The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sun 28 Apr 2024 05:20 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct 2023 08:42 PM 
Power Chorder

Crusty wrote:
Matsumoku made Aria Pro II until they closed in 1987. Some say February of 87, others later in 87.

Crusty wrote:
Is it possible this CSB-400 was cobbled together in Korea? Yes. Possible but unlikely. It is more likely it was one of the last off the line. I've not seen any indication any other company made Aria Pro II guitars during the Matsumoku era.

The thing is, we don't know for sure that this guitar was made in "the Matsumoku era." We know it was made in 1987; an uncertain portion of which fell into the Matsumoku era. So yes, it might be a Matsumoku. But it might not. If we knew the month of manufacture, or if we could be certain that Matsumoku closed late in '87, rather than early in the year, this would vastly increase the likelihood of it being a Matsumoku-produced model. But we just don't know.

I, too, saw a late-80s APII guitar online yesterday with a similar neck plate; no "Made in Japan". But as I said, I also found the definitely-post-Matsumoku Beat Master (1988) and it said Made in Japan.

What does this tell us? Nothing for certain. But it does perhaps indicate that APII were honest about where they produced their guitars. I mean, why label some post-Matsu guitars MIJ but not others?

But even if this assumption is correct, it doesn't prove that a 1987 APII guitar was definitely made by Matsumoku. It might have been another Japanese manufacturer.

Before I forget, have I understood correctly that it remains a mystery as to which manufacturer(s) made post Matsumoko models in Japan? Were all post-Matsu MIJ models (the Beat master for instance) high-end? Were all post-Matsu MIK models lower end?

I guess we're unlikely to ever know for certain who made my guitar. But I've found this thread very interesting, so thanks for all your input.

EDIT: One important element I'd kind of forgotten about until now is – as the thread title indicates – that there is very little information out there to be found about this bass; no CSB 400s available for sale, no known catalog insertion, very few mentions online (and even some of those are actually Black n Gold owners speculating – incorrectly, if the PUs are anything to go on – that their basses are CSB 400s). This might indicate a very short production run. Perhaps one that was interrupted by a factory closure?

Again, though, we'll probably never know.

PostPosted: Tue 10 Oct 2023 07:08 AM 
Virtuoso

TwoLeftHands wrote:
Before I forget, have I understood correctly that it remains a mystery as to which manufacturer(s) made post Matsumoko models in Japan? Were all post-Matsu MIJ models (the Beat master for instance) high-end? Were all post-Matsu MIK models lower end?

According to Mr. Arai all Aria electric guitars were made by Matsumoku, until they closed in 1987.
I have my doubt on this statement for the years from 1985 onward, but I read him saying this in an interview and I heard him saying this to me at a Frankfurt Music Show a number of years ago.

Anyway, most Aria electric guitars are entry to mid level... and the production of those moved to Korea (and China). But even after Matsumoku closed there have always been Aria guitars made in Japan. The most likely OEM maker is Terada (my guess), but they also do some of the high end guitars (mainly acoustics) in house.

PostPosted: Tue 10 Oct 2023 07:50 AM 
Power Chorder

Thanks Wutz. Thinking I should maybe go check out that MIJ CS 43 now.

It's not a Matsu, but from what you're saying it sounds like it should still be good quality (because by 1988 all the low budget models were being built in Korea). It's also dirt cheap. I.e. like just $30 more than I paid for the bass.

Can find virtually no info about the Beat Masters online though. But I guess that's the subject for another thread. On another forum... ;)

PostPosted: Tue 10 Oct 2023 07:53 AM 
Virtuoso

MIJ CS 43?

PostPosted: Tue 10 Oct 2023 08:02 AM 
Power Chorder

Crusty wrote:
MIJ CS 43?

Post-Matsu. Looks something like this: https://reverb.com/item/45873568-aria-p ... e-in-japan

But the one I found the other day was white, serial# starts with 8, and neckplate states MiJ. Looks to be in good condition. About $100.

EDIT: just had a closer look at the one I linked to. Listed as '89, but if I've understood the serial number system correctly, it's actually an '88 – same as the one I saw. And also MiJ. So basically this is identical to the one I found, only red rather than white.

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct 2023 09:50 AM 
Power Chorder

Crusty wrote:
Although it is plausible I'm not completely convinced the model number reflected the price. That would mean the CS-350 was worth much more than a PE-R60.

TwoLeftHands wrote:
The more I think about this, the less convincing it seems. Perhaps some models coincidentally sold for the same price as their monikers?

Seems to be more than just coincidence. I'm likely telling you something you already know, but the 1991 catalog includes prices in Yen. And while I've only looked at a few pages, every single price I've seen coincides with the model number.

https://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-a ... index.html

Perhaps a PE-R60 really did cost very little new? Or perhaps this is something that was introduced in the '90s? It's certainly worth noting that none of the PE models on offer in 1991 included such low digits in their names.

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct 2023 11:14 AM 
Virtuoso

The PE series was towards the upper end. The Supra, DLX (Deluxe), GC (Gerry Cott) and NS (Neal Schon) being top of the line along with the PE-1000 and PE-1500 Masterpiece. The PE series were never cheap during the Matsumoku years. There were some PEs with higher model numbers such as the PE-450, PE-500, PE-600 and so on. Models that break the price rule include the PE-60, PE-R60, PE-R80, RSX-70, RSX-80 and TA series for example. Most were pretty much pro grade instruments and not all that inexpensive. Not entry level by a long shot. The two CS-350s I have I gave about $300 for each new in the early 80s. My first PE-R80 had a $700 price tag on it when I got it IIRC, but I didn't pay near that.

I'm not that familiar with post Matsumoku Aria Pro IIs. I do own a few though. A PE-350 STD, PE-390, PE-Anniversary and an unidentified Aria PE.

PostPosted: Tue 24 Oct 2023 05:51 AM 
Virtuoso

TwoLeftHands wrote:
Crusty wrote:
Although it is plausible I'm not completely convinced the model number reflected the price. That would mean the CS-350 was worth much more than a PE-R60.

TwoLeftHands wrote:
The more I think about this, the less convincing it seems. Perhaps some models coincidentally sold for the same price as their monikers?

Seems to be more than just coincidence. I'm likely telling you something you already know, but the 1991 catalog includes prices in Yen. And while I've only looked at a few pages, every single price I've seen coincides with the model number.

https://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-a ... index.html

Perhaps a PE-R60 really did cost very little new? Or perhaps this is something that was introduced in the '90s? It's certainly worth noting that none of the PE models on offer in 1991 included such low digits in their names.

Actually for the later PE (and RS) series: 60 = 60000 Yen, 80 = 80000 Yen, ... 200 = 200000 Yen for the list price.
For early PE, CS, FS, SH, RS,... series: 250 = 25000 Yen, 350 = 35000 Yen, ... 1500 = 150000 Yen for the list price.
Typical shop price in Japan was about 20 % off.