The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Mon 29 Apr 2024 11:09 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue 26 Dec 2023 11:25 AM 
Virtuoso

Merry Christmas to you too Trev. :santawink:
Some of us are still limping along on the Forum, but it's true that things ain't what they used to be.

However, it isn't only here. The same thing has happened on the Westone Forum as well, almost all the old regulars have disappeared. Along with the comradery that used to exist.

I don't know how the the traffic is on the Guitar Gallery, Neal can chime in on that one, but I can tell you that it has remained consistently brisk at Westone not only with the "lurkers" but also a lot of new registrations.

There's a lot of interest in Matsumoku out there and a lot of newbies inheriting or buying the instruments and wanting information. The difference is, there doesn't seem to be the depth of commitment to restoring or an appreciation of the Mats legacy.

Nor is there commitment to ongoing participation in the Forum community. It's more about getting instant answers, then moving on. Most interest revolves around missing trem bars and locking plates, or wanting to know "how much is it worth" kind of stuff. :roll:

Expert contributors like yourself Trev, are rare to non existent now, and sorely missed. You've certainly helped me in my Mats guitar understanding and how to make them great again. Thank you for that.

PostPosted: Tue 26 Dec 2023 12:59 PM 
Virtuoso

One thing that I believe lowers the number of members is that a person cannot join if they register with a hotmail, yahoo, etc email address. I remember that I had to use my employers email to create an account.

:-D

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec 2023 08:47 AM 
Virtuoso

Unfortunately most scammers and spammers LOVE disposable email accounts. We can allow disposable emails but I seriously doubt anyone would want to step up and start weeding them out along side me. There may be dozens a day and they lay eggs all over the forums.

Before I started using a text app that filters out spam and scam texts I would get dozens of spam/scam texts. Guess what email service nearly all of them used and the first two guesses don't count?

Some still get through here but since they are using bogus email addresses and domains they can never validate their accounts. Once a month I have to go in and ditch the inactive accounts and I usually find a months worth of them.

Convenience for a few means a lot more work for someone else (me). Others helped from time to time but that is on occasion, not regularly. In this case it is not one a-hole ruining it for everyone but a flood of a-holes.

Trevor wrote:
Nearly Ten years since I put this together & it's been adopted by most other Matsumoku brands.
So much work went into this & other Matsumoku research projects & still not even a Sticky.
No wonder most of the older more knowledgeable folk left this forum, such a shame.
Place is like a Friggin Cemetery.
Merry Christmas.

I missed your post asking this thread be made sticky. Up until April 10th of 2021 I worked full time and had a life so there are things I missed. There's this hidden feature on the board called Private Messages. Had you sent me one asking it be made sticky I would have happily done it. You have to keep in mind this is a one man show. Sure there has been help here and there but most of the time it is just me.

Had you sent me a PM asking why I hadn't made it sticky I would have apologized and explained then made it sticky. Lashing out at me helped nothing. I'm sorry it is a cemetery here. I'm sure it is my fault. You may be right, it is all because this thread was not sticky. It is now sticky and will remain at the top of the forum (although the post icon is still flashing as it is a popular thread, trust me, it is sticky). Would you prefer this thread were in another forum? Just say the word and it will be done.

you have no idea how many long hours We've put into gathering all this information, how much I've paid on hosting fees over the last 23 years, how many times I've had to move and re-configure the site, how much coding I've had to do, how much I've had to learn (Apache, PHP, mySQL, phpBB, Wordpress, Linux) so I didn't have to pay someone else to do it, how much myself and others have paid for catalogs, how much time myself and others put into scanning them in, cleaning them up and posting them, how many hours I've spent recovering from hacks and crashes (sometimes not sleeping before work, some taking weeks to figure out). Your contribution is greatly appreciated however there are many that came before and after you that contributed much more. No one knew what a Matsumoku was until this site was born.

Barry is correct. Forums are an outdated legacy in comparison to social media and most people want an instant answer and they're gone never to be heard from again. Facebook is great for this. We have literally hundreds of members with less than 5 posts.

