The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sat 20 Apr 2024 06:03 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sun 06 May 2018 10:45 AM 
Gallery Friend

I picked this beauty up yesterday at an independent guitar shop in BC's Kootenays for $150. based on what I could find at http://www.vantage-guitars.com/serialnumber/ I'm thinking it's a 1982 model, but wanted to post here to confirm. It's definitely not one of the fancy models like the ones in the posted catalogues, but it's solid wood construction, rosewood fretboard and has a maple neck.

Does anyone know anything about these standard II models? Were they a cheaper line? The Serial is 2050355, and is located on the backplate over a stylized V and 'Made in Japan'.

Overall, it feels and plays better than some of the SGs I've played, especially Gibson's new sub $1k line of SGs. I'll take this vantage any day over one of those! The one oddball thing about this guitar is that it only has three pots for volume/tone. I think the tone pot is supposed to affect both the neck and bridge, but it only works with the bridge. I'm sure there's been some re-wiring done over the years :loon:

Attachment:
IMG_20180506_082049.jpg [144.94 KiB]
Downloaded 156 times

Attachment:
IMG_20180506_082106.jpg [101.52 KiB]
Downloaded 156 times

Attachment:
IMG_20180506_082134.jpg [94.62 KiB]
Downloaded 156 times

PostPosted: Sun 06 May 2018 10:46 AM 
Gallery Friend

And the maple neck ...

Attachment:
IMG_20180506_084212.jpg [122.91 KiB]
Downloaded 153 times

PostPosted: Sun 06 May 2018 12:17 PM 
Axe Slinger

I like the look of that!

Never seen one before, but looks like it is a very close relation to the Avenger line-up.

PostPosted: Sun 06 May 2018 04:30 PM 
Virtuoso

"Standard II" is new one on me too.
It does have an Avenger vibe to it but the body shape is too symmetrical to be an AV.
Does she have MMK45's?

Not an SG clone but very kewl nonetheless.
As Jorg might say, "I dig it" :rockwoot:

PostPosted: Sun 06 May 2018 04:49 PM 
Virtuoso

What is it with Vantage and black finishes, eh?! They must have got a job lot of black paint somewhere.... :lol:

Anyway, I've seen these before - can't think of where offhand! - but yeah - very nice indeed! Looks to be in good nick, as well so score one for the good guys.... and for C$150?! Sweet!!

Pots should be V/V/T and it is possible that the tone only works on the bridge; no push/pull pots for phase reverse and/or coil split??

PostPosted: Sun 06 May 2018 11:55 PM 
Virtuoso

I do dig it!! :rockwoot:

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Mon 07 May 2018 04:44 PM 
Gallery Friend

I didn't think to see if I could pull the pots. I'll give it a whirl tonight!

I'm not sure what kind of PUPs are in it, and I'm afraid to take it apart. They don't look like other pickups I've seen. These ones have what looks like a female hex nut on the top each pole, instead of being little screws. I was thinking about adding chrome covers - so if I do, I'll report back with what I find :)

I am definitely excited to polish it up and start playing this beauty though! It feels like it's had a quality set-up in the past. The action is near perfect :hyper:

PostPosted: Mon 07 May 2018 10:09 PM 
Virtuoso

I think I'd be careful about putting covers on the pups. There's more involved than appearance.

A pickup needs to be designed from the beginning with an integrated cover. Unless they're the correct metal alloy they can have a negative effect on the tone, kind of like putting your hand over your mouth when you talk. That's the main reason players historically have removed them to expose the bobbins and poles.

IIRC they need to be nickel chrome, not cheap not steel/tin plated. Nickel is key to maintaining the magnetic field strength.

Of course there's plastic too, but the look is not too exciting.

PostPosted: Tue 08 May 2018 12:31 AM 
Gallery Friend

I do kind of like the way they look without the covers. So if it's a tricky thing, I might just not so I can keep the original integrity of the instrument in tact as much as I can.

An aside: I saw an Aria Pro II with similar pickups (except single coil). According to the owner, they are the originals. I had been wondering if the PUPS on mine were switched out, but maybe not!

I now have Vantage fever again. It's been a lot of years since I sold my old Vantage Les Paul Copy - but I think that one was a later Korean model, and wasn't nearly as nice to play as this one. :love:

PostPosted: Tue 08 May 2018 03:20 AM 
Virtuoso

I'd be pretty sure the pickups are MMK 45s - that will be stamped on the bottom plate of the pickup - so a DiMarzio SD clone and decent pickups when all's said and done!

We'd all be interested in your impressions of it when you've had a chance to wring it out a bit....