The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 12:12 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue 26 Jun 2018 11:25 AM 
Prospective Member

I have an Aria III, Model A-4C that I am seeking information about. It was a gift, new, from my parents when I was in college, about 1979..... from a music store in Columbia, MO, Mike's Music. My dad was a fiddle player and was always trading and wheeling-dealing with the local music shops. I think he traded Mike a couple of nice fiddles for this guitar. It's extraordinary really. Been played way more days than not in the last 40 years, and is never far from my reach when I'm at home. Even though I have a Martin D-28 and a handmade small-body Charis, this guitar has a mature and rich full sound that is just amazing. I've had a few pros play it (I live in Nashville) and they are always just blown away by it. It's a really nice spruce top, and I *think* it's got Brazilian back and sides. 2 piece back. Vine of life inlay on the fretboard. There is some fretwear (As I said, I PLAY it), and a very few minor dings, but overall it's in really, really nice condition for a guitar of this age.

I think the original price tag (at least what Mike had on it) was $1195. Which seems dang high to me for a late 70's dread?

Interested in whatever anyone can tell me about this guitar. I wish I had some better pix with me here, but this is the only one I can find right now. I can post some better shots including details later with s/n etc if that helps.

I'm thinking of having an appraisal done, just because I want to know what it's "worth" for insurance purposes. No intention ever to get rid of it.

I've had zero luck finding much of anything about Aria III guitars online.

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments:
Aria_acoustic.jpg
Aria_acoustic.jpg [ 96.33 KiB | Viewed 893 times ]
PostPosted: Wed 27 Jun 2018 08:48 AM 
Virtuoso

Welcome.
I'm not much of an acoustic guy but that is a beautiful guitar! :love:
I wish I knew more but I've only seen a handful of references to Aria III guitars and most within the last 5 yrs or so. Can you get a pic of the label?
More pics in general would be nice if you can, we like pics.
For an appraisal, you could just send it to me. I promise I'll send it back... eventually... :devil2:
All jokes aside, I'd be interested in how this compares to some "better known" names.

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday