The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 18 Apr 2024 11:48 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug 2003 03:48 PM 
judging by the serial number, the vantage vp series that i bought last week is a vp800 something. 800 or 805. the serial number is 006243. but its active. ive been trying to figure out the settings to get the perfect tone, so here it goes. pickup selector is all the way down. thats either both pickups or the neck pickup. i think it might be both pickups though, judging by the tone. use the picture of the vp820 that is up on the vantage page for a guide. mine looks almost exactly like it. the knob closest to the bridge pickup is the main volume. i have that cranked up all the way. the middle knob is tone. thats dead center. ill get to the last knob in a second. the three selectors are booster switches i think, but someone said they switch between single coil and humbucker. if anyone knows for sure, please give a holler. but as for the switches. the one closest to the pickups is on (towards the headstock). the middle one is off, and the last one (farthest from pickups) is on. now the last knob only works when the last switch is on. it serves as a second volume knob. i have that a little more then halfway up. i get some sweet acoustic-esque sounds out of it. with my boss ds-1 (pretty decent distortion pedal if i do say so myself) i get some bada** distortion out of it witht he level half up the distortion half up and the tone about 5/8's up. i gotta toy with delay and the wah and flanger still. but there's something for anyone whos looking for good tone out of a vp with active eq/boost (whatever it is exactly only the manufacturer probably knows) if anyone has tips on settings, then give a holler. im still playing this one. alright, merry christmas to all and to all a good afternoon.
joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug 2003 05:27 PM 
Virtuoso

If you want to know how your guitar is wired (without opening it) you can try the following:
Crank the volume of your amplifier and tap on each of the four coils. it should be easy to find out if the small switches are for coil-tap and how the pickup selector switch works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug 2003 11:11 PM 
by coil tap i assume you mean switching between singlecoil and humbucker??? ima try that now. thanks..................................
YAYY!!! i know what the switches do. (i just tried.) thanks a bunch. they switch between humbucker and single coil. and all the way down is the neck pickup. the middle is both, and up is the bridge pickup. k. thanks again.

Post subject: VP active
PostPosted: Tue 20 Jan 2004 05:50 AM 
I also have a axe that sounds very similar to yours Serial # 005050. Any insights you can offer would be much appreciated.

Dave[/i][/code]