The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 02:00 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
PostPosted: Wed 13 Jan 2016 10:09 AM 
Virtuoso

Geez Neal, that's a nasty story about yer "ex".

I have never understood the disdain, anger, and downright hate, that some spouses manifest towards their significant others' guitars and making music. Is it rooted in jealousy? Envy? Narcissism? Would they rather the money and energy be put instead towards drugs, gambling and women? (Shoes!?)

My first wife was a fan and supported me. The current one gave me a lot of verbal grief at first but now (thankfully) just remains quiet on the subject. But to physically destroy your instruments? Displaced aggression. Very unsettling.

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jan 2016 07:04 AM 
Virtuoso

Strewth!! I've never had those kinda worries, thankfully!

Anyway, back OT... stripping the paint back is a mission, eh! I've discovered the trick to getting it off and that is a paint burner used by pros to strip weatherboards back. I tried 40 grit... just scratched the clear coat. then a citris-y paint stripper.... didn't even touch it! Industrial stripper... toxic enough to make your eyes water when you're outside.... softened the clear coat. Hot air stripper... very, very slow.
Big honking gas flame... yep; that's the ticket, but gee; brutal!! :-? So, it's going slowly as I really don't want to scorch it too badly even if it is being painted...

Gone away from the bird mural and back to a purple burst of some sort; I found some very tasteful ones with a Google search, and I'm quite sure my painter will have some ideas...

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jan 2016 09:33 AM 
Virtuoso

Paint burner!? Holy cr@p! :no: :look:
You'd best start practicing the Talking Heads' "Burning Down The House"!

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar 2016 12:06 AM 
Virtuoso

Right. Having all kinds of dramas finding the 'right' veneer and I was out in the shed just having a look at it when it occurred to me that maybe I'm overthinking this...

... is there any love out there for a 'road-worn' AV325?? Here's what a mock-up will look like - note that the nut is brass and absent and that the bridge isn't the one that will be going on there... oh, and the board needs surfaced and fretted...

The more I look at this arrangement, the more I like it; I'll get Hans to blow a two-pack gloss clear over it and the headstock - I'm going to give the neck a gunstock treatment.

So.. what do the few left in here reckon; runner, or not??

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar 2016 04:58 AM 
Virtuoso

Just your style John. Munted :P
Love it.
At least it's not slime green :)

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar 2016 11:37 AM 
Virtuoso

That's pretty much what mine looked like too after I stripped all the layers of paint and stickers(!) Um, I didn't have the lovely scorch marks though. :lol:

I remember thinking at the time that I rather liked the deep stain in the grain effect but I wasn't able to move from that position to where you are now in your thinking. I went the other way and re-stained it to cover it up.

Just wondering though if clear would be a satisfying finish. Could be a little bland, especially with a natural neck. You might consider a tint of some sort to give it that vintage-been-around-the-block look? A butterscotch-y colour like an old Tele might do the trick if you can swing it. Just enough to let the uh, road worn markings show through. You might even cheat a bit and scuff up the finish in certain areas.

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar 2016 03:16 PM 
Axe Slinger

Hello you guys.
Ain't been here for a little bit, HOWEVER I do check in occasionally and see what skinny is goin on....

If I were you, and I'm not, I might consider a silver color.
A silver color that has the appearance of "orange Peel" finish.
Not the regular type though.
The overly exaggerated kind.
Not to "feel" but to look like.
A N D !!!!!,,,, I would try to get it to look like the 10mm x 10mm coarse random pattern that happens when the black doesn't blend.
Imagine a silver paint job gone wrong when the silver and the black are from two different mfg.'s and there is this wild chemical reaction goin on....
like two dis-similar paint formula colors not blending BUT silver that has the spider veins look with the black

and by the way.. I love the title of your post

I too have to *cough cough...another one"

I am expecting soon a wine colored vlp spirit that will need some TLC
yippeeeee for me again....lmao but Not at any of you dudes here!!!!

I will post some pics and keep you fellas up to date on what's goin on with this new acquisition.....
:D :D :D :D
Cheers
Grams

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar 2016 05:18 PM 
Virtuoso

Good on you, fellas; I most certainly appreciate the input... BUT... I really do like where this is heading and I believe I shall do exactly as I said I might!! :wink:

Yeah, Barry, I wondered the same thing but on reflection I've done 4 guitars now with 'proper' finishes and I do like the plain but distressed butchers block of the body wood; less is more? I'll have a yarn with Hans to see what we can do with a clear coat - perhaps a little pearl through it or something?!

You actually like it, Don, or you just shining me on?? :D

Graham, like the black idea, but loathe silver as a colour so probs won't do that!! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar 2016 12:14 AM 
Virtuoso

I dig it. :rockwoot:

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul 2016 04:17 PM 
Virtuoso

Well.... seems time is inexorably creeping along and I've not done a whole hell of a lot!

I have pickups - P90s - which sound jolly nice in the Westone Spectrum I currently have them in - and I set to t'other night and re-fretted the neck. I have yet to tidy it up and stuff but we're getting close to lift off; the body and h/stock have been clear coated and the neck will be gunstock waxed, so still a bit to be going on with but progress of a type....

:lol:

Pix later...