The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sun 28 Apr 2024 03:15 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed 04 Oct 2023 10:40 PM 
Power Chorder

Hi, the site has been very useful to me in the past in helping me to identify my Aria Pro II guitar. But I just tried looking for info on the CSB-400 bass and could find virtually nothing. How come? I'm assuming they aren't rare models, so the only alternative answer I can think of is that they suck, so nobody bothers posting about them.

Or by "guitar" does it really mean only guitar discussion here, and not basses?

I ask because there's a MiJ CSB 400 available in clearly used but very playable condition for about USD $70. Even if it's not the greatest thing Matsumoku ever made, I'd be stupid not to, right?

Any info on the CSB 400 (problems? things to look out for?) would be appreciated. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct 2023 09:07 AM 
Virtuoso

Welcome!
I'm pretty sure we have lots of info on models that members have and less info on models they don't.
Most of the members here are probably guitar players first and may not own a bass at all. I'm down to one bass myself but around 20 guitars.
I would certainly grab it at that price. I'm willing to bet its very nice.
If you do, please post pics so we can update the site.

:rockwoot:

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct 2023 09:39 AM 
Power Chorder

Thanks Jorg. I'm also primarily a guitar player, but I still feel like your G to B ratio is way off ;)

I nearly went back to pick this thing up today. In fact I walked right past the store, but resisted going in as I felt like I should wait to hear from ppl on here first, just in case the model is a well-known Matsumoku anomaly (i.e. piece of junk). But following your encouragement, I will likely go get it tomorrow. Assuming it's still there.

Will post pics if I do.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct 2023 12:14 PM 
Virtuoso

I cant wait to see it!

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct 2023 12:45 PM 
Virtuoso

I don't own a CSB but I do own Cardinal Sound (CS-400) and it does not suck.
If the CSB looked in good condition then for $70 I'd buy it.

:-D

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct 2023 07:38 AM 
Virtuoso

TwoLeftHands wrote:
Hi, the site has been very useful to me in the past in helping me to identify my Aria Pro II guitar. But I just tried looking for info on the CSB-400 bass and could find virtually nothing. How come? I'm assuming they aren't rare models, so the only alternative answer I can think of is that they suck, so nobody bothers posting about them.

Or by "guitar" does it really mean only guitar discussion here, and not basses?

I ask because there's a MiJ CSB 400 available in clearly used but very playable condition for about USD $70. Even if it's not the greatest thing Matsumoku ever made, I'd be stupid not to, right?

Any info on the CSB 400 (problems? things to look out for?) would be appreciated. Thanks!

Although quite a few are covered there are some holes here and there. Catalogs from the 80s are to say the least very scarce these days and sites like Vintaxe scoop them up for profit when they do come up. There is going to be the odd model we haven't seen yet from time to time.

Nope, it is not just guitars. It is all instruments made by Matsumoku. We have quite a few bass owners and players here.

At $70 if the neck is good and it plays at all it is a steal. Even if it is rough. Now if I could just find a PE-60 for $70..... :D

The CSBs were solidly built and workhorses. The only issues would be previous owner issues, you know, the type that has two brain cells that are too far apart to rub together or the self professed "guitar tech" that is a danger to society when a soldering iron is in their hands. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct 2023 08:24 AM 
Power Chorder

Hi, thanks everyone for your replies. I went and got it earlier. Was probably nearer to $74 after tax in the end.

There's some aesthetic wear. E.g. several fairly large chips to the paint job. And there appears to be a slight difference in color where the price sticker was located (i.e. there's a rectangle of the paint that is now a slightly darker shade than the rest); making me think it had been in the store for a very long time. But a cursory (and admittedly very amateurish) inspection suggests that everything else is probably OK. By which I mean there were no noticeable problems in terms of the neck or electronics when I played it briefly in the store. But I have close to zero knowledge other than as a player, so who knows what issues might turn up later.

The one thing I'm a little confused about is the serial number. It starts with a 7. Now, I only have a vague recollection of Aria history. But if I remember right, the Matsumoku factory shut down in '85. Is that correct? So does this mean this is not a Matsukoku-made guitar? It was certainly made in Japan – as it says so on the neck plate – but was it made in another factory before the move to Korea? Or does that 7 refer to '77? But I seem to recall that Aria Pro II only came into being at the close of the '70s.

Anyway, I'll take some photos tomorrow in daylight and upload, but in the meantime I can tell you that it's heavy, it's a kind of cream color, has a single pickup, two control dials, and otherwise follows the basic design of the CS-350 guitar (i.e. body and headstock shape, bolt-on neck). I don't have an amp here right now, but I like how it feels in my hands.

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct 2023 09:26 PM 
Power Chorder

Here you go...

Attachments:
IMG_6721.jpg
IMG_6721.jpg [ 33.07 KiB | Viewed 261 times ]
IMG_6722.jpg
IMG_6722.jpg [ 28.34 KiB | Viewed 261 times ]
IMG_6723.jpg
IMG_6723.jpg [ 41.39 KiB | Viewed 261 times ]
PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct 2023 09:27 PM 
Power Chorder