The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 12:28 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb 2015 07:09 AM 
Prospective Member

I've had this guitar for a while, I know that its a Matsumoku made guitar, I know that it's a westbury standard, what I'm hoping is that someone can give me more information about it, and maybe how much it's worth?

Its an awesome guitar! But the only issue is that it's left handed and I play right. So I'm looking to sell it, someone offered to buy it off me. They said they wanted to take it apart and use it for parts. I refused, because even though I don't know too much about it, I know that its a thing of beauty. Plus its 30, maybe more years old, thats older than I am, so I'm not going to let it be destroyed now.

It plays really well, and it has alot of it original features, such as the stickers on the DiMazio pick-ups, a "Made in Japan" sticker on the head-stock and the westbury "W" logo on the machine heads. It it better condition that some of the other westbury's I've seen on the internet.

Heres some photo's, and help would be great...

http://imgur.com/gallery/tSaNpoX

I can provide more pictures if you want.

This is the old ebay link, which is no longer working. I stopped the auction because I think its worth more than I originally asked for, but it should show the pictures i took of it better. The forum says the files are too big to upload. Sorry, not trying to sell here, just looking for advice/info.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281591132357? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb 2015 08:36 AM 
Virtuoso

The standard answer to the value question is: "check the auction websites"

If you are lucky to find someone who has some sentimental attachment to that specific model you may get more... but in general auction sites give you a pretty good idea.

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb 2015 09:36 AM 
Power Chorder

Westburys are not all that common. That's not to say they are rare but just not seen as much as Arias etc. They were sold mainly in Canada I believe. I generally see them go for $250 to $300 but ebay is pretty tough right now and Im not sure about how the left handed part comes into play. 125 UK seems pretty fair to me. Good luck.

83 Aria Pro Cardinal CS-350/400
For starters...lol

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb 2015 06:37 PM 
Virtuoso

Unfortunately, Uncle Mats aren't commanding large sums. Especially the more "utilitarian" models. I mean no disrespect in that, a lot of Matsumoku guitars are very simple in appearance. Where they shine is in their construction and durability.
My favorite is the Cardinal Series. Arguably, the most utilitarian Mat made. I laugh when I see what people are trying to get for them but I wouldn't sell mine for that little. Makes them easy to get but you're "stuck" with it. Works for me. :rockwoot:

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar 2016 02:17 PM 
Gallery Friend

DirtyGene wrote:
I've had this guitar for a while, I know that its a Matsumoku made guitar, I know that it's a westbury standard, what I'm hoping is that someone can give me more information about it, and maybe how much it's worth?

Its an awesome guitar! But the only issue is that it's left handed and I play right. So I'm looking to sell it, someone offered to buy it off me. They said they wanted to take it apart and use it for parts. I refused, because even though I don't know too much about it, I know that its a thing of beauty. Plus its 30, maybe more years old, thats older than I am, so I'm not going to let it be destroyed now.

It plays really well, and it has alot of it original features, such as the stickers on the DiMazio pick-ups, a "Made in Japan" sticker on the head-stock and the westbury "W" logo on the machine heads. It it better condition that some of the other westbury's I've seen on the internet.

Heres some photo's, and help would be great...

http://imgur.com/gallery/tSaNpoX

I can provide more pictures if you want.

This is the old ebay link, which is no longer working. I stopped the auction because I think its worth more than I originally asked for, but it should show the pictures i took of it better. The forum says the files are too big to upload. Sorry, not trying to sell here, just looking for advice/info.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281591132357? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Thanks!

I can help you. I'm just surfing the net letting people who may be interested in the fact that Westbury Guitars is back in business. www.westburyguitars.com There is a "Vintage Model" section on there that you might be interested in...