The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sun 28 Apr 2024 01:26 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun 14 Jan 2024 12:47 AM 
Prospective Member

I'm looking for a fast playing do anything guitar and the Inazuma V caught my eye, in particular because the neck pickup appears to be in the right place compared to the Japanese varieties of the cat models (I'd otherwise lean towards an HSS).

How related are the Inazuma and the cats?

Are there other do anything Uncle Mat guitars I should consider? I also like the CS 400, and Weston's Thunder 2.

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jan 2024 05:49 PM 
Virtuoso

Welcome!
All the guitars you listed are RS 2nd run guitars that started about 82 or 83 if I remember correctly. "The Cat" guitars are the last model considered Matsumoku and are all 87 models. In my opinion, "The Cat" models are either not Matsumoku or not fully Matsumoku but that's another discussion.
RS 1st run guitars started about 79 or 80 and went to the time the 2nd run started.
If you like that body style, there are a great number of models with different specs and you're bound to find one that works for you. I have a 1st run as well as a 2nd run and they're both very nice but very different. The 2nd run RS guitars are a more modern feel to me. Mine has a 12" fretboard radius and a flatter, shredder style neck profile. Oddly, I've never measured my 1st run fretboard but it's at least 12" radius, maybe more. The neck is a bit thicker than the 2nd run but not what I'd call chunky.
The CS line is one of my favorites. The 400 is the top end with a set neck and carved top. It will generally be the most expensive CS.
Both the CS and RS guitars are work horses and seem to be overlooked which kinda keeps them more on the affordable end.
I'm not familiar with the Westone Thunder 2 but I assure you someone will chime in pretty soon.
I hope that helps a little. Ask any questions you got. :D

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jan 2024 07:04 PM 
Virtuoso

I could have sworn the Inazuma-V had only one pickup, the bridge. At least in 82 it did.

Pretty much all of the Rock Solid series had the same neck. I've had 4 and they were all the same. Not chunky but not paper thin either.

The CS series including the CS-250 and CS-350 had fairly thin fast necks on them. I have four but have owned many more. There is am 82 CS-250 on Reverb right now for $300 with free shipping. Not all that unreasonable. The 250 has covered gear tuners and the 350 sealed die cast. The CS-400 doesn't feel anything like the 250 or 350 as it has a chunkier neck.

https://reverb.com/item/77909794-aria-c ... padouk-red

The CS-250 and 350 models had coil cut and phase switching however the coil split is either both humbucker or both single coil. All mine I converted separate coil cut switches for each pick since I rarely used the phase switch.

There is a Wildcat on Goodwill right now that looks to be in decent shape and will likely go for under $300.

https://shopgoodwill.com/item/188533439

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan 2024 05:59 AM 
Virtuoso

The late model Westone guitars like the Corsair or the Genesis had exceptionally fast necks, and the Aria Pro II PE Supra also has such a neck.

Vantage VA900 has a neck that both goes on forever and is a fine compromise between a shredders neck and a chunky rhythym neck!

Westone Thunder 2 is pretty much the equivalent of the VA900… just a superbly finished instrument. that play exceptionally well!

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan 2024 08:07 AM 
Prospective Member

Wow, thanks everyone for the exceptionally detailed feedback! I'm impressed to see such a strong community and supportive knowledge around these guitars. And I'd never even considered checking Goodwill before, thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I don't like the neck pickup placement on that revision. Would you consider the Inazuma V to be a series 2? And do you have to remove the neck pickup to adjust the truss rod?

I've read that the CS can be prone to neck dive, is that true? The TS-400 seems similar but has a longer upper horn which I assume helps. Where does the non-trem PE series slot into all of this?

I'm definitely more interested in the cheap end of things, as the more prestigious models start encroaching on the used prices of something like a player condition PRS EG or something

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jan 2024 09:01 PM 
Virtuoso

I'll answer in order: :D
I'm with you on the pickup placement.
Yes, the Inazuma is 2nd run. I don't believe you have to remove the pickup though. There should be enough room between the neck and front pickup to adjust it or, mine has a bullet style truss rod that adjusts at the head.
RS 1st run: http://www.matsumoku.org/cm_models/2021 ... first-run/
RS 2nd run: http://www.matsumoku.org/cm_models/2021 ... econd-run/
I don't currently have a playable CS but I don't remember it being neck heavy. I also built a guitar that is basically a CS with more cutaway in the lower horn for better fret access and it doesn't neck dive. It's close but it's also only 2 1/2" thick so it's pretty light.
I've never owned a TS but I believe you're correct. The body is a touch more "strat-ish" which probably helps in that area.
Now, by non-trem PE series, I'm guessing you're talking about PE-60, PE-R60, PE-R80 and such?
They're very nice "Les Paul-ish" style guitars that I believe are as good or better than LP. Just my opinion but, I've tried many a time to own a Les Paul but never found one that felt good. My PE-R60 is fantastic and it's not even the top end for the model.
Sadly, I sold my PE-R80 back in '94. . . :doh:

EDIT - Personally, I do not like the neck joint on a PRS.

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jan 2024 10:10 PM 
Virtuoso

Pretty much spot on. The PE series were and still are Les Paul killers. I've had several LPs and I have exactly zero now and for good reason.

I was very picky about the PRS SE I got. The Custom although prettier had a much more obtrusive heel than the Standard I got.

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan 2024 04:55 PM 
Virtuoso

Corsair wrote:
The late model Westone guitars like the Corsair or the Genesis had exceptionally fast necks, and the Aria Pro II PE Supra also has such a neck.

That's the Supra you got from Crusty?

I never thought that one had a fast neck... the shred approved necks would be on the RS and U series.