The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Tue 14 May 2024 02:45 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: My VS-600R
PostPosted: Tue 25 Aug 2009 07:08 PM 
Power Chorder

Wow Barry, after looking at the shape you found your VS600 in I feel very fortunate to have mine in the condition its in. Even though I was a bit younger and foolish when I got it and I didn't pay a lot of money, I have always taken good care of it. It's strange what some people will do to a nice instrument!

PostPosted: Tue 25 Aug 2009 07:27 PM 
Virtuoso

Yeah, I almost didn't buy it, the previous owner was a whack job. It 's in really nice shape now though and looks 100% better, except for those hacked up fret ends which I'll get around to repairing soon. Great playing guitar!
Yeah, if you look around here much you'll see some real horror stories, check out some of Frenchy's posts for example. Fortunately, he has a lot of dedication and he is a whiz at restoring these poor mistreated axes, and in record time usually. And he's just one of the talented guys here. There's lots of expertise to tap into. I'm 64 and still learning stuff I should have known 40 years ago! :P

PostPosted: Tue 25 Aug 2009 08:23 PM 
Virtuoso

Thanks for the compliment Barry... Have to tell you, I have been learning from the board also. Racing has some great threads on how to polish up your guitar to look almost like new. I also bought some books to help with the restore jobs. One Book I would recommend is the "Guitar Player Repair Guide" it's from the guy that was writting all the colums in Guitar Player for the repairs ... Great read and lots of good tricks. I also know someone that builds guitars that was generous enough to explain tons of things to me....

Marcel, you said your wife was learning bass, is she using a short scale? Short scale would be easier for her.

And Barry, crazy Glu will take care of your problem on your neck.

P.

PostPosted: Tue 25 Aug 2009 09:50 PM 
Virtuoso

Frenchy wrote:
...And Barry, crazy Glu will take care of your problem on your neck.
Right. I've been experimenting a bit with the X-77 Avenger's neck marks but haven't got to the scraping and sanding yet. When I can get some uninterrupted time I'll be all over it! (And of course the body's a mess of scratches and dings too). The VS600 is on my hit list, along with some ding repairs on both Spectrums.

Then, if I get really ambitious...there's my chipped Danelectro which needs a whole different approach because of the acrylic(?) paint over masonite! :toopid:

Quote:
Racing has some great threads on how to polish up your guitar to look almost like new.
Yep! Racing is the king of beauty restoration! I'm still looking for a suitable low speed or variable speed electric buffer to do the polishing as he recommended. :look:

PostPosted: Tue 25 Aug 2009 10:30 PM 
Power Chorder

Frenchy wrote:
Marcel, you said your wife was learning bass, is she using a short scale? Short scale would be easier for her.

She has a standard scale bass, but isn't finding it too bad. I'll have to start looking for a VS600B under the premise that I'm really doing her a big favor...not just feeding a developing obsession for collecting Uncle Mat guitars :D

PostPosted: Wed 26 Aug 2009 02:47 AM 
Virtuoso

[quote="oldskoolz24" I'll have to start looking for a VS600B under the premise that I'm really doing her a big favor...not just feeding a developing obsession for collecting Uncle Mat guitars :D[/quote]

Ah, yes; the old "It's for you, dear!!" ... and in your case it may actually work!! :D

G.A.S. in a non-recoverable ailment, and we should really have a thread for our most outrageous statements to our partners as to why we 'need' this guitar... I mean my wife looks at my newest discovery and rolls her eyes :roll: and says 'No' automatically these days!! :rofl: And I'll just bet she ain't the only one in here!! (You fellas with understanding wives can all just go and bang yer heads on the wall for a while, OK?! :wink: ) :D

PostPosted: Wed 26 Aug 2009 07:18 AM 
Virtuoso

Corsair wrote:
I mean my wife looks at my newest discovery and rolls her eyes and says 'No' automatically these days!! And I'll just bet she ain't the only one in here!!

For a while, I was able to sneak my new babies in thru the garage.... :D Up until she realized that no more cars would fit in there.... :-? Then the $h!t hit the fan..... :lol:

I now decided to take it like a man.... (I bring them in when she is not home....) :rofl:

P. :D

PostPosted: Wed 26 Aug 2009 09:16 AM 
Virtuoso

Frenchy wrote:
...I now decided to take it like a man.... (I bring them in when she is not home....)
Um, what he said.
The only evidence that something's going on is the ever growing pile of guitar cases and gig bags behind the music room door! :blush:

PostPosted: Wed 26 Aug 2009 08:04 PM 
Virtuoso

oldskoolz24 wrote:
TSteve (numbfingers), you're very close by and you have the advantage of the usually stronger US dollar to poach our Canadian guitars. :D When you come out to Victoria, do you go through Vancouver or take the Coho from Port Angeles? After making a trip down to Auburn a month ago, I think I'll always go through Port Angeles from now on...no stupid Peace Arch border line ups and a nicer drive!Marcel

Neither! I can see (parts of) Victoria from here- it's about 30 miles across the water- but I can't get there easily. The Coho won't work because I first have to take a ferry to Port Townsend and then drive up to Port Angeles. The departure times don't fit together. BC Ferries are too far away and add the border crossing. In the summer there are two other options. Washington State Ferries has a car ferry from Anacortes to Sidney. Most of the time I'm a tourist and take a day trip on the passenger-only Victoria Star out of Bellingham. Takes me right downtown where I can eat junk food and buy cheesy souvenirs! A trip to Capital Iron and my mindless day is complete!

-Steve W.