The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sat 27 Apr 2024 04:02 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Quest by Vantage?
PostPosted: Sat 22 Feb 2003 12:35 PM 
What is the connection between Vantage and Quest. I've seen a couple in the last year and know nothing about them. Are these Uncle Matt's? Are these new or vintage?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 22 Feb 2003 01:22 PM 
I saw that one on eBay too. :D

Quest was a a "plain jane" version of the Vantage line. I wouldn't necessarily call them entry level as they were decent quality, just moderately priced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 24 Feb 2003 01:47 PM 
Virtuoso

I thought Quest was a miniature version, like half scale or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 24 Feb 2003 03:21 PM 
They did make a little mini DC, kinda cool, and even came with a matching case.

There are other models though, most were part of the Atak series.

http://www.therathole.org/guitars/models/vantage/quest/quest.html

Sorry I don't have much, but there's always hope. :D

Last edited by Anonymous on Wed 30 Mar 2005 10:18 AM, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun 2003 11:38 PM 
Power Chorder

Plain Jane? What about the Quest Manhattan? Or the Quest Black Magic? Or even that crazy hollow body they had (forgot the model name)? All of these three, which I owned at various times, were fancier than any Vantage I ever saw.

I'm curious, though, what exactly is the connection between Quest & Vantage. Just two Matsu brands or is there more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 14 Jun 2003 12:01 AM 
Big Beat wrote:
Plain Jane? What about the Quest Manhattan? Or the Quest Black Magic? Or even that crazy hollow body they had (forgot the model name)? All of these three, which I owned at various times, were fancier than any Vantage I ever saw.

I'm curious, though, what exactly is the connection between Quest & Vantage. Just two Matsu brands or is there more?

Up until now I had not heard of a "Manhattan", "Black Majic", and did not know there was a Quest by Vantage hollow. The Vantage name was sold after the Matsumoku plant was sold in 1987. Most like the the Quest name was sold as well. Quest originally was a subset line distributed by the same folks that distributed Vantage and were a little lower priced, but still good quality. This is what I meant by "plain jane". No frills, just pure instrument.

I have seen other guitars sporting the Quest name, but appeared to be older and although cool looking, were not of the same quality and simply early Japanese re-brands. I would love to see pics of a Manhattan or Black Majic. Then I would have at least some idea if they are from the same line.

There are on average over 2000 hits a month alone on the Vantage specs pages. To date no catalog scans have come in for Vantage guitars, or Quest for that matter. :( I know they exist, somewhere. :-?

Here is everything I have managed to scrape together to date with help from others.

http://www.therathole.org/guitars/models/vantage/vantage.html

I know it's not much, but that's all there is so far. I will shortly have a few updates for the VE series as there is apparently two different set neck models and if the fellow follows through I should have pics.

Last edited by Anonymous on Wed 30 Mar 2005 10:17 AM, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 14 Jun 2003 05:15 AM 
Power Chorder

Hi,

The Black Magic was a pretty fancy Strat-style, completely black with black hardware and dark red dot inlays.

The Manhattan is more Gibson-like, 2 humbuckers & stop tail, binding, 3+3 head. Stange shape, sort of like a squared-off SG, but a high quality axe.

The hollowbody was really bizare. Imagine a hollow Gibson L-6S with an oval soundhole, one humbucker, a set neck, a 6-in-line headstock and pearloid binding and inlays. And... a Kahler-style vibrato with a locking nut. Really strange feature for a hollow guitar.

I'll try to dig up some pics. Unfortunately, I don't have any of these anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar 2005 10:30 AM 
Black Magic, you say? I'd be very interested in getting my hands on one of these.. I've got a Manhattan and it's one of my favorite guitars, as I've got a thing for unsual/rare axes. Have you had any luck in digging up pictures?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 19 Mar 2005 06:05 PM 
I seena Quest bass at a yard sale this summer, I probably should have bought it. It was one of the nicest basses I have seen, and was obviously a Vantage. I don't think it was any kind of "lower end" instrument, it looked as if it had some pretty good craftsmanship.

Post subject: Quest Black Magic
PostPosted: Mon 28 Mar 2005 07:52 AM 
Found a Black Magic on eBay that had been sitting for many years. It is a matte black with red markings. It is missing a bridge saddle and has a ding on the back of the neck. Otherwise very good shape. I am in the process of cleaning it up. Not sure how to post pix here though.