The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 05:36 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue 29 Jun 2021 02:49 PM 
Prospective Member

Good Afternoon. I'm the proud owner of this bass, but I can't find any documentation on it. It's an SB-400 (NOT a TSB). It's got a medium scale (like the CSB series), 1 pickup with a coil tap switch. 22 frets, 3-ply maple detachable neck with rosewood fingerboard and dot markers. Not sure of the body composition, but It's got a lovely sunburst finish. The headstock is the classic "open book" style, and the tuners are the slender Aria standard ones. The serial number is on the neck plate, and it's 2090907. Neck dimensions are interesting, not like the CSB at all. Nut is 40mm, 12th fret is 54mm, string spacing at the bridge is 17mm...so much more of a Fender Jazz style. Quite different from both my SB-60 and CSB-300 basses. It's a great bass, and I'd love to know more about it, as well as find another one. Thank you!

Attachment:
IMG_1675.jpeg
IMG_1675.jpeg [ 52.24 KiB | Viewed 927 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2723.jpg
IMG_2723.jpg [ 47.45 KiB | Viewed 927 times ]

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jul 2021 08:40 AM 
Virtuoso

Sweet axe! :love:

It looks like it is using the MB-III dual coil pickups found on the TSB. The first digit of the serial would be the year of manufacture. The toggle is likely series/parallel like on the TSB also. Sadly we don't have any info on it in the archives.

I have a CSB B&G which also has the short scale. Almost like playing a guitar.

Looking for another is going to be difficult. You are going to run into a lot of "super rare", "vintage" or even "prototype" with outrageous price tags to match. Despite this I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :up: