The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 12:28 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help determining worth
PostPosted: Mon 05 Nov 2018 04:08 PM 
Virtuoso

of an Aria AE 100 VL acoustic/electric (Elecord) from 1983. The guitar is in excellent condition w/case. A guy in my town has it for sale with a "make (reasonable) offer" and I could definitely use a decent acoustic.

Pete

Uncle Mats ES-500, RS Wildcat, RSB Deluxe, FS-750, Magna MA 30 (non-Mat), TA-61 non-Mat), a Westone limited run/proto Thunder and an OAKLAND (Westone) XI100.

Pete

PostPosted: Wed 07 Nov 2018 01:03 PM 
Virtuoso

Couple of photos. The guy even has all of the original paperwork/guarantee.

Attachments:
Aria_AE100.jpg [84.07 KiB]
Downloaded 171 times
Aria_AE100a.jpg [69.98 KiB]
Downloaded 171 times

Uncle Mats ES-500, RS Wildcat, RSB Deluxe, FS-750, Magna MA 30 (non-Mat), TA-61 non-Mat), a Westone limited run/proto Thunder and an OAKLAND (Westone) XI100.

Pete
PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov 2018 10:39 AM 
Virtuoso

These are not common in the US- maybe nobody here has an idea of the value.

Here's one in France: http://leshop-lyon.fr/1502/vendu-aria-p ... endue.html

Another was available in the US: https://reverb.com/item/14815779-aria-a ... n-sunburst

Catalog page: http://www.matsumoku.org/models/a-ap2_a ... 1.jpg.html

Now that I've seen this model, I want one! I have always liked the oval soundhole. I think they might sell for much less in the U.S. than the asking prices above.

-Steve W.

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov 2018 12:41 PM 
Virtuoso

That's a beauty!

I think what makes this unusual is the trapeze tailpiece. That's not often seen on acoustics because it takes the tension away from the bridge/soundboard and transfers it to the lower bout.

That's good because it pretty much prevents the sound board from ever bellying up over time. But it's not so good for volume/projection because you don't get a solid downwards pressure on the bridge to transfer the full string energy to the sound board.

Of course Aria knows this and that's why there's a built in pickup. Problem solved, all good!

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2018 05:19 PM 
Virtuoso

Barry-

I think it's an archtop, so the tailpiece might make sense. The bridge seems to have height adjustment knobs at each side- maybe it's not permanently attached to the top. I'd add a neck-mounted jazz pickup.

-Steve W.

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2018 09:17 PM 
Virtuoso

numbfingers wrote:
...I'd add a neck-mounted jazz pickup.

That should sound better than the piezo or transducer that I assume is in there now. But you might have a fit problem because of the curve at the end of the fret board?

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov 2018 05:21 PM 
Virtuoso

Yikes! Those prices are way out!

I haven't had a chance to call the guy, too many birthdays in the family, but I HOPE he hasn't seen those sites... :o

It IS an archtop and the sound is great with and without amp. I had the chance to see/hear/play one in '05 at a sailplane competition. Made me almost throw my cheap Spanish 3/4er in the trash (I didn't). I agree with numbfingers... I want it :hyper: : - but I'm not about to shell out a thou :barf:

The ELECORD pick-up is said to be an excellent system.

Wish I could find out what the list price was.

Pete

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2018 06:34 AM 
Virtuoso

I visited the seller this last Friday and conversed for about an hour. He is retired and has a room full of VERY nice axes - mostly acoustics from nearly all the major builders and is simply weeding out. Selling this one simply because he doesn't have an Amp and that it's so nice that he's afraid to take it out of the house!

The guitar is immaculate! I couldn't even see any scratches other than on the pick-guard. There was a minor bit of fretwear and the Git is kept in its case. Sound is REALLY nice but I was not able to test the amped sound - my son was not able to bring his micro stack. We got to the point of what he was considering a "reasonable asking price" and I nearly choked :o (altho I WAS expecting it)! 900 Euros! I was able to partially recover :roll: and he asked what I was able prepared to shell out which was half of his price. We agreed on a price that was reasonable to both of us and I mentioned that I was going to a flea-market on the weekend where I hoped to sell some of my model aircraft and kits (yeah, TWO rather expensive hobbies!) and possibly be able to raise some more cash, but the market didn't pan out,,, :cry: . No others have inquired about the guitar as yet, so he said that he' keep me in mind.

A nice thing is that he lives only 500 meters from me!

Pete