The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Wed 15 May 2024 11:16 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Sat 30 Jan 2010 03:37 PM 
Virtuoso

That's what I expected ! Thanks Kees !

Vantage has changed logo & other specs between May and September 1980 ! (edited: in their adds!)
Look at the VA 800 pics: Feb: old logo version - add
Dec: introduction of the improved, "new" VA 800, new logo

Mr.Laine's VA 900 has got the new moon-bridge (Aug.'80)
In the May '80-add it's just been a "normal" bridge
(Later versions have the led light in another position)

Last edited by mozart on Sat 30 Jan 2010 06:54 PM, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jan 2010 03:47 PM 
Virtuoso

mozart wrote:
... Vantage has changed logo & other specs between May and September 1980 !

Don't jump to conclusions. I know from personal professional experience it will usually take some time for a pic of a new product to end up in an advertisement. More likely the change took place in the beginning of 1980 (very possibly even before May). The month is merely a rough indication ... One thing CAN be concluded: the new logo definately was there in August 1980.
The position of the LED is indeed different from all other variations I've seen sofar. That's what led me to believe he's holding an early (prototype?) version of the VA-900 here.

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jan 2010 04:40 PM 
Virtuoso

Yep, you're right man, I'm too fast in my conclusions°! :D
But if it brings the discussion a step further - jumping to fast or wrong conclusions is o.k. for me! :wink:

Quote:
GD K9 wrote: One thing CAN be concluded: the new logo definately was there in August 1980.

it's been there in May 1980!! (guitar player add)

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jan 2010 04:43 PM 
Axe Slinger

Nice mozart! I think we can agree that there probably are very few 1977's outside of Japan, and 1976 and older is completely out. In the US, the 1979 date of the US distributor would fit with when I started seeing them and bought my Ghost in December of that year, (small logo and squarish body routing, no visible serial unfortunately).

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jan 2010 06:35 PM 
Virtuoso

mozart wrote:

... that's from the December 1980 edition :-?

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jan 2010 06:47 PM 
Virtuoso

Quote:
GD K9 wrote:
mozart wrote:
... that's from the December 1980 edition

I've meant Frenchy's adds: Vantage page from guitar player magazine 5/1980

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5506&start=0#p32378

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jan 2010 06:57 PM 
Virtuoso

Mozart, you're right! All the other models in that ad have the old logo, but the pre-VA900 has the new one on the headstock! Guess that pinpoints the change around April 1980 then.

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jan 2010 08:14 PM 
Virtuoso

Trevor, you're the one that caused this pile of sh*t, where'r you at? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jan 2010 01:48 AM 
Virtuoso

Hi Folks,
I must say I am over the Moon with the directions this thread has taken & would like to thank everyone who has contributed their thoughts so far.
I hoped that once the veil of smoke was lifted from the old dating method that we would have a whole new perspective to look from, which certainly seems to be the case.
It definitely seems now that most of the perceived irregularities in the Vantage line that were previously put down to the Change without Notice cleashay, are indeed no more than evolutionary steps within the models.
The relatively low numbers of pre 1980 models around compared to the majority of post 1980 models has always been a catalyst for confusion.
I feel I have been in a very lucky position owning both Pre & post 1980 examples of many of the models we have been discussing here, which together with other information, most of which came from this site, painted a picture I could not ignore.
At least now we can move forward in the right direction.
Already from the new perspective it seems that the second number in the 5 digit serials does quite possibly seem to represent the evolutionary order in a particular model series, with 0 being the first production run & 1, 2 following.
Now that we have come this far, I firmly believe that some sort of serial number registry is needed to keep moving further forward.
Something as simple as a new thread were we all just list model number, serial, any peculiarities such as old or new logo, 24 or 22 frets and anything that seems to deviate from the norm.
Another possibility maybe a serial number thread for specific models with the same criteria as above.
To stop the threads from taking up to much space, a mod could possibly periodically trim the threads by adding all of the numbers into the first post.
I have been involved in this type of posts in some automotive forums which I am a member & it seems to work well.
I would favor this public displaying of numbers over 1 or 2 collecting & collating them as the more visible they are, the more many sharp minds can possibly notice irregularities & patterns forming.
What do you guys think any ideas on this?
Cheers,
Trevor.

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jan 2010 01:58 AM 
Virtuoso

GD K9 wrote:
Don't jump to conclusions. I know from personal professional experience it will usually take some time for a pic of a new product to end up in an advertisement.

I agree with Kees totally on this, all still seems to point to the start of 1980 for the big change over.
As others have said ,the adds with old & or mixed with new logo's would probably have been edited & used untill new ones containing new models were produced,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next