The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 12:53 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun 11 Oct 2020 08:38 PM 
Gallery Friend

Hello, I'm trying to identify the age (or any other details) of this Aria Pro II RS Straycat that I recently picked up. I've been digging through the catalogs on the site and found a little bit about the guitar but some of the information doesn't quite line up so any advice that this community could provide would be appreciated.

A picture for reference: https://imgur.com/rVXhYJ0

Here's what I've got so far:
  • The headstock identifies it as an Aria Pro II RS Straycat. Easy enough so far.
  • The neck plate doesn't list a serial number, it simply says "Made in Japan"
  • I found what I believe to be the serial number in two places on the guitar. The first was underneath a pickup "42 26.720" and the second was on the neck inside the joint which I was only able to read partially "42-026" with the rest of the numbers obscured by a shim that I didn't want to remove.
  • It has what appears to be the "Vintage Tremolo" bridge as listed on the 1985 catalog, but the color appears to match the "Candy Apple Red" that is on the Straycat EX in the 1986 catalog.

I read on the website that the first digit was the last digit of the year, so 4 would presumably be 84. Do the other numbers have a particular significance? Would 4226720 be 84, Feb 26 and then a manufacture number or is the first 4 the only one of any meaning? I was unable to find the Straycat in the 1984 catalogs listed on the site unfortunately.

With the information I have available I'm leaning towards a 1984 year of manufacture but since I don't know what colors were available during that year I can't really confirm. Any tips?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct 2020 05:22 PM 
Virtuoso

Welcome!
I don't believe those are serial numbers. I'm not sure what they are but they do not match up with serial numbers on any of mine.
Do you know if the neck plate is original? I think its an '86. If it did make it out of the factory without a serial, I would be even more inclined to believe '86 over '84.

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct 2020 07:27 PM 
Gallery Friend

Thanks for the reply!

I bought the guitar from a used music store and unfortunately know nothing about it's history. I nearly completely disassembled the guitar to clean it (it was pretty dirty) and didn't see any signs that it had been modified. The neck plate looks original unless it was replaced with a perfect match.

I've uploaded a few additional images to the original link in case it helps: Imgur Gallery

Ultimately it doesn't make a huge deal of difference except for a bit of trivia to know about my guitar. I'm from '85 so owning a guitar that is around my age brings a smile to my face.

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct 2020 10:04 PM 
Virtuoso

Hi and welcome.

Over at the Westone site our best guess about those ink numbers is that they are for internal inventory and parts identification, also likely for colour and finish instruction too. Nothing to do with the date really.

Nice looking guitar. I think Jorg is right, has the "feel" of an '86.

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct 2020 08:29 PM 
Gallery Friend

Great! Thank you both for your insight.