The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 12:00 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Vantage VLP models
PostPosted: Sun 12 Apr 2020 05:54 AM 
Power Chorder

Was a little bit surprised, that no-one had posted anything 'bout Vantage's LP versions (hence the "VLP"???).. Tried "search" on the forum, but no results what so ever. Anyway, here's one..
https://lehmo.com/fox/lataamo/Vantage_VLP540.jpg

Post subject: Re: Vantage VLP models
PostPosted: Sun 12 Apr 2020 10:54 AM 
Virtuoso

Very nice!

There was a major operating system crash recently which resulted in a loss of part of our database. That might account for the lack of search hits? IIRC there have been some VLP posts.

PostPosted: Sun 12 Apr 2020 03:08 PM 
Virtuoso

Yes, there used to be posts on these. I've wanted one of these since about 1980. . . :(

Quality service since 3:00 last Tuesday

PostPosted: Sun 12 Apr 2020 04:12 PM 
Power Chorder

Jorg wrote:
Yes, there used to be posts on these. I've wanted one of these since about 1980. . . :(

Quite scarce an' seldom seen guitars also here "in da far north" .. In fact that one is fourth or fifth one I've seen in decades... Ibanezzes, DIAs, Kasugas and some other straight LP copies in the seventies/eighties, but yes, only a handful of those bolt-on necked Vantage VLPs.. OK, if we speak 'bout "straight copies", here in Europe they existed a little bit longer than summer -77.. in fact I happen to have a SL 550S Yamaha with "open book" hs from 1981-82..
I guess no-one has any information about the build numbers of any "uncle Mat's" guitars?

PostPosted: Wed 06 May 2020 04:33 AM 
Virtuoso

Here comes a VLP-550 (cherry sunburst) that I've snagged (99.9%, waiting for the sellers' transfer details) :hyper: , that comes after a botched VLP-510 deal. The botched deal was actually a lucky break as the axe was a poorly repainted - originally cherry, re-done as a goldtop (and peeling) - and the coil-tap switch is broken/missing. The deal DID include the original, in very good shape, case and probably would have been about 100 Euros cheaper.

The 550 looks almost new, missing only the pick guard and a few normal dings and dongs. Always wanted an LP style, having had one as a loaner back in the 60's but could not get comfortable with the original Gibbys.

ImageVLP-550a by staubkorb, auf Flickr
ImageVLP-550b by staubkorb, auf Flickr

Uncle Mats ES-500, RS Wildcat, RSB Deluxe, FS-750, Magna MA 30 (non-Mat), TA-61 non-Mat), a Westone limited run/proto Thunder and an OAKLAND (Westone) XI100.

Pete

PostPosted: Wed 06 May 2020 09:28 AM 
Virtuoso

That is nice!! :love:

PostPosted: Wed 06 May 2020 01:55 PM 
Virtuoso

The photos I got of it really are nice, Jorg. I just hope my luck holds and it is as nice in the "flesh" as the photos suggest!

Uncle Mats ES-500, RS Wildcat, RSB Deluxe, FS-750, Magna MA 30 (non-Mat), TA-61 non-Mat), a Westone limited run/proto Thunder and an OAKLAND (Westone) XI100.

Pete

PostPosted: Wed 06 May 2020 03:58 PM 
Virtuoso

I've always wanted a Les Paul but could never find one with a neck that I liked. Apparently Gibson uses a Louisville Slugger as the pattern for their necks. . :doh:
I'd be willing to bet the neck on this is just like the neck on my Entertainer. It is by far the most comfortable neck I have ever played.
I'm excited for you, can't wait to see pics of it.

PostPosted: Fri 08 May 2020 07:29 AM 
Virtuoso

:D That baseball bat was the reason the GLP that I had as a loaner in the 60's remained a loaner! The neck on my first E guitar in 62 (Melody Maker) was also VERY substancial.

I've been quite content with all of my Japanese (Mats) and the Korean immediate followers.

Pete

PostPosted: Fri 08 May 2020 09:24 AM 
Virtuoso

She's a beauty for sure!

Neck profiles are a preferential thing and I agree that the Gibson 50's versions are more suited for home runs than playing.
I have 3 LP style guitars, a 2007 Chinese Epiphone Studio, a 2008 Vintage Lemon Drop (Made in Vietnam), and an '82 Vantage Entertainar (MIJ)

The necks are different but all are very comfy.
The Vintage is a very slim 60's profile almost identical to my '64 Gibson, the Epi is the beefiest of the lot but still very playable, and the Vantage probably falls somewhere in between. I think I would also give the nod to the Entertainar overall.

(I still dig the necks on the Westone Spectrums though!)