The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 28 Mar 2024 03:12 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue 13 Apr 2021 09:36 AM 
Axe Slinger

Hi again,

A while back I became the owner of a beautiful 1981 Aria Pro II LC 800 or 900 we think. The pickups appear to be DiMarzio Super Distortions. They are black with absolutely no markings or numbers. I tested the pickups resistance with my meter and the neck came in at a very hot 15.4 and the bridge was 15.7

the bridge is perfect for my ears, however the neck gets a little muddy and too much bass, even when I attempt to change my amp settings with more treble etc. I'm not sure what to do. I want it stock, but maybe I need to get a new neck pickup....I could prob put the existing DiMarzio neck into a bridge of another guitar, it's so hot! :x

Is there anything I can attempt to cool this pickup down? Treble bleed? nickel cover install? just curious what you guys think. Thanks again

Forgot to mention, I put a new wiring harness into it....they are brand new CTS 500k pots with 1 DiMarzio 500K Pot for the bridge volume, followed by 2 orange drop capacitor with .047 rating.

https://flic.kr/p/2kSFEiM

PostPosted: Tue 13 Apr 2021 10:18 AM 
Virtuoso

I've had "overpowering" neck pickups myself. I liked the tone but a bit too much low end to suit me. I lowered the pickup away from the strings into the body further. On a couple of guitars I had to replace the short adjustment screws with longer ones to back the bridge pickup down far enough from the strings. At close examination it looks a little odd but it worked without having to modify my guitar.

PostPosted: Tue 13 Apr 2021 11:38 AM 
Axe Slinger

:up:

good idea, I have it pretty low right now but I will swap out the screws for some longer ones and see if I can get a tad bit lower....thanks for that

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jun 2021 11:54 AM 
Power Chorder

As CRUSTY mentioned, backing the pickups off the strings can help lower the output. However this also creates a more muffled tone. Also, you mentioned you installed .47 capacitors which bleed off more high frequencies also giving the output a darker tone.

PU's are usually darker in the neck anyway, so if it's not the capacitors or the output it could be your tone pot. Did you check the value of the pot and see what it's max rating was or make sure it's functioning properly? It could be limiting your signal for the neck PU.

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jun 2021 06:28 AM 
Virtuoso

My usual way of dealing with a Super Distortion in the neck position is to wire it in parallel instead of series.

It generates a nice balance between neck and bridge pickups (at least on a PE-R80D) and as a bonus the neck pickup will not sound muddy at all.