The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 12:34 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct 2016 03:42 AM 
Gallery Friend

Hi to all,

Great site, I've learned a lot, thanks to the folks who keep it running.
Bear with me while I get used to the site!

I'm a guitar player who has recently taken up Bass after a long break from it. Picked up a Vantage VP710B in pretty much mint condition that has been sitting in the case for a very long time. It's had a good cleanup and during the setup process I noticed the dreaded bent bridge I've just seen on this site a few times.
I will get pics up as soon as I get an image host working.

Looking online, it seems a few Vantage Bass owners have had the same issue and say an Epi 3 bolt bridge is a drop in replacement. Most of the older threads here have a link to an Allparts bridge "allparts BB-0333-001 3-Point Bass Bridge" that seems to work for the Vantage Bass, but nobody has any in stock anymore. Looks like that part has gone AWOL.

Looking elsewhere on the bay, I see Epiphone replacements have different dimensions to the bridge on the VP710B.
The Kmise ones getting around say that they are Epi replacements and they may well fit an Epi, I don't know.
Kmise say their Epi 3 post bridge is a total 102.2mm across.
The Vantage one is wider at a total 108mm and the 2 main bolt's spacing is 86mm by the look of it.
The hipshot modification one user here did is great, but I would just as soon avoid the woodwork around the cavity on this Bass, I'm not too good at it.

If anyone knows of a "drop in" 3 bolt bridge for the Vantage VP710B that is available and will fit, in 2016, any info would be appreciated.

Thanks to anyone for their thoughts on this, I'm really stuck and this Bass needs to be recorded, it sounds awesome!
I will post pics where appropriate, I read the site intro stuff and don't want to get it wrong!

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct 2016 06:06 PM 
Gallery Friend

Pics of my recent find:

Now the bridge:

Which gives the A & D strings a pronounced higher action...

Clearly it has spent a long time in the case, strung up with very thick strings (now removed) and the tension, over time, has pulled up on this cast metal bridge.

Anyone know if the Hipshot SuperTone for Gibson/Epiphone will fit straight in?
Or a newer one I've seen, The Babicz FCH 3 point Bass Bridge perhaps...

Of course I will take the bridge off and measure all dimensions, and give Hipshot an email for exact dimensions of their product. As I've seen a couple of players here on the forum fit Epi bridges a few years ago, I assume an aftermarket Epi bridge will fit. But I shall measure to be sure.
Will keep the thread updated when I find a replacement bridge.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat 29 Oct 2016 02:13 PM 
Virtuoso

Are you and the bridge source both measuring center to center?

PostPosted: Sat 29 Oct 2016 09:51 PM 
Virtuoso

I see a couple that might be the Allparts on eBay. IIRC, we're not supposed to link to eBay here, so search for

BB-0333-001 Heavy Nickel Bridge For Gibson Epiphone Bass Stud Spacing

or

Nickel Bridge For Gibson Epiphone Bass BB-0333-001

or maybe just

Bridge BB-0333-001

I know nothing about the bass or if these would fit.

-Steve W.

PostPosted: Sun 30 Oct 2016 12:37 AM 
Gallery Friend

Hi and thanks for the replies,

Numbfingers, I've scoured around for that Allparts number for some time.
All I can find are out of stock items on websites or some very cheap looking cast, black bridges on the bay.
I suspect I'm going to need individual string height adjustment, it just makes sense as the original cast bridge had the radius inbuilt, until it suffered 30+ years of string tension, corrosion and then bent.
I do see a number of candidates around, but it all comes back to what will fit and what will not fit the Bass.
Most of the cheaper solutions have no measurements provided on the ad pages and getting accurate ones from Ebay sellers can be hit & miss at times.
It does look like a flat Epi-style replacement bridge may not cut it with regard to getting radius properly set up for string heights, with no hardware buzzing or wound string overhang these Basses can have.
An adjustable replacement gets rid of a few inherent issues with the original bridge design.

