The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 28 Mar 2024 11:49 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
PostPosted: Sun 07 Aug 2016 01:35 PM 
Axe Slinger

Hi chaps, I normally kick about on the Westone Forum under the name of Adey, and like Ned, I have recently bought a 1984 Vantage 33 TD for a good price (not the X version though I think). It does need a bit of a tidy though. Having throuble uploading pics at the moment as they seem to need resizing....

Anyway, there seems to be some debate about whether these were buit by Uncle Mats or not, and having had a look at mine, I am convinced they weren't, but were built at Chushin Gakki.

The thing that convinced me was the jack plug plate. The ones on the X Series are unusual die cast units, rather the usual pressed steel. I have only seen these on Azumi and Onyx guitars before (Chushin made). When I took off the unit to see if there was any info, there is a clear "Chushin" script on it.

If this means all the models in that catalogue are Chushin, I'm not sure, but the X Series most definately are, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun 07 Aug 2016 04:02 PM 
Virtuoso

G'day, Adey!! Nice to see a new face in here, eh!!

Yeah, mate; I reckon you're dead right as we had a discussion about an X-99 that passed through my hands....

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11481&start=10

... absolutely fabulously nailed together piece of kit that I eventually passed onto Don because I - like the silly chump I am - couldn't come to grips with it!

Chusin-gakki without a shadow of a doubt....

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug 2016 04:12 AM 
Axe Slinger

Yes, Chushin do seem to have produced some exceptionally well made instrucments, including some lovely Maya and El Maya models

and my Bambu!

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug 2016 04:27 AM 
Axe Slinger

Second go with pics

I quite like the 3-ply pick-guard with the red middle ply. It goes well with the red on the headstock (in my opinion).

It has a nice big block on the tremolo, which seems to be original. The saddles are a bit second rate though, being the pressed metal variety. I have ordered some nice stainless steel one to replace themwith , and some roller tees for the other end too...

Back of the scratch plate

I can't see any markings on the pick-ups and haven't done any meter readings yet either.

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug 2016 06:01 AM 
Virtuoso

Lots to like there, eh!! Not too sure about the clunky looking output jack - just because you can re-invent the wheel doesn't mean you should and the controls look very close to each other, but by and large, it's a looker. That colour is called graphite, I think, but flat black by any other name.... and yeah; that pickguard is classy.
Pleased to see that it has a normal bridge; that thing I had, had an orphan floating bridge with stringlocks!

So. How does it play? How does it sound? Stratty or ???

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug 2016 06:20 AM 
Axe Slinger

I quite like the jack. It is much nicer than a cheap pressed steel "strat" sort.

Soundwise.. Will have to wait till I get the new saddles on, as it only got a quick strum when it turned up, to make sure it worked. I don't recall the pick-ups being particularly powerful though.

Controls seem OK for spacing to me. They do have unusual "hifi type" knobs - plastic with a knurled rubber band around the top.

These are the same as on a Quest Atak 5 I have too, which has the same type of letter and numbers serial number as well, so I wonder if these were Chushin made too?

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug 2016 07:58 AM 
Virtuoso

The sound thing is interesting.... I found the X-99 didn't blow my skirt up at all without gratuitous gobs of FX being added but the Avenger AV 395 from the same catalogue has immense presence straight out of the amp....

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug 2016 02:47 PM 
Axe Slinger

I've got the Vantage back together and adjusted, and I would say it has that Strat type of sound to it, but as you said with the X99, the sound seems a bit bland.

Maybe that's just because I am mostly used to humbuckers, and mostly MMK45's or 75's, with a few Dimarzio Super D's thrown in...

I'll see how it goes for a bit, but it may go to someone at work who is looking for a first electric guitar.

PostPosted: Sun 14 Aug 2016 04:48 PM 
Virtuoso

Change the pickups... I made a good experience with a set of Fender Noiseless pickups (on a Fujigen made Strat copy).

Remark: it has to say "Noiseless" on the pickup... avoid them, if it says "N3".

PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep 2016 03:02 PM 
Axe Slinger

Just flogged it to a mate who wanted something for blues. It seemed to suit that style very well...

:)