The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 03:06 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sun 03 Aug 2014 03:12 PM 
Virtuoso

Oh deary me.
Just when ya think the GAS is all gone, up pops another bubble! :P

So there I was just a browsing the local ads, ya know, like you do when you have nothing else to do in yer life.
When I spotted a little Kijiji ad for a Vantage electric: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/city-of-toronto/vantage-electric-guitar/1006821182
Only 3 fuzzy pictures, none of which showed the back or headstock, so I was left to ponder over which model, which year, etc. :unsure:

I figured it was a VP700...but then again, maybe...a neck thru 800?! Maddening. I was worrying it to death all last evening, until I finally decided I didn't care if it was neck thru or set neck. Either way it would be beautiful I reckoned. And the price was goo-o-o-d! So, early this morning I struck out for the little "pawn shop" store, way, way over there, on the East side of Toronto, about 80 KM from my place in the West.

Well sir, I walked into the shop, headed for the back corner where the instruments were and quickly grabbed it off the stand! As soon as I had my grubby little paws on it it immediately felt "right". It was slim, light, beautifully contoured and absolutely in gorgeous condition! Hardly played by the look of it.

I flipped her over.
Set neck.
VP700.
Or, to be more specific, if I'm reading Mozart's ongoing history post correctly, this is finished in Harvest Ash, which would make it a VP710.
And according to Trevor's dating post, the serial # is 71447 making her a 1979 build.

Before, tear down and after pictures will be coming later.
Right now my camera batteries are recharging and all I have is the old Android phone camera which likely won't do it justice.

Meantime, not much to with her. Aside from the hideous "Volume" and "Tone" knobs the only thing I've found amiss so far is that the previous owner used a nail to fasten the neck side strap button! :toopid: Sadly, this ain't the first guitar I've bought with this lovely fix. Apparently wood screws are shockingly scarce in my part of the world! :roll:

I also noted that the micro switch (coil cut) toggle was a little wobbly, indicating that it might be time for replacement. Other than some finger jam on the fretboard, she plays well and sounds like the "roar" of MMK45's in there. To be confirmed.

Am I a happy chappy? You betcha!
And for those playing along at home, this makes number 32 in the herd, the 18th Mats, and the 8th Vantage (2 acoustic) :D

PostPosted: Sun 03 Aug 2014 03:58 PM 
Virtuoso

Yeah!! Get some!! :up:

You have the same amount of self control that I have in that you cannot walk past a good deal.... and the chase is very much part of the experience, eh!! :lol:

Look forward to photies, my friend!

PostPosted: Sun 03 Aug 2014 07:23 PM 
Virtuoso

Pics or it didn't happen. . . :D

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Sun 03 Aug 2014 08:30 PM 
Virtuoso

Oh ye of little faith!
Assuming it ain't raining tomorrow, your whim will be my command. :toopid:

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug 2014 09:40 AM 
Virtuoso

Congrats, Barry!
Since I had to minimize my collection from 32 to approx 20, it was about time for you to buy another one. Some kind of global counterpoise for the empty space in my music room! :D :wink:

Waiting for pics!

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug 2014 11:39 AM 
Virtuoso

very good deal Barry

:up:

Post subject: PIX!
PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug 2014 01:50 PM 
Virtuoso

Rain is threatening as I write, so here are a few grab pictures using the phone cam. This is the way I received her. I have done nothing to it yet.
Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image

You'll notice the price sticker is still on the back of the neck (CAD$199.99) and so is the original protective paper over the control cavity cover!
Because I located their ad on Kijiji the store charged me that price ($180 tax included!). Had I just walked in a bought it without knowing about the ad I would have paid $199.99 + 13% tax! Score! Oh and it came with a basic gig bag too.

Final quick comments. The nut appears to be bone, the bridge is recessed into the body, the fingerboard and frets are perfect, and the neck joint is flawlessly set.

A very classy build all around. More pix will follow as I give her a final cleanup. (Still hate those darn knobs)

Last edited by Barry on Mon 04 Aug 2014 04:58 PM, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug 2014 02:38 PM 
Virtuoso

Sweeeet! :drool: Great deal!

No 1979 build though, she's probably from 1981!
The logo change (Big V) took place around 5/80.
April/May 1980 brought the start of the 7-digit serial number system for most VANTAGE models - but not for all!
Some lines kept the old number system, like VP700 and VA800, some lines got their own new system (VA900).

7 stands for the model line (700), 1 most likely for '81, and 447 = production number
(2nd interpretation: 7 = model line, 1447 = prod. no.)
However, this guitar was NOT built before 5/80.
If you wanna know it for sure, have a look under the bridge. My 700VP has "1979" stamped there.

VP710 is right. (10 = light variant, confirmed by some guitar magazine ads)

I like Vantage's stringthrough models better than their stoptail counterparts. (e.g.VP790). I bet your VP710 sounds as good as my 700VP! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug 2014 04:53 PM 
Virtuoso

Thanks Johann. Man, trying to follow the dating on these things gives me a headache! Glad you're here to set it right. :up:

I did wonder about the 1979 date, she definitely "feels" 1980's, if you know what I mean. I was just now playing her and, man, this is one beautiful, comfortable playing instrument. I don't know why I continue to be amazed at the quality of the Mats guitars but it still makes me shake my head in admiration and wonder.

I still haven't had time today to strip her down. Shortly after I took the above pix, we had a line of severe thunder storms pass through, so the outside strip down I had planned will have to wait for another day.

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug 2014 05:17 PM 
Virtuoso

She's beautiful! Except for the knobs of course. . . :D

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday