The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 12:31 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
PostPosted: Thu 17 Mar 2022 04:18 PM 
Virtuoso

Crusty wrote:
The idea with the SPT was to eliminate the intonation issues associated with the ABR-1 style bridge found on most Gibsons

I have a TA-60 that probably has the same RS bridge. Do you think the RS is as good as or better than any of the aftermarket bridges available? I have no reason to replace the bridge, I just see that others are available and want to buy more stuff. :)

-Steve W.

PostPosted: Thu 17 Mar 2022 04:24 PM 
Virtuoso

It's hard to top the Super Tuneable bridge.

StewMac does have roller bridges that will drop in place of an ABR-1.

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar 2022 04:23 PM 
Virtuoso

Experimenting with the bridge makes sense, if you run out of travel (Crusty described it, at one point turning the saddles 180 deg still doesn't give enough room) or you need to alter the sound.

In the later case I would start with replacing the saddles on the bridge and not the bridge itself. Any saddle material is good for a purpose, I like to use tusq saddles to tame harsh high frequencies (try Joe Barden pickups and you know what I'm talking about) and harder stainless steel saddles to get the opposite result.

In general I like when the bridge is directly screwed in the top (without bushings). It makes the top vibrate more. I think this is what most people refer to when the compliment on the sound of old ABR1 bridges. It's not the bridge itself, it's that it's mounted to the guitar without bushings. I never tried to remount an SPT bridge without bushings, actually it might be fun trying.

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar 2022 04:44 PM 
Virtuoso

I know what bridges you are talking about, on the older Gibsons for example. Essentially a piece of threadstock threaded into the cap with a knurled height adjustment ring. I REALLY hated working on them. Over time the wood wallows out. I have had to "re-set" more than I cared to. :cry:

I've dealt with cheapie guitars that used sub-par hardware and would never install something like that on my guitars. I do like the quality of the Schaller bridges but there again you pay for it. I can't count how may cheap guitars I worked on that the posts wiggled in the anchors. :yipes:

Graphtech saddles were all the rage in the late 90s and early 2000s with the Gibson crowd. I installed quite a few sets of them and have to admit they are an improvement over the stock staddles. Back then there were no roller bridge replacements for the ABR-1 that were direct drop-ins so the Graphtech saddles were big with the Bigsby enthusiasts.

Never tried SS saddles. Something new to try. :hyper:

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar 2022 05:04 PM 
Virtuoso

Crusty wrote:
. . .on the older Gibsons for example. Essentially a piece of threadstock threaded into the cap with a knurled height adjustment ring. I REALLY hated working on them. Over time the wood wallows out. I have had to "re-set" more than I cared to. :cry:

My 1964 ES330 is holding up beautifully. I've replaced the nylon saddles but the bridge has never given me bit of trouble (he said, arthritic fingers tightly crossed).

Quote:
Never tried SS saddles. Something new to try. :hyper:

Not for every guitar but I have put them on a Westone Thunder IA that was missing a brass saddle when I got it. That's a powerful guitar and it was a perfect choice to come close to the original tone without breaking the bank for brass replacements.

I also upgraded a Squier Tele Custom II and they sound great. Adds a "sparkle" that was missing.

Finally a Vintage VRS100 (PRS clone) I picked up came original with SS saddles and they sound super too!

They definitely will add sustain plus a bit more clarity and edge. Give 'em a try Neal!

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar 2022 10:43 AM 
Virtuoso

Wow :love:

Nice find !

Love these treasure discoveries.

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar 2022 10:53 AM 
Power Chorder

Frenchy wrote:
Wow :love:

Nice find !

Love these treasure discoveries.

Yeah man! I'm so happy with it! Found it at a guitar auction in England. I have no idea about its history.

It's in great condition! I feel very lucky!!