The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 01:54 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu 02 Aug 2018 01:25 AM 
Prospective Member

Yep, another guy here mainly to get help with the identification of a Vantage guitar...but I also have another question or two.
So first, I'm considering buying a Vantage VA-10 DK. The label inside reads "Sound by Design", "Made in Japan" and has serial number 080407.

Obviously I'm hoping that someone out there might be able to provide some insight on this guitar. But I'm also wondering, if it says made in Japan, does that necessarily mean at the Matsumoku location?

The sound hole appears to be standard round. I read that this means it is not Matsumoku. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!

EDIT: I did find in another thread that the VA-10 DK was introduced in 1982, and also that it features a spruce top and Acajou (Mahogany) backs and sides. Still unsure how to interpret the serial number (date wise) and all questions above still apply, including would this be a solid top or laminate, for example? Thanks again! :)

PostPosted: Thu 02 Aug 2018 10:10 AM 
Virtuoso

Hi and welcome.

Rule number one concerning Matsumoku made instruments is, "specifications are subject to change without notice". :D
Yes we have catalogues and a lot of data compiled by a lot of dedicated folks in the forum...BUT...sometimes, just when you think you have a handle on it, everything goes pear shaped! We're always finding exceptions.

Pictures would help a lot here, but yes, the label would confirm this is a Mats, they did not go out of business until 1987. The serial # indicates a 1980 or possibly an '81 build. Assuming that the label was current at he time of the build and not an old one from stock, that would seem to contradict Mozart's research that the VA-10 was made in 1982.

However, concerning the round instead of oval sound hole, most likely, this is simply an earlier version, possibly a limited run to test market acceptance, before they switched to the oval design to 'sex' it up a bit and release it formally.

Construction details as you stated are correct, and AFAIK all tops are solid wood not plyw...uh, laminate.

I wouldn't worry if this is genuine or not. It looks to be the real deal. If you like it, grab it. The Vantage line is excellent value.

PostPosted: Thu 02 Aug 2018 10:13 PM 
Prospective Member

Thanks Barry...much appreciated! I'll check it out this weekend.