The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Thu 28 Mar 2024 11:45 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
PostPosted: Tue 10 Dec 2013 01:43 PM 
Virtuoso

Here is what I can tell you. Vantage was in importer from Canada. At least some were sold in the US as well as Europe and New Zealand. They designed guitars and had them built to spec by factories. Up until 1987, most, but not all were made by Matsumoku of Japan. It is believed that some of Avenger models may have been made elsewhere, particularly towards the end of the Uncle Matt era. Later guitars were made in Kora and then who knows. The Korean models are generally less sought after than the Japanese ones.

Your guitar is not labeled on the neck plate as being a Matsumoku product. This is hardly definitive. The construction looks to be high quality so if it wasn't a Matt it was from an equivalent builder. The X series does not get the respect they deserve. The Westone Pantera series which are close in design to your guitar tend to go for anywhere from $250 on up.

PostPosted: Tue 10 Dec 2013 02:26 PM 
Power Chorder

Thanks for that :-) I live in England now, and the people I've shown it to don't seem to recognise it. They fall in love with it when they play it though! As I said a couple of years ago, it is certainly not ever going to be for sale (I've had some crazy offers, omg) as it has some sentimental history attached on top of being a great guitar to play. I hope to keep learning about this guitar - that's been half the fun!

PostPosted: Tue 10 Dec 2013 04:57 PM 
Virtuoso

Hi, Arkygeek!

further Infos:
I5xxxxx = September 1985
Late '84 there've been big changes in the VANTAGE lineup: new Serial number System, "Omega" pickups instead of MMKs, etc.
This makes me think that JAM Industries has changed the manufacturer in 1984. Still Japan, but not Matsumoku, probably Chushin. But this is only my personal guess.....

1984/85 catalog: http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4985

Stack Music (Bexhill, East Sussex) has been the importer of the VANTAGE brand in England (1980 - ???)

Thanx for the pics. Well documentated!

J.

PostPosted: Wed 25 Dec 2013 09:51 AM 
Gallery Friend

A lot of Parts, Body, Neck, Mechanic are from Vantage, but someone has ghanged a lot on that Guitar. I've never seen that Humbucker on a Vantage and the Tremolo seems to be changed to, as well the Nut is badly made. Some kind of Homework? My X35 looks similar and believe, it Plays great and the Sound is awesome. Love it, Play it, have fun.

Vantage FV575 (sold)
Vantage Ghost
Vantage Avenger X-35
Vantage VSH 445

PostPosted: Wed 25 Dec 2013 12:42 PM 
Virtuoso

Hi suedpolgang, the models you've listed in your signature were made somewhere in between 1979 - 1984.
The 1984/85 Vantage line brought some significant changes! Including new pickups (Omega) and trems!!!
Pickups and Hardware of Arkygeek's guitar look all original to me!
:wink:

PostPosted: Thu 26 Dec 2013 08:48 AM 
Gallery Friend

Such many changes? Are they better in Sound and handling, cause the Neck was still the same? The Body has changed a little bit to. The Changes on the Nut seem not professional made and thats the reason why I cant believe that everything is original?

Im ready to learn. Thanks a lot.

Merry Chrismas

Vantage FV575 (sold)
Vantage Ghost
Vantage Avenger X-35
Vantage VSH 445

PostPosted: Sat 28 Dec 2013 08:28 PM 
Power Chorder

Everything (other than the strings) is original on this guitar. It's really hard to find any info about this model though!

PostPosted: Wed 27 Aug 2014 11:45 PM 
Gallery Friend

I have an 86 (E6 serial number). It looks like the the metallic gray (or silver) on first listed, except it has an on/off/on toggle switch for each pickup. It has the omega pickups, right now I am experimenting with others. The bridge is like the bendmaster with fine tuner version that westone used. It had a string lock on it, but it was not all there (and different from the ones in the picture). The keys were gotoh and didn't have the V on them - but they looked stock. In fact, the guitar looked entirely stock. Some say it was a Korean model. They date seems to lean toward Japanese/matsumoku. It looks almost exactly like a model 38 TD-X - just it does not have that 5-way. Tom Presley seemed to think it may have been a transition model - made with some parts from Matsumoku, and others possibly in Korea. But I don't know for certain. Can't find another exactly like it - with that switching configuration.

Note, I changed the bridge pickup in this picture. I posted about it in the non-matsumoku Vantage area first because I simply didn't know what it was (and still don't).

Here is the pic so you can compare to these:

PostPosted: Mon 26 Apr 2021 10:18 AM 
Prospective Member

Hi,

Same here, 86 I think (E6).

Any info on it?

Thanks,

/F