The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Tue 14 May 2024 01:14 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Strat Day
PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov 2010 11:29 AM 
Virtuoso

Me and a friend had the idea of making theme evenings for guitar lovers.
We announced the first event via mails, telephone calls and facebook, and yesterday we celebrated the 1.Stratocaster day.
At the huge practising room of a befriended band we piled up 6 Fender amps, and waited for guests. The entrance ticket was a strat style 6-string. We ended up with 20 Fender Stratocasters from the last 5 decades, some G&Ls and some teles.
Everybody was allowed to test and to compare, no matter if it was a 5000.-$ sixties strat or a 2010 mexico made.
One strange strat: the 1983 US model: two knobs only, no diagonal jack, and a trem system without spring cavity at the backside!

The result: the difference in quality is not as big as the difference in price and image. There was a mexico classic player that was far better than some US models.
Another result: empty beer cans and some fine sessions....

great evening! Now we're working on a LP style evening, and if I clean up my music room, we could make an eighties Japan evening as well ! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe9mtqt7Z-0&feature=player_embedded

Last edited by mozart on Sat 13 Nov 2010 06:28 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Strat Day
PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov 2010 04:31 PM 
Virtuoso

What a brilliant idea Johann! Love the concept! Great video too, but way too short. More please if you have it! :up:
How many people came all together?

What you said about there not being such a big difference between good quality brands is interesting. Marketing can sometimes blind us to the true value of some of the lesser known labels. For instance, I would wager my Westone Concord II would measure up very well indeed at this party. My guitar tech helped me shim the neck on mine last week to get rid of a bow, and when he played it afterwards, through a thumping big Marshall stack, he declared that it "sounded just like a Strat"! High praise indeed from an experienced player.

Hey, don't forget the Telecasters next time; some good ones there; just ask Corsair! And I think my Vintage TC200BD would put in a good showing too!

PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov 2010 07:14 PM 
Virtuoso

Only this one short video, Barry. Someone made it with his pocket-camera while we played some funky stuff :lol:
But most of the time its been just testing, comparing necks, checking pickups, talking shop,...
Reminded me acoustically of friday afternoons at music shops, when all the kids are playing the same metallica riff on the brand new guitars. :wink:
How many people? Hard to tell. There was a coming and going. I'd say about 20 who brought guitars and another 15 or 20 who just dropped by to watch or listen or for a beer.

Interesting: an old vintage strat looses most of it's fascination if you play her for quite a time. You expect the
BIG difference because of the price tag or the "vintage mojo". But it's just a guitar! We had 2 sixties strats,
and 4 or 5 from each the sevienties, eighties, nineties and zero years there, and in every decade-group there were good or not so good guitars, or let's better say, guitars you like and guitars you like less.

Yep-no mats at the start on this evening. Got to get me a 3 single coil Avenger for the next Strat day!! :D

Last edited by mozart on Mon 15 Nov 2010 12:32 PM, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat 13 Nov 2010 02:03 AM 
Virtuoso

I'm not surprised by the fact that a Mexican-made Str@ outranked some American made models. Back in the 80s & 90s, a lot of the most highly-skilled luthiers employed by the big American companies with facilities in the western U.S. were Mexicans--I know of one factory where 90% of the manufacturing employees knew little or no English, & they made some of the nicest hard-rock "players" of the period (I have a [non-F___er] "Made in U.S.A." guitar from that factory that's for all intents & purposes 100% Mexican made, & it's the nicest guitar I have from both a playability & tone standpoint).

Here's something I've learned about Str@s: The most common body woods used on them (alder & ash) are not the wood preferred by most players from a tone standpoint. The body wood that most T & Str@ players will gravitate to (2 or 3 single coils with a maple neck, assuming they can't identify the body wood by sight) is poplar.

However, poplar isn't used much because it has a green caste that doesn't look all that great with the popular transparent finishes, & more guitar players would rather have a "prettier" finish on a marginally poorer sounding guitar than an "uglier" finish on a marginally better sounding guitar. I happen to think poplar looks pretty sharp with a blue/green stain (or blue/green clear--a little more green than blue)--& it's cheap to boot.

PostPosted: Sat 13 Nov 2010 07:00 AM 
Virtuoso

I don't think it's possible to catagorize body woods in general. It's always the combination of body, neck, pickups and construction that makes the "sound",(and your fingers of course). And it depends on your personal taste. My japanese, fujigen made strat is made of basswood, for example, but it sounds great. For me she's sounding better than my alder american standard. But for an exact A-B body test I would have to use the same neck and the same electronics. Sounds like an interesting idea! :D
As for Mexico - America: I've owned several mexican 7enders, but didn't like them. I do believe it's allowed to say: MOST OF the mexican made 7enders are worse than their US counterparts! But there ARE exceptions!

Another thing I've learned at the Strat Day: Floyd Rose is a soundkiller for strats! Kills the treble and the twang!

Back to Matsumoku: is there any mat built 3-single coil guitar (besides the Vantage Avanger) that is worth a look - in comparison to a good 7ender strat ??

