The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sun 28 Apr 2024 01:52 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu 20 Apr 2023 07:56 PM 
Prospective Member

Happy to be here!

I recently bought a VS696-12 (which is gorgeous) and I’m waiting on a VP-825… eagerly.

I noticed the 12-string is heavy—particularly in the neck, but also in the body. I’ll have to get used to it, as I’m accustomed to thinner and lighter guitars.

But this makes me wonder about the weight of the VP-790, which I was also looking at. I tend to navigate toward guitars with scale lengths of 24.75, and I chose the 825 due to its specifications (which are readily available on the Vantage guitars website) confirming this scale length. However, this isn’t the case for the 790, and no Reverb listings seem to mention it. So I’m wondering:

1) Does anyone with a 790 know the scale length? The 795 / Demon II looks like it clocks in at 24.75, so I’m assuming the 790 is the same… but I wouldn’t be surprised if it weren’t.

2) I’ve read that the 790 is all mahogany. Given that pretty much every other Vantage included a maple neck and body with ash wings, do you think the 790 is any lighter than most other models? If this is the case, I’d be very attracted toward the 790 and would probably trade or sell my 825 as soon as I see one on the online market… assuming the 825 doesn’t gel with me, which it might.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu 27 Apr 2023 07:22 AM 
Virtuoso

1- yep the same scale

2- slightly lighter but not that much, the 790 is all mahogany but given that the 790 is not a thick as the 825, slightly lighter.

once you start buying Vantage, you wont stop ! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu 27 Apr 2023 03:17 PM 
Prospective Member

Thanks Frenchy! I ended up finding a 795 with a strap button at the neck and it sits perfectly. My 825 came as well and the neck is incredible—even better than the 795's (and my PRS's). It'll probably be my go-to guitar—although it is a little neck heavy, so I'll probably have a strap button at the neck installed like the 795, and I expect it to sit similarly since they're not too different in terms of weight, surprisingly.

I will have to restrain myself from purchasing more...

Frenchy wrote:
1- yep the same scale

2- slightly lighter but not that much, the 790 is all mahogany but given that the 790 is not a thick as the 825, slightly lighter.

once you start buying Vantage, you wont stop ! :wink: