The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Wed 15 May 2024 10:57 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: NGS Aria SG - Amazing!!!
PostPosted: Tue 18 Jun 2013 11:40 AM 
Axe Slinger

Hey all. I picked up this Aria SG last week - it's in pristine condition. Nice natural discolouration on the binding on the neck...it's def MIJ and appears to be a Mats guitar...it's very light, especially compared with my various LP copies... all original - no idea what the pickups are (no markings on them)...plays like butter and was a great deal for $250!!! Some classic Angus and Iommi riffs for days!!!

Anyone know what year this was made??? 1980 based on the serial number???

Geoff

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jul 2013 11:55 AM 
Axe Slinger

Bumping this... Anyone have any info on my guitar??? It def has that late '70's Mats vibe to it...Thanks!!! Geoff

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul 2013 10:31 AM 
Virtuoso

I doubt 1980. Aria had gone with the Aria Pro II by then for all electric production with the possible exception of some domestic only models. Also by 1980, they were not making straight Gibson copies but rather there own designs.

As time goes by I have come to doubt the serial number dating scheme. I have at least one guitar where it does not work and others that are suspicious.

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul 2013 10:50 AM 
Axe Slinger

RSBBass wrote:
I doubt 1980. Aria had gone with the Aria Pro II by then for all electric production with the possible exception of some domestic only models. Also by 1980, they were not making straight Gibson copies but rather there own designs.

As time goes by I have come to doubt the serial number dating scheme. I have at least one guitar where it does not work and others that are suspicious.

Agreed and thanks - I would guess this was made sometime in the '70s...regardless, the guitar plays great and I'm happy!!! :)

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jul 2013 04:06 PM 
Prospective Member

That's a great Aria! I remember the counterpart to this model. (The catalog numbers listed it as 1932, earlier in the 70s, although I'm not sure if it carried the same model number in the late 70s) : it was the natural finish one with the 'half' pickguard. It was different than other Arias, in that it was built a little more like a Pro 2, such as this one, with the lighter body and more 'streamlined' look. It also had what I remember as really nice sealed tuners, maybe Gotoh? The guitar I remember was from 1978 and came with the customary Toygakki-style shaped, hardshell case, with metal ribbing along the edges.

It looked so much like yours, though, and was very light and had a superb action that played just like butter, as you said. I've found that the earlier 70s models were a little bigger, feel-wise - a little heavier and with a little less contours. Also, the late 70s models came with speed knobs.

My Aria L6-S copy is from the same era, I believe, as we also stocked that at one time. It, too, has the shaped, hardshell case, lighter body, speedknobs, although the tuners are just covered.

I'm still looking for 'the one that got away', one like this one, except the natural, half pickguard one.

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jul 2013 06:50 PM 
Axe Slinger

Thanks Buck. It's def a very nice SG copy - the neck is very thin and just plays so nice...the guy I bought it from has asked me 3 times if he can buy it back. I was very polite but said no!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jul 2013 11:07 AM 
Prospective Member

I don't blame ya! haha..if only there were enough Arias to go around, to replace the influx of cheap Chinese stuff.

Actually, upon looking at yours, it looks like a 1932, with the half pickguard, as well (as opposed to the "both sides" pickguard).
This sounds trivial, but when talking about an Aria like this, what is trivia? There's so much attention to detail in the construction.
But anyway, does your toggleswitch have a hexagonal nut or a more 'round' one with a knurled 'gripping' surface?

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jul 2013 12:05 PM 
Axe Slinger

buck1107 wrote:
I don't blame ya! haha..if only there were enough Arias to go around, to replace the influx of cheap Chinese stuff.

Actually, upon looking at yours, it looks like a 1932, with the half pickguard, as well (as opposed to the "both sides" pickguard).
This sounds trivial, but when talking about an Aria like this, what is trivia? There's so much attention to detail in the construction.
But anyway, does your toggleswitch have a hexagonal nut or a more 'round' one with a knurled 'gripping' surface?

Here's a close-up of the toggle switch...