This post sure made my Christmas Merry. Your heart warming and welcoming sentiment is reciprocated.

It's funny how people are quick to criticize and complain until THEY have to put the money, time and labor into something they take for granted. Just because it is free doesn't mean someone somewhere isn't footing the bill and putting in the work. And make ONE [Foul Language Used] mistake and you get raked over the coals.

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec 2023 10:30 AM 
Virtuoso

Having been a Database Developer for decades I can appreciate the work Crusty has done with this site. :thanks:

:-D

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec 2023 11:51 AM 
Virtuoso

I'll add my thanks (and commiserations) to Neal too. It's a lonely and sometimes miserable job looking after any public facing IT project.

There are always things that need doing and technical skills that need upgrading. It can be a rewarding experience at times too, but yes, if there's a screw up somewhere you're suddenly an incompetent meat head. This newbie generation is quick to jump on that bandwagon when they don't get instant gratification from their smart phones!

The biggest panic of all is to watch your fragile collection of electronic bits and bytes that you've sweated blood over, just disappear in an instance, and you don't know why! And the biggest hurt of all is to trust your work to someone else only to see it mutilated beyond understanding!

Neal, you've more than earned bragging rights, they're well deserved.
Illegitimi non carborundum :rofl:

PostPosted: Thu 28 Dec 2023 07:42 AM 
Virtuoso

It’s a real shame, but yeah; forums like these are a dying breed, with most new folk heading to social media for their info, only to find that FB pages are full of “Look at me!!” posts and as much misinformation as it is possible to get your head around; and the perennial ‘What’s my guitar worth?’ wankers…

I don’t know what the answer is - I used to frequent the FB Mat pages, but not so much anymore: far too many over-inflated egos and under-informed morons in there for me!

This particular forum - Crustys’ forum, if you will - is my legacy forum; it was here I came in 2006 to learn something about a guitar I had been playing since 1981, where I was made welcome by people from all over the world… I always come back here; I don’t post as much as I used to, but none of us do.

Does that mean we have forgotten about Matsumoku?? No… it does not: in my case it means that life is there to be lived, and I have other interests that clamour for my attention, simple as that!

And yeah… thanks, Neal, for keeping the flame burning all these years, mate - I’m quite sure Trevor meant no disrespect with the cemetery comment; just voicing what we must all sometimes feel!!

PostPosted: Thu 28 Dec 2023 05:58 PM 
Virtuoso

Hi I'm new here !

Thank you Crusty for the forum !

Merry X-mas to all ! :santanut: :santanut: :santanut:

Oh and whats the value of my guitars ? :loon:

:wink:

PostPosted: Thu 28 Dec 2023 06:56 PM 
Virtuoso

Et Joyeaux Noel a toi Pierre!

Oh, and you ain't "new"! :D

PostPosted: Fri 29 Dec 2023 11:53 PM 
Virtuoso

Barry wrote:
Et Joyeaux Noel a toi Pierre!

Oh, and you ain't "new"! :D

Thank You!

I still think of myself as new ! :D

Happy New Year ! :clap:

PostPosted: Sun 31 Dec 2023 12:47 AM 
Virtuoso

Hello everyone!! Merry effin christmas!

As a younger person than most who frequent forums like these(fresh 43 here, maybe i'm wrong?) I think there are several factors that contribute to low turnout.
This is a lo-fi operation(no offense intended, this is just my speed!) that requires the user to actually put forth a little effort to find the information. Technology is moving fast and this is an old school spot. I don't know much at all about programming but seems to me that this site is built more for a computer whereas most folks born after the mid seventies use a phone for things like this.
These guitars are old now. And i can't say for sure but it seems to me that the human attention span is shortening rapidly. :loon:
This is a tough one....... forums like this are a dying breed and maybe it's because some of the inhabitants might be as well. Just a fact of life.

Plenty of other reasons why there's low turnout, i'm sure, but i doubt it's because they felt unwelcome or underappreciated. As a newbie who hasn't yet......Thank you for your hard work, Trevor. I have certainly used it to my advantage and to help others. Your contributions are not lost.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next