The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sun 12 May 2024 06:01 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri 26 Apr 2024 06:27 PM 
Gallery Friend

Hi!
Just bought my 2nd MIJ LP and this time it's an Aria Pro II Goldtop. (Well I'm pretty sure it's MIJ.

The listing said it was a 2000s however it's sporting an open-book headstock. I can't seem to find any Aria recently with one so I'm thinking it could be an LS-500? Not too well-versed in Aria Pro II so any help is appreciated. There is no serial number either.

Pics linked here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... drive_link

PostPosted: Sun 28 Apr 2024 02:24 PM 
Virtuoso

Models sporting the open book headstock were available in Japan and other markets Gibson/Norlin had no trademark for a LONG time after the Hosino lawsuit. Export models intended for Gibson trademark regions had a different headstock shape.

PostPosted: Sun 28 Apr 2024 02:38 PM 
Gallery Friend

Crusty wrote:
Models sporting the open book headstock were available in Japan and other markets Gibson/Norlin had no trademark for a LONG time after the Hosino lawsuit. Export models intended for Gibson trademark regions had a different headstock shape.

Okay. I can't seem to find any Korean/Chinese Pro II's with the open book either. From what I understand Samick started making Aria's once Matsumoku closed. Once I get the guitar this week I'll see what it looks like inside too, hopefully that can give some definite answers. The seller didn't seem to know that much, but is saying it's MIJ. For the price I got it I wouldn't be mad if it wasn't tbh.

Because of the inlays & knobs specifically I'm thinking it could be a LS-450/LS-500. Do you think I could be right on that?

PostPosted: Sun 28 Apr 2024 02:44 PM 
Virtuoso

Aria has continued to manufacture guitars in Japan from the time Matsumoku closed until present day as well. Guitars made in Japan to be sold in Japan don't have to comply with the Gibson/Norlin open book headstock trademark.

PostPosted: Sun 28 Apr 2024 03:06 PM 
Gallery Friend

Interesting. I'm hoping the pickups have a serial number or something that can pinpoint it down for me. Thank you for the insight, I'm sure I might need to pick your brain in the near future haha

PostPosted: Sun 28 Apr 2024 03:21 PM 
Virtuoso

LPs with the open book headstock made in Japan have been available in Japan for a long time. Hopefully the pickups have some kind of nomenclature on the back that will offer some insight.