The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Tue 14 May 2024 07:04 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Model ID required
PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug 2008 05:19 PM 
Power Chorder

Hi Folks. Johnnyram newbie to this site & forum here.

I'm from the UK and this is my guitar http://www.matsumoku.org/models/ariapro ... /pics.html on this site - it's under LS Transition, LS600 then LS600 right at the bottom of the page . . . or click the link; it's easier ! :-)

I submitted loads of details to the guy at therathole years ago but it all appears to have got lost in the transition. Not a word has come through but all the pics have.

Anyhow, I've spotted another Aria Pro II 2nd hand in a music shop and I'm having trouble identifying it - I've absolutely no idea where to start looking, but I know it's not an LS600 series at least - and it's not a semi solid either. I'd just like some details about its age etc. before I possibly buy it.

Basically it's a 6 string 'superstrat' - very nearly a strat shape, black, no pickguard, 2 x single coils, 1 x humbucker (bridge) with a pull coil tap in the volume control. It also has a Floyd Rose licensed tremelo system which looks to be in good condition - all virtually perfect apart from some dust and light useage marks where the picguard usually is.

Could anybody point me in the right direction please? If you need further details to assist in ID, I'll pop back in the shop and get further into if possible, but I don't want to keep hassling the guy and eventually not buy - maybe one more trip in might be in order.

Oh, and thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug 2008 05:44 PM 
Virtuoso

Hey Johnny. I couldn't find the exact model I was looking for but is this the correct body style?
http://www.matsumoku.org/models/ariaproii/rs2/rs2.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug 2008 11:10 PM 
Virtuoso

When you swing back into the store pull out your digital and shoot a couple pics.

That would help a bunch in IDing that guitar.

Post subject: That might be it . . .
PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug 2008 11:22 PM 
Power Chorder

Jorg - thanks for the pointers.

It's something like that but not quite ! All the pickups are black and have pole pieces, the Floyd Rose is black, it has one tone & one volume control and the jack socket is at the bottom of the body near the strap button.

The guitar I've seen isn't quite a ST strat copy and maybe the horns aren't quite as pointed as the RS but I'll keep looking when time permits

Thanks again.
John R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug 2008 01:34 AM 
Power Chorder

jbyear1 - yes, really good idea !! I wish I'd taken the details from the headstock on Saturday but he had quite a few guitars I was interested in. I reckon the Aria felt nicest though.

It will be Saturday before I manage to get back there as I have a car to get through a MOT test so my evenings are pretty much spoken for this week.

John R

Post subject: OMG it's a Viper VP40
PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug 2008 11:55 AM 
Power Chorder

It's a Viper Series VP40 ! Very nice too it still looks.

Been in the shop tonight and found out exactly what it says on the headstock and the serial number.

I couldn't spot it in the catalogues and model numbers - no VPs !

Anyone any idea where it might be from please ? Age ? Approximate value ? Maybe a lot to ask but . . .

Ahhh . . . http://www.ariaguitars.com/int/00int_ma ... deg03.html this website says it's approx 1990-92. I'll search further. Later.

Any pointers to other websites would be most welcome. :-)

Thanks in advance

JohnR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 06 Aug 2008 09:26 AM 
Virtuoso

Early 90's would put its as post Matsumoku. Is it MIJ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 06 Aug 2008 10:48 AM 
Power Chorder

Scuse my ignorance - what's MIJ ?

I'm interested in where it might have been made and it's retail price in 1991/2 - I've found something in and old Guitar mag - VP 50s are £429, VP60s £499 but nothing for a VP40 yet - not many mags left to look through from that era.

Found a couple of pics (only 2) on tinterweb and would like more.

Maybe I'm on the wrong site for a post-Matsomuko - are there other boards around for later Arias ?

Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 06 Aug 2008 03:59 PM 
Power Chorder

I get it - there at the top of the page !!

(Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)

Guess I'm on the wrong site after all.

Must be something pretty wrong with Arias after 1987 - I've read through most of the FAQ and Rants and can't quite make out why later Arias are so reviled (maybe not the right word) /ignored. Like a violent takeover or something . . . ?

Anybody handy with the cut & paste could point out the relevent section where whatever happened happened . . . ?

Thanks for all contributions so far. Looking foward to any more answers anyone can supply.

And I'm still the owner of my LS600D VS from 1980 - serial no. 069003 . . . maybe even post my original contribution if I can find it.

And I'll be back next week to shock you with a VP40 (I hope) !! 8-)

Regards for now
JohnR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 06 Aug 2008 04:09 PM 
Power Chorder

OK.

Just had a look at the Post Matsumoku models (all labels) section - I see where the site is coming from and expect this thread to get moved there anytime soon.

I must say I agree with the stance taken. No problem with me.

The only other thing to say is that the geetar in question has a bolt (screw) on neck and the serial no 900827.

I'll get me coat . . . :o