The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sun 12 May 2024 12:12 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov 2008 04:15 PM 
Gallery Friend

Hi folks,
Guess I"m the new guy..hello all.

I ran across this forum while looking for info on a Vantage I just got in a trade. It's a VSH-435 with a serial number of 108011. I searched for forum trying to find info on how the serials work but am stumped.
Any pics I have found for this model show black open HB's but the one I have has cream open HB's with cream rings. Maybe they were changed out at some point? Not sure of the option these came with.

Once is figure out the rules of posting pics I will post some.

Any help on dating or originality of the pickups is appreciated.

Peace!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov 2008 04:39 PM 
Virtuoso

Not an expert as some on here,but i´ll give it a shot.
Seing that the serial starts with a 1 my bet would be that it´s an -81 vintage.

Vantages carry both colours pups.IOW it isn´t unusal to find Vantages with black or creams from the factory.
If you take the strings off and unbolt the pup it will most likely have a code in ink underneath starting with "MMK" followed by two digits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov 2008 05:22 PM 
Gallery Friend

Thanks for you reply :up:

Upon inspection I see what I think is MM1 on the bottom of the pickups, both seem to be the same, and eeither 19 or 61 stamped in ink on the bottom of them.
Found one issue that the seller didn't bother to mention, the saddle screw for the high E saddle is missing...dang, already scaring up parts for it. lol.

Hope these pics work:
I might have the pickup upside down..I have really bad eyes, will have to get my wife to look at what's on it.
Screw went bye bye:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov 2008 05:37 PM 
Virtuoso

MMK 61s...IOW stock pups.
Tuners though seems like german Shallers.
Might be an idea to look for stock ones that will be clearly marked "V" as in vantage in the same style as the V on the headstock.
Mainly as these guitars slowly but surely are becoming of age...and at least IMO deserves to be kept stock as best as we can.

Screw for the saddle can always be replaced.
Be aware though that the screws for guitar saddles often carry a head of lesser diameter than standard generic ones.
IOW,try a well assorted guitar parts retailer or have one made by someone with a lathe around.
Aint the end of the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov 2008 05:57 AM 
Virtuoso

Heya Blink, welcome. I'll back Racing up here: MMK61 ARE the stock PU's (my 1983 VSH-455 http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/viewto ... highlight= has them too, but in black), the Schaller's are a later upgrade. Fixing that bridge saddle won't be a big problem. Nice catch! :up:
More pics and specs on mine here: http://www.guitardir.com/specs.php?Node ... &Context=5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov 2008 04:31 PM 
Gallery Friend

GD K9 wrote:
Heya Blink, welcome. I'll back Racing up here: MMK61 ARE the stock PU's (my 1983 VSH-455 http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/viewto ... highlight= has them too, but in black), the Schaller's are a later upgrade. Fixing that bridge saddle won't be a big problem. Nice catch! :up:
More pics and specs on mine here: http://www.guitardir.com/specs.php?Node ... &Context=5

Thanks, Dang dude, that 455 is sweet!