The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Wed 15 May 2024 07:45 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar 2010 05:07 PM 
Virtuoso

Right, expressions of interest, points of view, helpful hints, etc. all welcome here!! Come on, fellas; lets see if there's some way to make it happen!! :)

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar 2010 05:35 PM 
Virtuoso

Thanks for the podium John. Here's my initial thoughts. Travelling half way around the globe is no option for me (that goes for most of us, I guess). But the idea itself is very appealling. If the MAA-meeting would take place somewhere in Western Europe (somewhere between Sweden, Austria, UK (incl channel isles), Holland ... Belgium comes to mind. Or Denmark maybe? I would certainly try to get there. As for accomodation; I wouldn't mind tents and a campfire at all :)

Just my first thoughts ...
Kees.

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar 2010 05:46 PM 
Virtuoso

I hear ya John,but on the other hand the world HAS gotten smaller and airfaires ain´t the end of the world anymore.
Furthermore,i guess what started out as a bar room brawl joke-MAA-has become nomenclature in rather short time.
What i´m saying is that us hardcore boys to a larger or lesser degree bleed for this our hobby and interest.

TBH...the difference in mileage to for instance Spain for us up here vs the NAEastern seaboard) boys ain´t all THAT much..europe is a rather large place.

The drive,the motor,here is and will be our pride&joy in the Uncle Mat guitars.

I agree.
All of this is pretty thin from many respects,but if we don´t at least shoot the idea around...then we can be for sure it´ll never happen.
What´s more i´d say that an event like that wouldn´t be to sweep all of us into the deal,but more to have a GTG of at least bigger proportions than "from around town".

I´ll try n post an example.
Sweden is a rather large country.
More to the point it´s tall.Very even.
Right now i´m involved on putting together a GTG for mercedes enthusiasts.
Going to be held about 60km out of gothenburg.
Now...those that will attend from really up north will have LONGER to drive than some of our guests showing up from France,Holland et al and they´ll STILL make the trip.
As a roadtrip.
By car. :D

I´d say that if we leave members time to plan this and take it all in....just might be that we´re able to pull something off here,and that would be REALLY cool if you ask me.
Me for instance....i´d be ever so happy to come visit you on Jersey,Sursey or thereabouts.No issues what so ever to me,and i gather some of the other boys up here.

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar 2010 07:40 PM 
Virtuoso

OK. Jesper, you're a starter for a gtg in western Europe and some of the other Vikings'd be up for it as well. Kees, too, I'm guessing - you'd be OK with Western Europe. Now there are quite a few Westone bods in the UK and Europe as well; are they welcome if I put the word out there? after all, the more the merrier and perhaps the more we have, the less things will cost in the long run? I mean, I stopped sleeping in tents many, many years ago....

See how this is going to be exclusive to the Europeans in this case; unless the Americans and Canadians can get really cheap air fares.... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed 10 Mar 2010 04:50 AM 
Virtuoso

John.
What normaly kills a roundtrip of those proportions aint the tickets but accomodations and living expenses if you ask me.
Dunno from the states these days,but we get a roundtrip for new york at approx 300 euro.
Not exactly the end of the world from a vacation POW IMO,and air faires within the US aint exactly expensive either.

More of an issue in that case is what you bring up.
Where to go and where to dwell.
Thing is that outside the mainstreak tourist areas you can get more simple hotelrooms around mid europe at reasonable fairs...
I mean..an ok double at 40+ euros has to be considered reasonable at least,and then often incl breakfast.

PostPosted: Wed 10 Mar 2010 05:56 AM 
Virtuoso

My way of thinking atm would be some kind of village hall type thing somewhere, where we could also crash for a couple of nights on camp stretchers? :-? :D
More to the point, though, is the gear we're going to need to make a Matsumoku guitar gabfest work; amplifiers, cabs, security for the participants gear.... I mean, it makes my head spin just thinking about it..... and then trying to pre-empt any possible bottlenecks/problems!! :hyper:

PostPosted: Wed 10 Mar 2010 11:41 AM 
Virtuoso

For those who could drive to a location I could see it working but trusting your most precious Matts to an airline; that is another story. The cost of flight cases (not just hard case) on top of the flight and acomadations would be a hard sell. BTW, the Electra page had a get together last summer and by all reports it was a success. Lack of $$'s kept me away but things are looking more optomistic for this year.

PostPosted: Wed 10 Mar 2010 06:00 PM 
Virtuoso

RSBBass wrote:
the Electra page had a get together last summer and by all reports it was a success

Yes, they did... with prizes of guitars and everything!!! :o :D

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar 2010 02:54 AM 
Virtuoso

I'd certainly like to meet you guys, but health issues prohibit me from traveling very far (as well as an absolute lack of finances). However, if things improve (I'll be busting my butt for the next two years just to get in half-way decent shape), the interest is still there, & you haven't already had the Great MAT Summit, I'll keep my fingers crossed for then (it will make playing guitar very difficult in the meantime). :D