The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Tue 14 May 2024 04:07 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Aussie Invader...
PostPosted: Tue 02 Feb 2010 07:11 PM 
Virtuoso

Corsair wrote:
..my wife loved it, which is a rare occurrence!!
I believe that's one of the signs of the Apocalypse. Start hoarding bottled water. :sick:

PostPosted: Tue 02 Feb 2010 10:28 PM 
Virtuoso

I'll be sure to tell her that from you, mate!! :D :D

OK, back to the Invader: impressions are of a very heavy, beautifully finished guitar which sits nicely when playing sitting down. Lovely neck, which according to the specs is a graphite one: certainly the screw holes aren't 'woody' looking.... Measurements forthcoming when I get my gear back!! :)
The nut looks like a bone one to me; slightly odd - I'd've thought a brass one given that the overriding colourway of red and gold.
Standard V/T/T controls with pull up split and phase reverse; has those knurled brass knobs which are press on with no grubb screw.
Playing standing up is an odd proposition as it has a tendency to fall away from the player where the top bout would be; an elbow on the rear wing keeps it sitting straight, and once you've got used to the odd feeling, it plays beautifully. I've set it up to my liking with Dean markley Blue Steel heavys and it really is easy to play.
This is all done with no amp; you'll have to wait till we get to Europe and I get an amp for a sound report, eh!! :lol:
Finally, I like it and have done for ages; it's a cool guitar that is a step outside the box for Vantage - it looks like it should be in the APII catalogue with the XX,ZZ and Urchin, or lumped in with the Westone/Electra pointies!
Because Lucy likes it,it will be a wall guitar able to be taken down and played; how cool's that!!?? :up: :D

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb 2010 03:33 AM 
Virtuoso

seems your wife loves those who are a step outside the box, unique, and with some edges... :D

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb 2010 09:20 AM 
Virtuoso

:shutup: :rofl:

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb 2010 09:40 AM 
Virtuoso

mozart wrote:
seems your wife loves those who are a step outside the box...
Hmm, pointy guitar, glitter, glamour, long hair...can spandex and head bands be far behind? :lmfao:

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb 2010 06:11 PM 
Virtuoso

Barry wrote:
Hmm, pointy guitar, glitter, glamour, long hair...can spandex and head bands be far behind? :lmfao:

Oh, god, no!! Not when I'd look like 10lb of sausages in a 5lb bag, mate!!! :D Cut the ponytail off 2 years ago - I wasn't one of those elegant 48 yr olds who looked good, eh - and as for glamour, well....

Quote:
unique, and with loadsa edges...

...perhaps says it all!! :rofl:

PostPosted: Fri 23 May 2014 08:47 PM 
Virtuoso

OK... I was bored and thought I might have a look at the Invader which has sat in its case for longer than I care to admit so out it comes and .... to no-ones surprise but my own it is filthy. Frets are green with verdigris, fretboard is just nasty and the body doesn't so much gleam as absorb all incoming light because it's so covered in fingermarks and general crud.

In my defense, I'm sure the last time I played it was in the middle of summer, with all the sweating and stuff that the local climate induces.... :roll:

Anyway, I tore into it with all manner of cleaning gear including copious amounts of elbow grease and it now looks lovely, if a lot pointy! A new set of strings - D'Addario EXL-115Ws; I've changed to these from my custom Ernie Ball set simply because I couldn't get the new EB set I wanted for less than a kings ransom here in Australia and a number of direct sale by internet companies told me that discount shipping from the US isn't allowed by EB, wankers! - and we're good to go! (I've gotta have a wound 3rd!!)

I then spent some time having a decent play with it and gee; what a monstrous noise it makes, no doubt due to the extremely heavy body - possibly mahogany?? - it'll sustain for ages and the MMK 45 at the neck loses absolutely nothing to the SD at the bridge; nothing at all!!
I found to my surprise that the pull pots on the two lower control knobs are individual coil splits; one for the neck and one for the bridge; no phase reverse as I'd previously assumed!

I managed to get very good similes of the Shadows stratty sound and the twangy, trebly Tele sound by judicious use of the tone controls and applications of gobs of reverb and echo, but it is in humbucking mode that this thing kills; engage them while in sensitive singer/songwriter mode, with a little chorus and other lovely, flowery sounds and it is a lovely sweet noise that'd make James Taylor search out a darkened room with a box of tissues but discard the sounds of summer and engage "kill everything" mode - overdrive or distortion, your pick - and boy, oh, boy; Here we go!! Just sublime screams, whoops, dips and dives and all quite manageable with very little tendency to devolve into feedback squealiness; who knew that it was capable of such things?! A bridge better suited to that style of playing than the standard strat-style would be highly advantageous, but you can't have everything!!

It is not at all awkward to play either on the strap or on your knee but does tend to fall away from your body a little on the strap; not unmanageable or even uncomfortable, just a fact of life if you're used to standard body guitars.

It's a very, very capable machine and I like it a lot... it made the Spectrum GT that I picked up next - no slouch itself! - seem a little staid and boring!!