The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 02:24 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Floating Tremolo Springs
PostPosted: Tue 31 Mar 2015 10:07 AM 
Power Chorder

Hello all. I had posted a question about my Act 3 tremolo a few days back. About tuning. After posting and all I was looking at the back springs and realized there are only 2 tremolo springsin the guitar. They are positioned like this /\ Is that OK? Should I have 3 like most of my other floaters or is it just a matter of preference. Does it go out of tune easier or less with 2 rather than 3 springs? As I said before I doall my own work on my guitars including soldering and fretwork etc but when it comes to floating tremolos I am terrible. Thanks!

83 Aria Pro Cardinal CS-350/400
For starters...lol

PostPosted: Tue 31 Mar 2015 04:20 PM 
Virtuoso

Two springs will make the bridge much easier to wobble; you'd have to be careful when palm muting that you didn't make it warble!

Personally, I use 4 as I've a bad habit of resting the heel of my hand on the bridge, which with 2 or 3 springs leads to less than perfect pitch!

And the /\ method of attching them is fine.

PostPosted: Wed 01 Apr 2015 08:50 AM 
Power Chorder

Hey Corsair. Well thanks again, lol. Yeah its definitely easier to whammy but I just didn't know if it would effect the tuning stability. Thanks bud.

83 Aria Pro Cardinal CS-350/400
For starters...lol

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr 2015 04:37 AM 
Power Chorder

Hi,

I red your question about tremolo, and it's very interesting. I play guitar since 46 years, and I have two ARIA excellent models
the first is an ARIA RS SPIRIT and with tremolo ACT 5 with knives and studs, it's floating, it's nearly less boaring than a Floyd Rose.
The second one is ARIA Stage III KPI with a kahler flyer tremolo.

The two tremolos are different cose they are not made for the same kind of music.
The first is floating but can't stay in tune if you play by pushing / pulling the tremolo, cose only own a lock nut, but not on the bridge !!!

The second one the flyer does n't have a hole in the body. The tremolo stay in tune a long time cose the strings can roll into pieces
and are never blocked !!!!!

The SPIRIT one have 3 springs but it depends on the length, the strongness and quality of metal.

If you remove one spring, retune the guitar and just listen to the sounds comportment, it you don't like either the sound
or the softness of the tremolo, you can try to put a 3rd spring that could be less strong and could fit with the tune will what you are waiting for
but the guitar will stay in tune and the tremolo a little bit harder.

One thing, don't buy bad springa on the net form China, they are lower than what you must put on your guitar, choose
USA JAPAN or EUROPEAN ones, for instance tremolos manufacturer for FLOYD ROSE is GERMANY which have a metal
which as enough quality for the hardness and utility and quality of sound and stay in tune, and sustain too.

Never forget, every time, you add or remove one spring, unlock the screws of the nut, and retune the strings, re-lock the screws
and see if the tune is for what you expect. If it's not the case, put a 3rd spring and buy it, in a guitar shop seller, you know,
generally they know different springs for types of guitars.

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr 2015 09:09 AM 
Virtuoso

hvymtl69 wrote:
Hey Corsair. Well thanks again, lol. Yeah its definitely easier to whammy but I just didn't know if it would effect the tuning stability.
No it won't affect tuning only the ease of using the trem.
You know, it's difficult to carry on a conversation in 2 posts. This topic belongs with your other post since it's part of the same issue.
http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12722#p75871