The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sat 27 Apr 2024 12:18 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri 04 Aug 2023 07:54 AM 
Gallery Friend

Hello new friends on this forum!

I few weeks ago a bought a beat up Vantage VP710 here in Uppsala, Sweden. I was intrigued by the look and the asking price was reasonable for the condition. At first I could get sounds out of both pickups but it cut in and out. The coil split-switch was snapped of. My plan is to exchange the coil-split switch, the pickup selector switch, as well as both volume and tone potentiometers. Now to the problem at hand:

I cannot for the life of me (even though my wife says I have a black belt in Google) figure out what the stampings on the original potentiometers mean except that they are 500k.

I'm hoping that someone can help me decipher this.
Volume pots: M500kΩA 13K (What does the M, A and 13 K stand for?)
Tone pots: M500kΩG 07P (The solder is covering most of the letter after the kohm stamp but as far as I can tell it says G. What does the M, G and 07P stand for?)

Save me friendly forum, you're my only hope!

Ps. I really tried to upload the photos but I can't compress them enough, here's a Dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rm853vd4is64ac2/AADi6zOROaNi3JZNB4W0NqLva?dl=0

Last edited by kajonas on Sat 06 Jan 2024 03:59 AM, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri 04 Aug 2023 11:34 AM 
Virtuoso

K is Kilo ohms or x1000 ohms so the volume and tone pot resistances are 500 Kilo ohms. 13 K may be a manufacturer designation, or possibly tolerance.

A is likely for Audio taper, common for guitar volume pots.

M probably stands for the type of logarithmic taper. From what I've read it means Modified Antilog (reverse logarithmic taper?).

Not sure about the G on the tone pot. If it is a B that could mean it is likely linear taper. Most modern midrange and lower use audio taper for tone as well. Linear or Audio taper on a tone pot is pretty much up to personal preference.

You should be fine with a set of 500K CTS pots. There are other sets available at lower cost as well. I've used many different brands.

A bit of a read but this might also help:
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/p ... tscret.htm

PostPosted: Sun 06 Aug 2023 03:50 AM 
Gallery Friend

Thank you!

Given your reply I went ahead and ordered two logarithmic (volume) and two linear (tone) CTS metric pots 500K with the right measurements. I had my eye on those but the other letters and digits on the original pots confused me :lol:

I'll post again once I've soldered the new ones to place :love:

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jan 2024 03:56 AM 
Gallery Friend

Hello again!

It's been a few months since my last post about this guitar. I've replaced the pots and switches and everything is working as it should except for one thing: the coil split switch. I soldered it the way it was on the previous one, which in hindsight might have been a mistake.

I'm hoping someone on this forum can help me figure out how the wires should be attached to the switch.

I apologize in advance if there is a good thread about this subject, I tried searching but could not find what I was looking for.

I uploaded a picture to Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/cwm8kq3u ... t71wq&dl=0