The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 16 May 2024 01:14 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: A554
PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct 2009 04:32 AM 
Virtuoso

rospo:

I apologize for not responding sooner. I haven't had the time to spend here & overlooked your question.

The top on my 554 is made of two solid (non-laminated) book-matched boards joined together with a single glue line running down the center of the top. The top is braced with traditional fan bracing.

I think the term "double top" refers to an acoustic that uses non-traditional bracing materials. I have heard of acoustic builders experimenting with a bracing system using some kind of new synthetic honeycomb material (only small points contact the top in a matrix pattern, supposedly allowing the top to vibrate more freely), but that's a new development--I have no experience with it--I haven't even seen it.

I've only read of where some premiere builders have been experimenting with it. As far as I know, there was nothing like that available when my guitar was made.

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct 2009 04:47 AM 
Power Chorder

Thank you for the reply, slo-hand.
My A553 top could be similar to A554 top (?)

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct 2009 05:17 AM 
Virtuoso

If I understand the nomenclature (model numbers) correctly, the 553 is a flamenco guitar where the 554 is a "standard" classical.

The top wood would be similar to a 554, but flamencos differ from classicals in the following ways:

(1) Flamenco tops are the thinnest of the classical guitars (generally they don't sustain quite as well--they are made more for percussive playing--they have a tendency to be very loud on the attack & decay quicker)

(2) Flamenco tops are often braced differently

(3) Flamenco guitars are typically built to be as light as possible (less dense back, side, & neck woods)

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct 2009 05:50 AM 
Power Chorder

Thank you again slo-hand. Your reply is very interesting. Yes, my guitar is a flamenco guitar.
Best wishes.
rospo