The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 03:29 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
PostPosted: Sun 30 Oct 2011 11:57 PM 
Virtuoso

D'Addario 9-42 on the standard guitars, Optima Gold 9-54 custom set on the seven-string, D'Addario 45-130 Prosteels on five-string bass, D'Addario EXL 40-90 on four-string bass, Dean Markley Blue Steel on the acoustics and normal Blue Steels on guitars built or retrofitted with EVO or stainless steel fretwire. Considering balanced sets on bass, but cost means pre-made sets are cheaper.

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov 2011 04:04 PM 
Virtuoso

Hey guys.

Haven't been able to keep up with the boards, but here's my belated input:

D'Addario Nickel Round Wound (not the pure nickel, which I'd really like to try). I REALLY stocked up on XL 120s back in the 80s & early 90s--there was a shop about an hour from here that sold them for $2.99 a set into the early 90s--I bought as many as I could afford every time I was in that town--I'm just a set or two away from being down to my last 10-pack. I like the sound (sometimes a little bright, but nothing a tone knob can't fix), I like the feel, & I get a LOT of life out of them. I like them better after they've gone dead for rhythm (which is the bulk of music anyway)--it worked out pretty well changing strings in rotation (barring a break, I could get 9 months to a year out of a set with 6 guitars). Now I don't play nearly as much as I'd like (& there are more guitars).

.009-.042 on Floyd-equipped guitars, F scales that can't take any heavier, & the Urchin U-70 (which is a hair longer)
As heavy as the others can take (usually .012s, but one has a made-up set with a .016 top)
I only have 1 electric with a scale shorter than F scale--Kramer Al-neck (25"). No G scales. I haven't found one I really liked that I could afford. :bawl:

D'Addario Flat Wound Chromes Jazz Light .011-.050 on the PE-180 (I think about going heavier, but the I was conservative with the first set I put on it, they worked out perfectly, & I don't want to mess around with it)

D'Addario Bronze .013-.056 on acoustic (the new ones seem brighter, which I'm not crazy about). Any ideas? Anybody ever put Gypsy Jazz on a flat-top?

D'Addario ??? on the bass (they're pretty light, & they have brass pre-"green" color-coded balls)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just to note:

I didn't like F_____ or G_____ strings when I was learning to play--they seemed stiff & dull (they were both made by the same company back then). Haven't tried them since.

GHS strings seemed stiffer & were much harder on frets (15+ years ago)--at least on electric.

Back then, Ernie Ball & Dean Markley electric strings seemed to break way too easily.

I didn't keep up with the "string explosion" because I was already well-stocked & I'm a C.B.

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov 2011 05:35 PM 
Virtuoso

Well, i bought a $125 epiphone case for my guitar the day before guitar center had the 11/11/11 coupon emailed out, so i went back and got my 11%back from the case and bought 3 sets o strings, so i have 4 sets of ernie reg. slinkys to work thru before i get more strings...LOL :D

So far i love the tone outta them with the fat mats singles... Im curious if anyone knows if the trapezoids are supposed to be p90 ish or no? Im thinking bout swapping them out for a set of dog ear p90s, but not sure how different they would be other than looks.....

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov 2011 12:52 AM 
Axe Slinger

Ernies, regular slinky ( just because i like the colour of the package :D ) , 10/46 on my electrics and D'Adarios 12/52 ? (i'm not shure, but they're pain in the ass for me :cry: ) on my yumbo

greetz

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov 2011 11:27 AM 
Virtuoso

Hahaha it is a pretty yellow/green neon color isnt it? :wink:

PostPosted: Wed 23 Nov 2011 03:12 AM 
Axe Slinger

Bogieboy wrote:
Hahaha it is a pretty yellow/green neon color isnt it? :wink:

yy :D

PostPosted: Wed 23 Nov 2011 10:01 AM 
Axe Slinger

I'm a fan of the light top/heavy bottom GHS Boomers custom lights. I'm also a fan of Elixir strings too, so I got a pack of the 9 -42's. My Gibby really honks with the 9 - 46's though.

PostPosted: Wed 23 Nov 2011 01:38 PM 
Virtuoso

LOL if i pull out a hard/thick pick, my 330 copy can honk all day long......LOL i typically run a .073 brain pick (made by snarling dogs) but if i pull out a 1.0+ thick pick, its country honk all day long.....LOL

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan 2012 09:19 PM 
Axe Slinger

As far as picks, lately I've been using JD 88's (Jim Dunlop Nylon .88mm).

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb 2012 07:56 PM 
Virtuoso

.045-.105 nickels - preferably Hartke, but they seem to have all but disappeared in the UK. Shame as they're stupendous value - cheap as chips, & very long lasting (I've worn through the nickel on the set on the SB-900 & they still sound great.)

The exception is the fretless which is currently sporting a set of .045-.105 Rotosound Pressurewounds.

Picks? Dunlop 1mm black nylon. Bulk pack of 72 from the US via the 'bay.

P.