The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 18 Apr 2024 01:32 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Vantage VA 800
PostPosted: Sun 01 Jan 2012 06:41 PM 
Gallery Friend

Hi All,
I'm new here.... I found this forum and this thread because I was trying to find some information on my good old VA800.
This is all very interesting and I really like and appreciate that everyone here is making such an effort.

So, here's my little contribution: (I don't know if it is of any value at all, but maybe someone, somewhere is keeping a list of serial numbers :wink: ):
I have EXACTLY the same model as Richard. I bought it brand new in a music store in Hamburg in hmmm, 82 or 83 (my first electric!!),
and it has the serial number 80451

Happy new year, everybody...

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jan 2012 07:18 PM 
Virtuoso

Hi there Neune, and welcome to the board. :) Mozart (in Austria) is keeping track (and lately supplies most) of all Vantage information that comes in, I'm sure he'll take note of the remarks you make about your VA800 Phantom. I myself haven't been able to grab a 22-fret Phantom yet (got a few 24-fret versions, and even a 22-fret Cort made copy of your Phantom though). The fact that you got yours in Hamburg is giving me hope I'll stumble upon one in the near future. Although money is tight these days, I don't think I could live much longer without one :lol:
If you could supply us with some detailed pics, that would be very helpful. There have been minor changes to the model in time, and pics would help to clear some things up.
As you might have read in this thread, I have this article from the British magazine on the VA800. If you like, I could email it to you too.

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan 2012 01:39 PM 
Gallery Friend

Hi GD K9,
thanks for the warm welcome. Yes, I've seen the article that you posted and I'd LOVE to get it by mail to be able to read it.
I have taken some pics.... hope they are helpful.
Here's the front:
Attachment:
IMG_0526.JPG
IMG_0526.JPG [ 77.62 KiB | Viewed 547 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0527.JPG
IMG_0527.JPG [ 44.12 KiB | Viewed 547 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0528.JPG
IMG_0528.JPG [ 65 KiB | Viewed 547 times ]

Best, Neune

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan 2012 01:40 PM 
Gallery Friend

And here's the back (maximum attachments per post is 3...)
Attachment:
IMG_0531.JPG
IMG_0531.JPG [ 62.7 KiB | Viewed 547 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0530.JPG
IMG_0530.JPG [ 70.29 KiB | Viewed 547 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0529.JPG
IMG_0529.JPG [ 44.46 KiB | Viewed 547 times ]

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan 2012 01:48 PM 
Virtuoso

That is nice! I am having to deal with the opposite of egas as I am moving. That doesn't stop me from lusting after a nice neck through Matt though.

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan 2012 03:37 PM 
Virtuoso

That is a very early ('79/'80) model. Gorgeous grains! :love: ... and looks to be in very good condition. Even still has the 'made in japan'-sticker. Beautiful! I'll dig up the scans of the article an email them to you later tonight. :up:

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan 2012 04:47 PM 
Virtuoso

Hi Neune! Welcome!

I go with GDK9: early (first series) '79/'80 Vantage Artist 800
From the momentary knowledge I'm leaning towards 1979 (the 80... in the serial no. is for the model!)
Pretty rare here in Europe, out of the following reason:
Vantage is a Canadian brand. JAM industries/Ericson music has contracted the Matsumoku company/JAP to produce guitars under the VANTAGE label in 1978. The first VANTAGE guitars are probably from 1979
(like your guitar)
But Vantage guitars haven't been available in Europe before 1980!!
German start: 1980, with PAISTE/Hamburg as distributor.
That's why the 1981/82 24frets VA800 successor model seems to be more spreaded on this side of the water!

Nice guitar! :love:
Thanks for the pics!

Johann

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan 2012 12:44 PM 
Gallery Friend

I just found this forum and thought I'd share a pic of my Artist 800. I'm the original owner, and have always loved the guitar. I have over 30 instruments in my collection now, but I can't say any of them play/sound better than the Vantage. They're all different, to be sure, but not necessarily better. Btw, the shine on the finish was something I did almost immediately after acquiring the guitar. I was a budding luthier back then (and still learning today), but I knew how to wet-sand and buff out a finish. The SN of the guitar is 80126, and I wish I could tel you the exact year I bought it but I can't remember. I can tell you it came from Zeswitz Music Store in Reading, PA. Sorry I don't have more pix, but the guitar is currently disassembled for restoration. I couldn't stand looking at that thick, nasty plastic finish anymore, plus there were some fairly serious dings and scratches, so I got out the heat gun and stripped that junk off. I'll put a nice nitro or acrylic lacquer finish on there and she'll look prettier than ever.

One more thing - another of my top "go-to" guitars is a cheap Ibanez Artist 250. Absolutely great guitar for the money. Must be something about naming a guitar "Artist".

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22677084/Vantage.JPG

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan 2012 01:45 PM 
Virtuoso

Hi Mr. Sparkle, and welcome :)
What's the second mini toggle for?

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan 2012 02:42 PM 
Gallery Friend

Quote:
What's the second mini toggle for?

I wanted individual coil taps for each pickup. That guitar has had so many mods done to it over the years, I've lost count. That's why it's down for a full restoration. At one point I'd even equipped it with active electronics. I designed and built a small PCB with preamp and active (boost/cut) bass and treble tone controls. You might also notice one other visible mod, below the toggles and between the upper knobs. It's a small LED that I put in to indicate battery status.

I fortunately still have all the original parts, and aside from filling the small hole left by the LED (and, of course the second toggle which I'll keep) I can put it back to original condition...just with a much better finish :)

Thanks for the welcome. I'm glad to be here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next