The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 01:13 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: bass amp
PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr 2011 11:52 AM 
Virtuoso

As far as the head goes you can try it, you may like it. I wouldn't use the cabinet at high volumes though. It is unlikely that the speakers used have the throw (distance the coil has to move) to handle high volume bass. If you want a nice sound the suggestion of one 15" with a horn is good as is two cabinets, one 15" and one with two 10".

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr 2011 12:12 PM 
Virtuoso

Location: Grand Absurdity, VA, temporary refuge of the Hollywood Avenger
Slylock wrote:
Thanks for the input.

There is a fair bit of info on the Ampeg tube heads on the 'net, and from what I've read there's not a LOT of difference between them, guitar or bass. As long as you are not an idiot, you can make a few easy changes to the guitar head that would allow the full "punch" of your bass to shine through.
The cab and speakers are a different kettle of fish, but I can always get 4x12" bass speakers for the cabinet if it's warranted. It's an older V4 cab, so it's built like a brick craphouse. It wouldn't suck, I'm sure of that, and cost a whole lot less than a new Ampeg SVT and cabinet setup.

I've talked to the owner, and he's happy with me coming over and plugging my bass in for a test drive this weekend. We'll see what happens. :wink:

- Mike

Sounds like you're being realistic...the head might need some extra reserve power (mod/upgrade caps) and tone control tweaks (change frequency centers) while the cab might need minimal extra bracing & a swap of drivers. Might also look into porting the cab (experiment with a new ported/removable rear panel?) if that would increase efficiency or low range with the new drivers. You could even put in a divider to isolate one or two original drivers (top two?), and put in a passive crossover (or outboard active for bi-amp) to run mids/highs to the OEM drivers & lows to new beefier drivers in lower two spots (simulating the 15" + 2 x 10"s that RSB mentioned above).

je

1981 AV-320
1981 AV-320
1981 AV-325
1982 AV-320
1982 VS-695-12
1982 VSH-445
1983 AV-330
1995 VST 33 CE TBK

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr 2011 02:57 PM 
Virtuoso

Squid Head wrote:
You could even put in a divider to isolate one or two original drivers (top two?), and put in a passive crossover (or outboard active for bi-amp) to run mids/highs to the OEM drivers & lows to new beefier drivers in lower two spots (simulating the 15" + 2 x 10"s that RSB mentioned above).

Brilliant! Since there is no rush to get this setup "gig ready" I think I will do just that. Thanks!

- Mike

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr 2011 03:41 PM 
Virtuoso

Location: Grand Absurdity, VA, temporary refuge of the Hollywood Avenger
Slylock wrote:
Squid Head wrote:
You could even put in a divider to isolate one or two original drivers (top two?), and put in a passive crossover (or outboard active for bi-amp) to run mids/highs to the OEM drivers & lows to new beefier drivers in lower two spots (simulating the 15" + 2 x 10"s that RSB mentioned above).

Brilliant! Since there is no rush to get this setup "gig ready" I think I will do just that. Thanks!

- Mike

There's more to this than just carpentry- for the passive crossover you'd need to choose a crossover frequency & slope, and also know/estimate the relative efficiencies & impedances of the differing drivers (or, at least put in a way to control the mid/high volume level relative to the lows) and you'd want to find the best internal cabinet volume for your low-end drivers (they may want more space in the cab than your mid/high drivers). The low speakers might also benefit from a port, and you might even find that you'd like the mid/high drivers to have an open back (look up the Mesa Halfback cabs to see what I mean). You don't want the back-pressure from your "low" drivers to cause your "mid/high" drivers' cones to try to jump out through the grille.

For an active bi-amp situation, the cabinet issues remain but you'd need two input jacks + an active crossover & two power amps.

This would be a pretty cool stealth-looking project if it all still looks stock afterwards. :up:

je

1981 AV-320
1981 AV-320
1981 AV-325
1982 AV-320
1982 VS-695-12
1982 VSH-445
1983 AV-330
1995 VST 33 CE TBK

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr 2011 10:27 AM 
Virtuoso

After doing a thorough check and test-flight on the weekend, I decided to take a pass on the rig. It wasn't bad for the money, but it wasn't in as good shape as I was hoping, and I'm too busy to take on a big project right now.

So, that leaves me with a bit of a dilemma...

