The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 12:23 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2019 06:03 PM 
Virtuoso

Wow, I really like that thing! If you ever decide to let it go. . . :devil2:

That's a brilliant instruction list Corsair.
If I could add just one thing - That's a lot of guitar for a beginner. It will aggravate you to no end until you get the hang of tuning. Take your time and learn how it all works and it will serve you well.
Remember, we're always here to answer questions or look at pictures.

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2019 08:43 PM 
Virtuoso

mrredpants900 wrote:
...Someone told him the pickups should be level with each other (you see the front one is say down and rear one is way up). Thoughts?!

No, they are not level exactly.

The poles on the bridge pickup need to be very close to the strings. You can use a thin coin like a dime as a rough gauge to start then adjust the gap a bit more until you get the optimum output.

It needs to be close at the bridge simply because there is not much string movement there (vibration) which means less output and less volume.

At the neck the opposite is true. There is more string vibration so the signal is stronger. You need then to lower the pickup so that it doesn't foul the string when strumming and make horrible noises. And as Corsair pointed out if the pickup is too close here the magnetic field is actually strong enough to affect the vibration pattern of the strings and cause distortion.

The neck pick up on your guitar is far too low and it's struggling to "hear" the strings. Again let you ears be your guide, it should be as loud as possible without causing noise or distortion.

edit / p.s. This is also why bridge pickups are always a bit hotter than the neck pickups

She looks really nice!

PostPosted: Tue 19 Nov 2019 04:23 PM 
Virtuoso

Jorg wrote:
If I could add just one thing - That's a lot of guitar for a beginner. It will aggravate you to no end until you get the hang of tuning. Take your time and learn how it all works and it will serve you well.

This. It's true that until you get your head around the way these actually work, they will aggravate and frustrate you; just be patient and the rewards will come!! And it's only the initial tuning we're talking about here - on a string change, etc. - tuning with fine tuners is easy-peasy!!

PostPosted: Thu 21 Nov 2019 11:54 AM 
Axe Slinger

When I started off with my first Trem equiped guitar, it took forever to get it in tune and the trem at a sensible angle.

My way is: -

Get all the strings attached, but set on the low side (use a proper tuner, don't try and do it but using the 5th fret / 4th fret method)

Tune up the thick string to E, next to A, next to D, next to G, next to B and the thin one to E

Once you have done this once, all of them apart from the very last one you tuned up will now be under pitch because the progressive adding of tension in all the strings causes the tremolo to tilt more....

Do it again from the thick string towards the thin one. They'll all be out again when you have done this, but by a bit less!

Do it again

and again

and again.

Now all the stings will be very close to the right pitch and a bit of a tweak on the fine tuners will get you there.

Now look at the angle of the trem. If the back is sticking up in the air, you need to compensate by tightening up the springs underneath. So, loosen the strings off a good bit before doing so. If it is hitting the back of the guitar, the springs need loosening.

Tune it up again. Have another look.

Eventually you get it in tune and with the trem at a reasonable angle so it works properly.

Nip up the string lock at the end of the neck.

Vow to never ever change your strings again....

PostPosted: Thu 21 Nov 2019 04:14 PM 
Virtuoso

splodger wrote:
...Vow to never ever change your strings again....
:rofl:
The only thing worse is tuning a 12 string guitar!

PostPosted: Thu 21 Nov 2019 04:56 PM 
Virtuoso

Barry wrote:
The only thing worse is tuning a 12 string guitar!

I've made it slightly less taxing by putting different buttons on the octave string machines on my VS696-12; works a treat and was something I pinched from the Vantage VA912.

It's easily done, too, as most of these things have Gotoh hardware and Gotoh still make these tuners and sell different buttons!

PostPosted: Wed 27 Nov 2019 05:10 PM 
Virtuoso

One useful item I picked up from a couple of axe builders here (Nik Huber for one) about setting the pickup height is to depress the E strings at the LAST fret , then adjust the neck PU to about 3mm and the bridge to 2 to 3mm. That's what all of my guitars are set at and my Wildcat and Magna 30 WAIL! These setting are "ballpark" ones, but they work perfect for me AND my son (the REAL shredder in the family :D ).

As mentioned, let your ears be the final judge.

Pete

Uncle Mats ES-500, RS Wildcat, RSB Deluxe, FS-750, Magna MA 30 (non-Mat), TA-61 non-Mat), a Westone limited run/proto Thunder and an OAKLAND (Westone) XI100.

Pete

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2023 04:40 PM 
Gallery Friend

Reviving this old post

Considering passing this guitar on to someone else. Back then there was some interest in it so I figured I'd ask here first.

It's exactly as pictured except, Murphy's law, we lost one of the knobs!

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2023 11:24 PM 
Virtuoso

That's a sweet axe! I'd be all over it but not much on locking trems. Looks to be in pretty good condition too!

Hopefully someone here takes an interest. I've reposted the link to the pics to make it easier.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4HmWD2dn12aFS1h26

PostPosted: Tue 29 Aug 2023 08:59 AM 
Virtuoso

PM sent.

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday