The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sun 28 Apr 2024 05:23 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon 10 Jul 2023 08:02 AM 
Prospective Member

I've owned this guitar for years, and only found one other photo in the wild. Does anyone know what this is? Apologies for the awful photoshop hack job, given the 80kb limit. Cheers!

Attachments:
body.jpg
body.jpg [ 76.5 KiB | Viewed 323 times ]
PostPosted: Mon 10 Jul 2023 11:12 AM 
Virtuoso

Welcome!

Sorry for the 80kb limit. To upgrade disk space for the site would triple the costs and break out of the price lock I currently have. I've had the same hosting company for 10 years and they have never raised the price so long as I renew in time. I would then be paying triple the current rates to upgrade.

Diamonds from this period are tough to nail down. Few catalogs exist. Going on the serial it looks to be a 1980. Sound right? Diamonds from this era were marketed as budget versions of their standard AP2 counterparts but they were hardly budget instruments. Just as well made as the standard fare.

It looks to be a little brother to the AP2 XR series super strats. Two-point fulcrum and locking nut are a major plus.

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jul 2023 04:31 PM 
Prospective Member

Crusty wrote:
Welcome!

Sorry for the 80kb limit. To upgrade disk space for the site would triple the costs and break out of the price lock I currently have. I've had the same hosting company for 10 years and they have never raised the price so long as I renew in time. I would then be paying triple the current rates to upgrade.

Diamonds from this period are tough to nail down. Few catalogs exist. Going on the serial it looks to be a 1980. Sound right? Diamonds from this era were marketed as budget versions of their standard AP2 counterparts but they were hardly budget instruments. Just as well made as the standard fare.

It looks to be a little brother to the AP2 XR series super strats. Two-point fulcrum and locking nut are a major plus.

Absolutely no worries about the file cap. I have no clue concerning the origins, but my father bought it in the late 90's used. I've grown up and learned to play on it, and it's in rough shape, missing the whammy bar and various bridge and nut bits, the 12th fret intonation is way off on the G string, and the selector switch sounds like it's full of sand.

But when in good nick, it sounds and plays best of all my guitars, to my ears.
Thanks a lot for the insight, I was thinking pre-the mid 80's pro II's of this style which seem like a stylistic evolution of mine. So the date fits!

PostPosted: Thu 24 Aug 2023 08:32 AM 
Virtuoso

Shark fin inlays, the string retainer and the headstock shape... this is not 1980... more likely 1985 or later.