RSBBass, I'm not sure I understand the exact wording of your post. Sorry about that.
That said, I've got what I have of my measurements here and hope that answers your question.
All measurements were taken with quite an old, non-digital set of calipers, a steel rule and are the closest measurements I can get.
Tolerances are not spot on with this old measuring equipment and my eyesight, but they are very close +/- 0.5mm.
Please excuse my primitive "drawings" on paint, a draftsman I ain't, but for indicative purposes it may help.
Of course it's not "to scale" and is only here for illustrative purposes.

I see two other options around the place for "drop in" replacements, with adjustable saddle heights:

The Babicz, used on current Gibson Basses. That page should give Bridge dimensions in a pop-up window.
http://www.fullcontacthardware.com/fch- ... -style.htm

The Hipshot SuperTone, whose measurements are here: https://www.hipshotproducts.com/files/all/supertone.pdf

I converted all the Hipshot's and Babicz's measurements here using google to convert inches to mm and vice versa.
Interesting, as both manufacturers say it is a "drop in" Gibson replacement bridge, yet both have ever so slightly differing dimensions...

Measurements:

Hipshot Supertone 3 point Bass Bridge
(as provided by manufacturer's spec sheet & converted in google)

Anchor Bolt Spacing 3.375" = 85.725mm
Total string spacing width 2.089" = 53.06mm
Rear to front total length 2.49" = 63.24mm
Rear to front bolt distance 1.48" = 37.592mm
Total width 4.25" = 107.95mm

Babicz FCH 3 Point Gibson Style Bridge
(as provided by manufacturer's spec sheet & converted in google)

Anchor Bolt Spacing 3.390" = 86.106mm
Total string spacing width 2.055" = 52.197mm
Rear to front total length 2.775" = 70.485mm
Rear to front bolt distance 1.5" = 38.1mm
Total Width 4.030" = 102.362mm

Vantage VP710 stock Bridge measurements
(slightly bent bridge, as measured with my old calipers & converted in google)

Anchor Bolt Spacing = (3.337") 85.8mm (Approx - less than 86mm and more than 85.5mm)
Total string spacing = (2.125") 54mm (measured from centre of intonation screws)
Rear to front total length = (2.08") 53mm
Rear to front bolt distance = (1.496") 38mm
Total Width = (4.094") 104mm

It looks as if both the Hipshot and Babicz are within wriggle room and may fit with a little persuasion.
At this stage the Hipshot looks like the closest fit.
I am worried about the cavity in the VP710B Bass and dealing with it underneath any new bridge I install.
I don't have the capacity to tackle it as this forum user did, with his excellent work:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8897&p=58934&hilit=VP710B#p58934
Nor do I really want to go hacking into this Bass, filling cavities or any of that, hence the need for a fairly close drop in replacement if it is possible to achieve.

I can see the Allparts Epi bridge (where available) may work.
This guy dropped one into a Vantage Bass, but he also has no frets, so not a lot of work to get rid of buzz on that one.
https://www.talkbass.com/threads/32-bas ... 34.637710/
Maybe the Babicz one with the shim will work.

Of course anything can be made to fit, but I think most will agree, the less filing out of bolt holes, the better.
I'm waiting to hear back from Hipshot when the time zones are such that they are open for business.

I am unsure if these Hipshot and Babicz options will still sit in the air as a 3 post arrangement, or if they are supposed to be screwed down hard against the body timber. The New Gibson Basses that have the Babicz look as if they are screwed down to the timber.
I am aware that "Full contact hardware" on the context of Babicz stuff, does not necessarily mean full contact with the instrument body, but full contact of the saddle to the bridge.
It looks as if I will be dealing with a significant issue trying to fit one of these bridges either into, or over, the cavity already in the Vantage VP710B Bass.

Thoughts?

And thanks for lookin guys, I do appreciate it.
I will be ordering, fitting and I will keep the thread updated with pics if anything fits.

Any feedback much appreciated.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun 30 Oct 2016 04:22 PM 
Virtuoso

Gonzo wrote:
Numbfingers, I've scoured around for that Allparts number for some time.
All I can find are out of stock items on websites or some very cheap looking cast, black bridges on the bay.

