The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 18 Apr 2024 03:05 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri 27 Apr 2018 11:00 AM 
Prospective Member

Hi,

I have a Aria Pro II Magna 30 and I don't find any information about this guitar. There is no serial number on it, just a sticker saying 909539 (maybe it is the serial number...). I have no idea where this guitar comes from. It might not be japanese at all so I'm very sorry if this topic isn't where it should be but I didn't know where to post.

I think it's the same guitar as this one https://reverb.com/item/10711382-80-s-a ... ed-iss2053
But I'm not sure it is worth that kind of money ...

If anyone can provide information on this guitar and tell me whether it's a very common model or not and maybe an estimation, I would be very grateful !

PostPosted: Fri 27 Apr 2018 05:45 PM 
Virtuoso

Welcome!
I believe you are correct, they look to be the same. I'm not sure when/where they were made but I know it was not before 1987. The one on Reverb says 1987 but they just look early 90's to me. I certainly could be wrong, just my opinion.
Again my opinion, but I don't know about $900.
Typically, AP2 guitars don't command the price of bigger names even though they're probably just as nice or nicer than anything in their class.
If you're looking to sell it, see what you can get. Someone somewhere is bound to be looking for one just like it. I wonder how long that one has been listed?

It's not my cup of tea but I do dig the guitar. :jammin:

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Fri 27 Apr 2018 10:37 PM 
Virtuoso

Westone produced a Corsair model post-Mats in Korea called the Python.
It has the same feel about it with perhaps a nicer skin. An interesting idea but doesn't really turn my crank.
http://www.westoneguitars.net/guitars/corsair-series/corsair-gt-custom-we7450/

PostPosted: Sat 28 Apr 2018 06:56 PM 
Virtuoso

Oddly enough, I think the reverse head better suits it.
Now where is my spandex pants and frilly shirt. . . :rockwoot:

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Tue 01 May 2018 05:21 PM 
Prospective Member

Thank you for these informations. I am very sceptical about the price on reverb too.
I'd like to sell it but I can't figure out what would be a reasonable price.
Maybe 250-300 € ? Is that too high?

Thank you !

PostPosted: Fri 04 May 2018 06:11 AM 
Axe Slinger

If you're not sure where to pitch it, put it on ebay with the reserve you have in mind, or a bit higher, and see how it goes....

If it doesn't reach the reserve, you will at least know what other people think it's worth.

You could always see if you get a message from the high bidder after the event, and do a buy-it-now, or best offer listing for them to accept if you decide you still want to sell at that price.

PostPosted: Fri 04 May 2018 07:44 AM 
Virtuoso

That is the same model as mine - but with a sexier finish :D - that was purchased new in 1992. That number is very likely the serial number and is very close to mine (911184) - probably from 1989. The second and third digits might be the month of manufacture. Mine also has a " Made in Japan" sticker", as production of many models returned to Japan around 1989

I got mine, still in the (sealed) original box, around 2004 for 140 Euros and similar models (pre-2000) seem to fetch anywhere between 300-500 Euros on fleabay.

In my opinion, the newer Magna models (post 2010) do not come close to the older ones for sound (but the price is nice).

Pete

Uncle Mats ES-500, RS Wildcat, RSB Deluxe, FS-750, Magna MA 30 (non-Mat), TA-61 non-Mat), a Westone limited run/proto Thunder and an OAKLAND (Westone) XI100.

Pete