The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 12:53 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Urchin U60T
PostPosted: Thu 23 Sep 2010 02:18 AM 
Virtuoso

Hey Sincollo:

I haven't forgotten about you.

Health problems & life complications have prevented me from getting to my U 70. I just got the case out before I logged on tonight. I need to clear out some work space so I have room to move (my basement has become a dumping ground/storage facility for several family members, & it's packed tight). Once I have a work space, I'll measure out every spec I can think of--give me a couple more weeks to get things measured & the measurements organized, & I'll post the dimensions under urchinu70's "Urchinu70 Spec Sheet" sticky thread.

I'm sorry I haven't gotten this done yet.

Post subject: TA DAAAAA!
PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep 2010 06:36 PM 
Virtuoso

I know, I know, "It's about bloody time!", I hear you yelling.
For those who have suffered along with me on this long l-o-o-o-n-g and difficult resto, finally, the reward (thumbnails only, so I can show it in all it's um, glory):
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

It ain't perfect by any means. :roll:
But in the end, I got so fed up looking at the thing and all the problems I had with it that I just wanted it finished! I could have (should have) spent a lot more time on the finish. There are parts of it that are quite good; other parts, not so much. In total there are 2 coats of gray undercoat and about 3 cans of paint, followed by clear gloss acrylic. In the end I got sloppy and rushed things with the clear coat; got too close and caused some runs and a bit of splattering. That meant some scraping and sanding to try and even it out. In the process I managed to put some nicks in the clear coat which I haven't yet sorted out. There are also some dimpled areas which could use some attention...never ends (sigh).

On the plus side, the electronics went back together OK, lots of soldering joints there! And it sounds good, more of a Shredder than Rock and Roll, but pretty darn good nonetheless. The neck is terrific, perhaps a tad wider than I'm used to on Vantage/Westone, but on the whole, solid and easy playing.

The headstock repair was a bugger. In the end I just couldn't do much more to remove the remnants of old holes and broken buried drill bits than I did. The butchered up truss rod access area was rebuilt with epoxy and painted black, then covered with a new TRC I fashioned a out of some (brittle) plastic cut from a Dollar Store basket using the dimensions that Frenchy sent me. Thanks Pierre!

Finally, I found a reasonably priced set of chrome mounting rings to go with the new chrome bridge and I think they look just swell! Thanks to Slo-Hand for the idea! And I decided to use some brass screws to fasten not only these but the two cover plates on the rear. Works well I think.

Finally, I installed some black strap locks, and splurged on a retro Fender strap which seems to complete the whole "retro" vibe I was hoping for. In the final analysis, it's light years better than when I bought it, and is in playable condition again which was the ultimate goal. Not quite what Uncle Mats originally had in mind...but I kinda like it. :D

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep 2010 11:55 PM 
Virtuoso

She looks good to me. I dig that color.
Can you send her to me???

PostPosted: Thu 30 Sep 2010 01:29 AM 
Virtuoso

Nothing wrong with that, Barry - I like it; good work!! :up: :up: Please don't send it to Jorg - he is unworthy as he hasn't finished his Cardinal after a million years, eh!! I'm a much more worthy recipient.... :D

PostPosted: Thu 30 Sep 2010 03:02 AM 
Virtuoso

I like it. :up: :up:

I wish the bridge hardware on my U 70 was chrome instead of brass/gold (I have a replacement bridge just sitting there, but since I never play it, what's the difference?)

I wonder if mine is the only one that didn't come with knurled speed knobs (or if the shop I got it from swapped them out at some point).

PostPosted: Thu 30 Sep 2010 05:25 AM 
Virtuoso

:goodjob: , well done, Barry!

And you're not alone! There's an Urchin owner group at facebook with 92 members worldwide! :lol:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7880696511

PostPosted: Thu 30 Sep 2010 08:40 AM 
Virtuoso

Good to see this one return from the brink of the grave. Good job.

PostPosted: Thu 30 Sep 2010 09:49 AM 
Virtuoso

Corsair wrote:
Please don't send it to Jorg - he is unworthy as he hasn't finished his Cardinal after a million years, eh!!
Thanks for the positive comments guys. John, you already have a pointy geetar so you don't need it, and Jorg will just put out an eye with it. So, "no" to you both. :D
mozart wrote:
And you're not alone! There's an Urchin owner group at facebook with 92 members worldwide!
Thanks for that link Johann. some very interesting resto's there!
slo-hand wrote:
I wish the bridge hardware on my U 70 was chrome instead of brass/gold (I have a replacement bridge just sitting there, but since I never play it, what's the difference?)
Mine had a black trem bridge when I bought it, but I'm not sure if it was painted brass or even the original. Heavy sustain block though, and MIJ. All the pix of this model I see have had a brass trem. I'm guessing the chrome would be a brighter sound (accenting the higher frequencies)? From what I'm hearing there's still a lot of bottom end although perhaps a bit on the muddy side. The top end can cut glass though.

Last edited by Barry on Fri 01 Oct 2010 09:57 AM, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu 30 Sep 2010 02:05 PM 
Virtuoso

:up: Nice work Barry ! I like the color, too !

Quote:
It ain't perfect by any means. :roll:
But in the end, I got so fed up looking at the thing and all the problems I had with it that I just wanted it finished!

I can certainly relate- at some point you get tired of looking at a big 'ol pile of parts and you just want it to turn back into a guitar ! :D

:goodjob:

PostPosted: Thu 30 Sep 2010 05:05 PM 
Virtuoso

Hey Barry.

I remember that black bridge. I think it was F-spaced--no way it was original.

Sorry I went off on my U 70.

I like the balance of black & chrome, & I like the color. Good resto-job. :up: :up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next