The new bass amps by Carvin and Genz Benz really catch my eye.... small, powerful, versatile, and portable, with a price that matches what I'm looking at spending.

I've kind of narrowed it down to one of the following rigs:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/bassamps/microbass.php MB15 with a http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BR210-8C that I can add on for larger rooms... total price less than 800.00, shipped.

OR

http://genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=2258&sid=610&cid=95 by itself, about 1000.00 or so all in.

So.... thoughts? My current rig is a Kustom 65watt combo that I play alone in my basement or small (very small) venues, and my buddy has a Hartke 4x10 that I add on when needed, but it still lacks the warmth, tone, and punch that allows me to be heard above two guitars and a drummer. It needs to go.

- Mike

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr 2011 10:46 AM 
Virtuoso

Either of those amps is going to be a big step up from the Kustom. Both companies are have good reputations. If you have the money I would go for the Genz-Benz as you may never need to buy another bass amp while you may find that the Carvin is too small for some situations (e.g.,outdoor gigs).

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr 2011 11:33 AM 
Virtuoso

Just my take on these....
I use older equipment, that being said. I use different tube Traynor or Garnet heads for small venues or pratice...

My favorite is my Acoustic 370 head with either a 1X15, 2X15 or 2 2X15 cab for larger venues or outside... I have not looked at any new bass amp in the last 8 years... I like the old tones I get with my old gear.... I tried several amps in rented studio's and never liked my sound.....

My 2 cents...

Mike, you being in Canada I would really recomend a Traynor YBA2 for practice.... great amps for both bass and guitar...

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr 2011 11:45 AM 
Virtuoso

Frenchy wrote:
Mike, you being in Canada I would really recomend a Traynor YBA2 for practice.... great amps for both bass and guitar...

Thanks for the input. I've looked at a lot of amps online, and tried a few "in store" recently. Not a lot of selection up here in the north country, though, and it's really "hit and miss" if you want to buy used.

It's also hard to compete with what you can get new, these days. Look at these combo amps from Carvin:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/bassamps/basscombos.php

Amazingly versatile, powerful, and inexpensive. Really hard to beat that price, shipped, even buying used gear. That 515 combo is sweet. :wink:

- Mike

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr 2011 05:09 PM 
Virtuoso

Good topic. I'm currently on the hunt to upgrade/upsize my bass rig, and have gone through a number of them in the last 30 or so years, so here goes. :D

I'm currently using either a Genz-Benz M-200T (200w combo w single 12)or an Eden WTX260 (one of those 260W class D "mini" heads, about 6 lbs) with either 1 or 2 single 15" cabs loaded with EVM speakers. For bigger shows, I've been known to slave a 1,000W Crown amp and add another 15 or two.

I've always LOVED the sound of tube heads for bass, but it's not for everyone. I used a HiWatt Custom 50(!) for a long time with 2 of the single 15's. Not a ton of headroom, but WHAT A SOUND! :D If I had unlimited funds (and a roadie) I'd be using the HiWatt 400 Bass rig with an 8x10 or 2.Listen to the Stranglers for a good idea of the p-bass/HiWatt combo.

I'm currently looking at a "vintage" SWR 400 and Goliath 4x10 as my upgraded rock rig. The aforementioned genz and Eden are just a little shy in the power department for some of my current gigs, and the outdoor fetival season is upon us.

Being a Canadian and all, I think I'd be on the hunt for a vintage Traynor rig, and the Genz-Benz would be my second choice. Not a lot of first hand experiance with Carvin amps (though I had one of the basses). Seems to be a lot of mixed opinions on the new stuff.

my 2cents!

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr 2011 05:50 PM 
Virtuoso

Gribb59 wrote:
Being a Canadian and all

Are you Canadian Grigg :huh:

Personally I would never buy a combo for playing with a band.... First off, it would be to heavy and if its not to heavy, it would not be powerfull enough....

The Traynor combo practice amps that I have for home use are about 65 lbs and are only 15-20 watts... but are as powerfull as what is sold for 100 watt these days....lol

A good cab is heavy, for bass I use 15" all the time and they are heavy... a 2x15 is almost twice as heavy...90 lbs... I would really hate to add the head weight on top of that ....

The downfall of playing bass is the huge equipment and the weight, also, always have a transistor head as a backup when using tube heads.... word of advice.....

P.

am up to 5 cents now I guess....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next