PostPosted: Sat 13 Nov 2010 08:21 AM 
Virtuoso

mozart wrote:
Back to Matsumoku: is there any mat built 3-single coil guitar that is worth a look - in comparison to a good 7ender strat ??

Yep; Westone Concord III and the Electra Phoenix X140 & X145 spring immediately to mind and APII did the RS 600, 750 and 850.

http://www.matsumoku.org/models/ariaproii/rs1/rs1.html

http://www.westone.info/concord3.html

http://www.rivercityamps.com/electra/x145.php

http://www.rivercityamps.com/electra/x140.php

APII also did a straight Strat copy which from what I can make it is a very nice instrument indeed....

http://www.matsumoku.org/models/ariapro ... st/st.html

PostPosted: Sat 13 Nov 2010 08:30 AM 
Virtuoso

I have encontered some MIM that were really great, those also had upgraded components to bring them to par...

I agree with the list that Corsair wrote, I've been looking for a Cocord myself but always got outbid. That being said, the Avenger AV- 330MX is still the best! :wink:

P.

PostPosted: Sat 13 Nov 2010 09:27 AM 
Virtuoso

I have a Yamaha Pacifica that I upgraded the hardware and pups on (Lace single coils and an MMK45 in the bridge). The body is agathis (SP?) which is in the mahogany family. She still sound very Strat like. I think the bridge setup has a lot to do with the sound.

PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov 2010 01:57 AM 
Virtuoso

Quote:
I don't think it's possible to catagorize body woods in general.

I think that's the best way to classify tone woods. It's true that if you try to classify individual specimens by the statistical "norm", it isn't all that difficult to find outliers that defy the norm (& combine them with the right hardware, p'ups, & neck, & you can work the tone a good amount). However, if you're looking for a certain tone, it's easier to find what you're looking for if you start with generalities & search for an optimum specimen within a category. Trying to find a particular body wood that generates a tone outside of its general characteristics is much more difficult.

F___er did a "player preference" test a long ways back. They put together a number of T's (I think it was 10 each of alder & poplar bodies) with very similar necks & electronics--& they painted all the bodies black to make the study "blind". There was some overlap in the middle of the range, but the top 7 or 8 (by player consensus) had poplar bodies.

I've put together a number of parts Str@s (many moons ago), & the ones that really stood out (at least for THE Str@ sound) were poplar (this was before I was aware of the F___er study)--it's coincidental, but my main player has a poplar body (I didn't know what it was when I bought it--it just had more projection & expansive tone than anything I'd picked up to that point, & it was cheap because it was quite worn).

if you limit yourself to finished production guitars, you're 100% right--throw the rules out the window. Poly & catalyzed urethane finishes smother some of the tonal differences, & chances are you're not going to find a poplar Str@ or T anyway. However, if you put one together from parts, give poplar a fair shake. It's cheap, & generally speaking, it sounds good (avoid the super lightweight bodies--they can sound dead & mushy).

I'm not surprised that basswood would make a good Str@. I'm more accustomed to hearing it with humbuckers, though.

Quote:
It's always the combination of body, neck, pickups and construction that makes the "sound",(and your fingers of course). And it depends on your personal taste.

I agree 100%.

With the options available today, it's easy to put together a good-sounding Str@ with any number of woods.

I'd note that some modern "super hot" p'ups can overwhelm any wood.

You couldn't be more right about Floyds (the licensed ones can be even worse). I fixed the problem (FINALLY) on my "fusion MIJ Kramer" with a big brass replacement tone block (from Pro Rock Gear--the block is so big, I had to set up the trem "down only"). As I get the $$$ & time, I'll replace the blocks on my other Floyds.

Quote:
As for Mexico - America: I've owned several mexican 7enders, but didn't like them. I do believe it's allowed to say: MOST OF the mexican made 7enders are worse than their US counterparts! But there ARE exceptions!

I agree again. I think there are 3 major reasons for this: (1) F___er USA routes higher grade wood to USA factories & lower grade wood to Mexico (ditto for hardware & pickups); (2) F___er brings the better Mexican luthiers in its employ to the US; & (3) It looks like F___er limits the refinements on MIM guitars. Gotta maintain brand perception & product differentiation to justify the "USA" up-charge.

Great thread, mozart. I wish there were more MAT alternatives available, but the ones I like are out of my price range. I wonder how a U 70 would compare with both humbuckers cut.

PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov 2010 12:29 PM 
Virtuoso

Quote:
F___er did a "player preference" test a long ways back. They put together a number of T's (I think it was 10 each of alder & poplar bodies) with very similar necks & electronics--& they painted all the bodies black to make the study "blind". There was some overlap in the middle of the range, but the top 7 or 8 (by player consensus) had poplar bodies.

Interesting test! Never heard of that before! But, if it's cheap and - at the same time - generating more tone, why don't they use poplar for their non-transparent coloured guitars?
Too light weighted, and therefore bad for the weight configuration: maple neck - traditional body size ???