Searching for

BB-0333-001

on eBay shows two bridges that appear to be the Allparts. Might be in stock. Did you look at those? Both sellers have a return policy.

-Steve W.

PostPosted: Sun 30 Oct 2016 05:22 PM 
Gallery Friend

Thanks mate,

I do see them now, the BB-0333-001 Bridges. Thanks for the hedzup!
I just wonder how one gets a fretboard radius with those, it may work for an Epi or Gibson but I don't know about the Vantage. The Vantage bridge is curved, just bent too far in this case.
In Australian dollars, a shot at one of those is over $100, including shipping and the returns to the USA are prohibitive in cost and time. I don't want to stuff sellers around with returns anyway, if it does not fit.
If I have to make one fit and take a file to it at all, I guess I would rather be able to get the strings up off the middle of the fretboard with individual string height adjustment, which is just not an option with this Epi/Vantage design.
Both the Hipshot and Bubicz are here in Oz for $180.
It's a lot of money for an unexpected upgrade, but I'll have to pick one soon I guess.

Thanks for the input, it's very welcome.

When I find a solution, I shall post pics.
(So long as my image host keeps my pics up for me...)

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun 30 Oct 2016 07:11 PM 
Gallery Friend

Fixed?

Before:

After:

With $180 cost looming I worked with what I had to hand and flattened the existing bridge.
I read on another forum, that it was a cast piece of metal and would not take kindly to being bent and I would usually agree.
Before ordering an expensive replacement I thought I had nothing to lose with the existing bridge so I made up a jig, clamped it in this setup and squashed it back to flat in a large metal vice.

A couple of observations on this...
Firstly, the metal is quite malleable and has lasted 35+ years under tension, yet it had no cracks in it.
It appears that these bent bridges might be a product of user adjustment.
If the middle bolt is adjusted without regard for the outer two anchor bolts, it pulls up in the middle of the bridge.
Any passing person with a screwdriver is capable of generating a lot of force on the bridge via that centre bolt pulling upwards. Done under full string tension and left in a case most of it's life, it's no surprise that forces applied will lift the middle of the otherwise, quite malleable bridge material.
Just a thought...

How long before it pops up again, I hear you ask?
I cannot be sure, but I'll hazard a guess, if nobody adjusts the middle screw without adjusting the outer ones at the same time - it will probably never happen again.
The Gibson old timers will probably know all this, as this style bridge is as old as Adam, and they do crack, but I think adjustment through the lifetime of the bridge has a lot to do with whether it bends or not.
I see on forums a few bent ones here and there, but the majority seem to have survived intact.
Whilst it's not great, maybe this design is not as problematic after all.

It certainly does make the Epi style bridges Numbfingers speaks of, probably more of a candidate than I had first thought, as this bridge is now near flat and the A & D strings are still a little high.
It plays so much better and is showing promise.
I may well order up one of those EPi style bridges after all, Thanks Numbfingers, the numbers you dug up for me are much appreciated.

Thanks for the input guys.
If I order anything I shall fit, take pics of the install process and upload for the thread.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct 2016 09:37 AM 
Virtuoso

Thanks for a nicely detailed write up on this recurring problem Gonzo. I don't play bass but I've been aware of this bending issue for some time and I know it has affected a lot of owners.

I had a similar problem on my circa 1998 Danelectro reissue guitars. I have 2 of them with the period correct flat plate steel and rosewood bridges. These experience the same problem of bending under string stress, the difference being that the plate is supported at the sides and collapses rather than arching upwards. The end result is still buggered up action.

I did exactly the same thing as you with my first one and flattened it in a vise. But the metal on these re-issues is really soft and I eventually replaced the bridge with something more stable. A pity, since the it loses a bit of the vintage sound but at least it's playable and stable.

Best of luck with yours!

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct 2016 11:19 AM 
Axe Slinger

Didn't Westbone on the Westone forum have fix for this? I think it involved adding some circular bar to strengthen it up...???

I did a quick search on Westone site, but couldn't find the post I am thinking of.