The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 17 May 2024 08:00 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Aria EA200
PostPosted: Mon 21 Dec 2015 09:35 AM 
Virtuoso

telefreak wrote:
...there are 19 pics in total...

Thank you Henk. She's a beauty!

I was interested to see the sound post under your bridge.
I have a Gibson ES330 and I cannot remember for certain but I don't think there is anything under the bridge at all. I suspect that it may be because the ABR-1 bridge is very small and has small saddles and screws. The APII's is quite massive by comparison and requires a more solid anchoring. The bonus of course is that the block also adds to the sustain, so in that respect it's closer to a ES335.

One other notable difference is that the Gibson has a set neck (click to enlarge):
Image Image

PostPosted: Mon 21 Dec 2015 10:08 AM 
Virtuoso

IIRC even the early Aria hollows had a small block under the bridge.

Can you get a peek inside? Maybe with a dental or inspection mirror?

PostPosted: Mon 21 Dec 2015 11:09 AM 
Gallery Friend

Barry wrote:
telefreak wrote:
...there are 19 pics in total...

Thank you Henk. She's a beauty!

I was interested to see the sound post under your bridge.
I have a Gibson ES330 and I cannot remember for certain but I don't think there is anything under the bridge at all. I suspect that it may be because the ABR-1 bridge is very small and has small saddles and screws. The APII's is quite massive by comparison and requires a more solid anchoring. The bonus of course is that the block also adds to the sustain, so in that respect it's closer to a ES335.

One other notable difference is that the Gibson has a set neck (click to enlarge):
Image Image

As you could see there is a sound post.... better then none I think..
I don't know if you can see in the sound hole of your guitar if there is any solid piece of wood attached to the top.

What a beautiful ES 330 you got there btw.. :look:

How did you get these pics on this topic... I only get it from another browser...

PostPosted: Mon 21 Dec 2015 11:40 AM 
Virtuoso

Ah, I see it now. Didn't see the link to the album.

That's like the two Lyles, the Pan, Aria Barney Kessel, 1202T, and Conquerer I had. Pretty sure they did have a support block in them. The bodies were pretty thin and laminated and would flex a bit. Especially when the tremolo was used if it had one.

The Barney Kessel had really pointy horns. They could almost cut paper! :lol:

Would you mind contributing the pics so we at least have it partially covered in the Gallery? I would be forever grateful!

If so I can give you the email address to send them to. If possible the original camera pics. That way I can provide a link to larger pics on the page.

PostPosted: Mon 21 Dec 2015 11:52 AM 
Gallery Friend

Crusty wrote:
Ah, I see it now. Didn't see the link to the album.

That's like the two Lyles, the Pan, Aria Barney Kessel, 1202T, and Conquerer I had. Pretty sure they did have a support block in them. The bodies were pretty thin and laminated and would flex a bit. Especially when the tremolo was used if it had one.

The Barney Kessel had really pointy horns. They could almost cut paper! :lol:

Would you mind contributing the pics so we at least have it partially covered in the Gallery? I would be forever grateful!

If so I can give you the email address to send them to. If possible the original camera pics. That way I can provide a link to larger pics on the page.

They must have otherwise the top come's down!
Btw,I never liked the Barney Kessel.. sorry :)

No problem Crusty.. if you give me the email address I'll send the original pics..

PostPosted: Mon 21 Dec 2015 12:03 PM 
Virtuoso

I got the Barney Kessel for $10 at a garage sale. Hard to pass something like that up. It was in pristine condition with a case.

It actually played just like the others. One thing I always did on them was round and smooth the slots on the saddles so the strings wouldn't bind and put a bit of white grease pencil in the slots of the nut (the ones that didn't come with roller saddles that is). That touch of grease pencil works wonders for binding nuts.

Another was triple dipping the pickups. They were notorious for feedback with even the slightest gain at an appreciable volume. Once dipped I could even go full on Nugent and the body resonance was fantastic. Harmonics galore.

I'll send you a PM with the email address.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon 21 Dec 2015 03:56 PM 
Virtuoso

Crusty wrote:
IIRC even the early Aria hollows had a small block under the bridge.

Can you get a peek inside? Maybe with a dental or inspection mirror?

Just had a look---nope. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Bugger all. The strings lay lightly on the bridge and the tension is taken up nicely by the trapeze tail.

Back in the day when I was dumb enough to actually gig with this guitar :roll: it was always a challenge to keep it from feeding back when you didn't want it to. But when you did want that sound, oh mommy! Terrific range of tones out of this bad boy.