The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Mon 20 May 2024 06:37 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Identifying this model
PostPosted: Tue 30 Jul 2013 09:22 PM 
Gallery Friend

I've looked through the site at every model that sort of applied to mine but still can't really identify the exact series it belongs to. I have what looks to be a Les Paul with a bolt on neck. The headstock has an inlay sort of like Gibson type of crown but looks more like a leaf than a crown. The truss cover reads custom. The neck plate reads Made in Japan, Matsumoku L780074 . I'm assuming it's built in 1978. Its is a Cherry burst with a 5 ply bound body, block inlays, bound neck and headstock. 2 humbuckers, 2 vol., 2 tone, 3 way toggle and a 2 way split coil tap switch. Like I said, I can't find this model on the main pages and was wondering if anyone has seen one of these before or do I have a unicorn. I've had this guitar since the mid 80's I bought from a friend who was the original owner that gave up guitar playing. Any help identifying this guitar would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jul 2013 10:41 PM 
Virtuoso

Welcome Joeglow.
Pics would certainly help. Is it a straight up LP copy or is it slightly different?

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Thu 01 Aug 2013 10:49 AM 
Gallery Friend

Thanks for the welcome and response. :D

Hope these help a bit.

PostPosted: Thu 01 Aug 2013 10:56 PM 
Virtuoso

Wow, very nice.
I believe you have a '78 LC-430. http://www.matsumoku.org/models/ariapro ... trans.html
I'm not familiar with birch but a quick google search turned up pics of birch and maple that resemble yours. I think the 550 is a set neck though.
Also, the emblem is tight to the name rather than centered. Not sure how much that really means but I think its a 430. :D
That is known as a "Transition" headstock. If I understand correctly, after Aria became Aria Pro II ('77?), they moved away from copies and this headstock was used on their own designs from '78 to '79.
I don't think your pickguard is original. The knobs might not be either. Are they notched?
Either way, she looks great. Feel free to post close ups. :love:

PostPosted: Fri 02 Aug 2013 12:37 PM 
Gallery Friend

You're right, the pickguard is not original. I think the cream one broke. I honestly can't recall. The knobs are original as far as I know. The guitar plays extremely well. Action is amazing but the pickup out is kind of wimpy. They're not a high volume output, even with a lot of gain, they are weak. I'm keeping this guitar but was curious to what they are worth. Do I need to worry about gigging with it and something bad happening like it getting stolen bc it's valuable and I didn't know better?

PostPosted: Fri 02 Aug 2013 07:40 PM 
Virtuoso

Both pickups are weak? That's kind of odd for that time period, huh?
Has it always been that way? Do you know if they have any markings on the underside?
These don't turn up every day but I wouldn't really call them rare. There are a few PE body guitars that go for mad money but I don't know about this one. I would guess $500 or less.

PostPosted: Sat 03 Aug 2013 05:34 AM 
Axe Slinger

Beautiful guitar!

PostPosted: Mon 05 Aug 2013 09:55 AM 
Virtuoso

Location: Grand Absurdity, VA, temporary refuge of the Hollywood Avenger
joeglow wrote:
You're right, the pickguard is not original. I think the cream one broke. I honestly can't recall. The knobs are original as far as I know. The guitar plays extremely well. Action is amazing but the pickup out is kind of wimpy. They're not a high volume output, even with a lot of gain, they are weak. I'm keeping this guitar but was curious to what they are worth. Do I need to worry about gigging with it and something bad happening like it getting stolen bc it's valuable and I didn't know better?

Clean the contacts and re-flow the solder on the toggle switch, and see if that gives you a healthier output.

je

1981 AV-320
1981 AV-320
1981 AV-325
1982 AV-320
1982 VS-695-12
1982 VSH-445
1983 AV-330
1995 VST 33 CE TBK

PostPosted: Mon 05 Aug 2013 03:46 PM 
Virtuoso

Gorgeous guitar! :up:
As Squid Head suggests, try a few squirts of contact cleaner in all the pots (NOT WD40!) Guitars of this vintage tend to build up some oxidation on the wipers which can throttle the signal quite significantly. It's the first thing to check and usually restores the output. The original pickups were more than capable of curling yer toes!