The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Mon 20 May 2024 05:35 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Aria strat
PostPosted: Mon 16 Jun 2003 10:11 PM 
Hi. I have been in touch with a shop here and they have a natural finish strat that they told me was made in 1970 AND it is a Maysumoku.... according to the info here Mats joined later in the decade. Serial number of the guitar is B780564.... any ideas as to a date from that number?
thanks
pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 17 Jun 2003 12:28 AM 
Virtuoso

Feb, '78. :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 17 Jun 2003 09:56 AM 
If it's an Aria Pro II, 1970 is way off (as Mfukuyama has indicated). I would guess it is an ST Stagecaster (not to be confused with Stagemaster). If it is an LEG Legend then it could only be a 1987.

Most everything I have here indicates the Stagecaster had black logo and larger "curvier" headstock and the Legend had a smaller more angular headstock with spaghetti logo.

Either way it was built by Matsumoku. I have heard from several sources that Matsumoku was building for Shiro Arai Co. even before the Aria Pro II line was launched. I have contacted several individuals that were part of Matsumoku through a translator and hopefull I will be able to tell a little more of the story if they are willing. I will probably have to update a few pages though. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 17 Jun 2003 07:10 PM 
Hi. Large headstock and I have seen other Stagecasters that look like it. Natural finish and was told it`s ash. BUT when I got homw from work I saw a sold next to the guitar.... he may have sold it even though I asked him to hold it for me while I gathered more info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun 2003 01:16 AM 
That would be a bummer. Let's hope that Sold sign is for YOU. :up:

I have had that happen to me. More than once. The worst was the store owner told someone else what I was going to pay for a guitar while I was running to the bank to get the cash and the guy asking offered more. The store owner sold it to him and when I got back told me someone dropped it and shattered the neck. What the jerk hadn't counted on was the guy that bought it was still in the parking lot showing it to his friends. He may have made a few extra bucks that day, but lost a lot more in the long run as it seemed everyone knew about it before long. I guess I've got a big mouth. :lol:

Hope yours turns out for the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun 2003 02:52 AM 
Virtuoso

Body of Stagecaster in that era is probably SEN, Japanese Ash.
Some earlier Stagecaster had Maple body instead, and it is very heavy for strat, but has good sustain.
High end Stagecaster had a set of Dimarzio SDS pickups, though priced reasonably.

Sneaky, have you played that Stagecaster?
I would go for it if I liked it when I play, then I will gather info of that guitar later on.

If you are looking for a Japanese large headstock strat, '76-'80 is the golden era, IMHO, unless you are looking for Fender Japan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun 2003 06:29 AM 
Hi all. I just picked up a Greco 1977 sen body strat that is.....light ! Most sen guitars I have played were heavy. It has a large headstock. I also have a Van Zandt large headstock strat that is top notch. I was only interested in the Aria for the Matsumoku factor. They seem to pop up occasionally here in Japan so if he sold it I probably can get another some time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun 2003 06:33 AM 
Masa sama, I have a few MIJ`s that would float your boat.
http://w1.422.telia.com/~u42235727/sneaky.htm
have a look here. BEWARE these are not for sale, part of mt personal collection... I have a site for the guitars that are for sale. Plus there are other guitars that are not yet added to the link here.
Like the 1982 and `83 Fender Japan strats I have. Ordered another `84 yesterday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun 2003 06:41 AM 
http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/bc/kotiaho/s ... ph&.view=t
heres the Greco.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun 2003 09:23 AM 
Virtuoso

Nice collection, Sneaky. :) :)

:love: OT here, but your Ornetts catches my heart. :love:
If you thinnk about letting her go in the future, let me know first.