The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sun 28 Apr 2024 02:49 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct 2014 10:07 PM 
Axe Slinger

I have a delima.

I recently purchased a Aria (Matsumoku) solid body electric guitar from a Japanese dealer. On receipt, it had damage that was not disclosed in the Ebay description and faulty electrics.

I requested a return under the sellers return policy which was rejected. I then used Paypal's dispute resolution which resulted in a full refund and return of the item - thanks Paypal.

I now have to give feedback on the seller on Ebay. The delima is, if I give negative feedback it may impact his ebay reputation. I don't necessarily want to do this as I am a business person myself and some times things just go wrong for no particular reason - maybe an employee made a sloppy listing??

Do I give negative feedback and disclose the return of the item or give neutral feedback and say the problem was resolved?

I notice a prior feedback that went "neutral" and said "problem was resolved". Maybe that was unwritten code I should have picked up on??

Looking for input and encouragement

Thanks

Aria TA-100 (1982); Aria PE-175 Herb Ellis (1985); Aria TE500 Backaroo (1975); Aria ES700; Aria RS600H; Aria RS Special V; Aria RS Inazuma (x2); Aria RS Wildcat; Aria RS Bobcat; Aria Diamond LP; Vantage Invader 2; Maton CJ85; Ibanez BTB 670 Bass

PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct 2014 11:40 PM 
Virtuoso

Why did the seller reject the return? What was the damage?
Personally, as much as I'd like to leave neg feedback, I'd go neutral because it was resolved. You didn't get the guitar and it was a pain but you aren't really out anything.
Always check feedback. It doesn't guarantee a smooth transaction but neutrals are probably situations just like this.

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct 2014 02:49 PM 
Axe Slinger

Thanks Jorg.

There was a crack in the body over the electrical components which was probably the cause of the electrical fault. The seller said there was full disclosure but there was only one very poor image with reflections that disguised the damage and nothing in the discription.

I agree, I will go with neutral.

Aria TA-100 (1982); Aria PE-175 Herb Ellis (1985); Aria TE500 Backaroo (1975); Aria ES700; Aria RS600H; Aria RS Special V; Aria RS Inazuma (x2); Aria RS Wildcat; Aria RS Bobcat; Aria Diamond LP; Vantage Invader 2; Maton CJ85; Ibanez BTB 670 Bass

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct 2014 03:02 PM 
Virtuoso

Was the crack noticeable? What model guitar? I'd have been tempted to keep/fix it anyway if the price was reasonable.

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct 2014 06:53 PM 
Virtuoso

I would go negative. You had to go to a third party to get things resolved. If you had been able to get them resolved directly I would have gone nutural if it was a hassle or positive if it was smooth (recognizing that problems happen and a smooth resolution is a good transaction).

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct 2014 03:11 PM 
Axe Slinger

Jorg wrote:
Was the crack noticeable? What model guitar? I'd have been tempted to keep/fix it anyway if the price was reasonable.

The crack was about 12 cm long over the cavity housing the electrical components and just above the volumn/tone knobs. Very noticable to look at. The electrical issues could have been resolved with the right tools and experience (which I lack), some time and maybe some parts.

The bidding on this item was very strong so the price ended up at the top of my range which I believe was too much for an item requiring repair(s). If I thought it needed repairs I would not have bid on it.

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct 2014 06:20 PM 
Virtuoso

The seller probably refused due to the pic. Regardless of clarity, he probably felt it was documented. Not the kind of people you want to do business with but, a few "neutrals" in feedback should always throw up a red flag.