The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sat 18 May 2024 08:58 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Vantage 335 copy
PostPosted: Mon 04 Nov 2002 10:35 PM 
I'm trying to find out how old my Vantage guitar is.
Model VSH-WA ..serial number 3050918
Thanks to all who respond
Congrats on this site :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum ...I just joined and am new at using forums ,postings ,etc.

I'm still learning ! Iwant to send Aria Pro II a Public message
saying thanks for the info but I'm not sure how. Sorry again.
Why do i get the feeling everybody is now :lol: at me when I feel like :o !!
There is a picture of a similar guitar to mine in the gallery. However, mine does not have a light "stripe" of wood through the centre of the body. I replaced the pickups also and had the wiring done because someone had soldered one inch pieces together for some of the wiring :x . Is wire really that valuable :-?
I would like to send in a photo but I'm not sure how and I don't have a scanner.
P.S." L'il Ed and the Imperials " from Chicago played here (Kitchener) this summer and L'il Ed played a Vantage ( with the "stripe") all night. I talked to one of the band members after the show about the Vantage.

Is this too long! Will I be ARRESTED and TRIED in court ?

Thanks to those that are still awake.

Last edited by Dave Gray on Tue 05 Nov 2002 06:18 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 05 Nov 2002 01:15 AM 
Hi Dave!

Kinda sounds like there is a bit missing from the model number. I have a VSH-455WA (WA for Walnut finish). Going by the serial number it is a 1983. At first I wasn't too fond of mine as I didn't like the bright pickups in the 335 body. I took a chance and put a pair of leftover Cardinal Protomatic V pickups in it and WOW! That made all the difference! It's a killer guitar now and I love the vintage woody tone it has. Deep and boomy when I want it to be, yet can handle a good bit of gain with plenty of bite when needed.

Sweet guitar if it a VSH-455!

Post subject: This was Dumb
PostPosted: Tue 05 Nov 2002 06:26 PM 
So I deleted it ! :down:

Last edited by Dave Gray on Sun 10 Nov 2002 05:16 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 05 Nov 2002 06:49 PM 
Hi Dave!

Is there a label inside the bass f-hole? The model number should be there. The VSH-455 has the stripes down the front. I am not positive but I believe the VSH-445 did not have the stripe and did not have push-pull tone pots for coil cut. Is there any indication on the guitar at all as to which VSH it is?

PostPosted: Tue 05 Nov 2002 10:50 PM 
Thanks to Aria Pro II for allthe interest.

I looked inside and the model is 455 WA ( the cover on the head over te adjustment rod end ( Does this have a specific name ?) has VSH 455 engraved in it also.

The serial number is 3050918 and is stamped into the wood at the top of the back of the head in fairly large numbers.

There is no serial number listed on the piece of paper glued inside of the body.

The pickups I had put in are a Seymour Duncan '59 and a Gibson PAF (both used). I also had gold covers put on with cream pickup rings because they looked good (to me) against the walnut finish and with the yellowed bindings.

Just for interest..there is a new Vantage model 635V
cherry sunburst, HSC (what is HSC ?) 335 copy listed at www.gbase.com from Backstage Music. It has a lifetime warranty. Cost is $529.00.

Thanks to anybody who reads or replies to this.