The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Mon 13 May 2024 03:55 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct 2011 01:41 AM 
Gallery Friend

G'Day everyone,

I'm new on this forum, just discovered it a few days ago... Simply awesome!

I need help. I just bought a Vantage guitar over the week-end and I'm trying to figure out which Avenger model it is. I've been browsing the forum and couldn't figure it out. All I know is that it's an Avenger... Possibly a av-325? It's got string throught body, chrome bridge, and double covered pick up.
The neck plate says made in Japan. Number: 1400069. I'm not sure if the first number is a capital i or a 1... Looks like a capital i.
If any of you Guru's could help me identify and date it it would be great! I'd like to find out the specs for it.

Another newby question... The metal pieces where the holes for the strings are on the back of the guitar are sitting out of the body a bit. They are all at a different height. Should I try to tap them in or this is the way it should be ? I'm planning to change the strings so I could do it at the same time.

Here's some photos and thanks for your help!

Attachment:
Vantage-Front2.jpg
Vantage-Front2.jpg [ 61.07 KiB | Viewed 730 times ]

Attachment:
Vantage-Front1.jpg
Vantage-Front1.jpg [ 86.1 KiB | Viewed 730 times ]

Attachment:
Vantage_Back.jpg
Vantage_Back.jpg [ 63.31 KiB | Viewed 730 times ]

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct 2011 03:44 AM 
Virtuoso

Hello LeCouz, welcome to the Forum :) . Your guess was correct. In my opinion, yours is a 1984 Avenger AV325. One of the last 'old' Avengers, featuring some details of the 'new Avengers'. I'm assuming the first character is indeed an 'I', and the first number (4) indicates '84. The covered PU's were introduced around that time, so they could very well be the original ones.

The metal ferrules normally all have the same height, slightly sticking out above the surface of the body.

Kees.

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct 2011 10:36 AM 
Virtuoso

Hello LeCouz, welcome here!

It's an Avenger! I don't dare to say more

It's not a guitar from the late '84 catalog. If 1984, it must be an early '84 therefore ("old" Avenger).
But guitars from that time didn't have letter-prefixes in their serials! As far as I know, capital-prefixes came up not before 1985.
So if this is not a modded (Bridge + pups) old Avenger, it might be a post catalog 4 "New Avenger" model from 1985 or 1986 with unknown name! (Probably AV 325 like it's predecessors)

just my three cents :wink:
More and better pics could help! :)

J.

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct 2011 08:33 PM 
Virtuoso

Location: Grand Absurdity, VA, temporary refuge of the Hollywood Avenger
What they said, I'm thinking is a transition model with some rare aspects (covered pickups, skunk-stripe neck, 22 frets with what appears to be a bullet truss rod, string-through on a 22-fret non-pickguard guitar, etc.) except I have seen Avengers with different/assorted style/size ferrules on the guitar from the factory.

Clear pics of headstock, neck plate, bridge and underside of a pickup would help nail things down. Nice guitar, no matter what. Lots of potential there.

Does it have push/pull coil tap switches on the tone knobs?

je

1981 AV-320
1981 AV-320
1981 AV-325
1982 AV-320
1982 VS-695-12
1982 VSH-445
1983 AV-330
1995 VST 33 CE TBK

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct 2011 03:00 AM 
Gallery Friend

Thanks a lot guys!

Here's the photo's requested... Neckplate, pickups and bridge as well as the headstock.
There is only a japanese sign under the pickups. Anyone knows anything about them? Are they any good?
The guitar does have push/pull coil taps on the tone knobs.
So around 84 it seems...
Anyway, it's in good nick for a 25+ year old guitar, sounds good to!

Thanks again and rock on!!!

Attachment:
Vantage_head.jpg
Vantage_head.jpg [ 56.08 KiB | Viewed 690 times ]

Attachment:
Pickups.jpg
Pickups.jpg [ 97.55 KiB | Viewed 690 times ]

Attachment:
Neck plate.jpg
Neck plate.jpg [ 67.21 KiB | Viewed 690 times ]

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct 2011 08:57 AM 
Virtuoso

Yes, an odd model to be sure. At the core it "feels" most like an AV325, but the pups and bridge are definitely out of place. However, that bridge does look like similar ones I've seen on other Mats guitars (Cardinal??).
The pups also look vaguely familiar but maybe from a later production Mats?

The early Westone serial numbers used a letter prefix to denote the month of production (so, I=Sept). We've speculated before that it is likely that the same was done on other Mats-built guitars. But as Mozart says, this was used on early models (1980-81) and not seen later, so who knows why it's showing up on a mid-80's model?

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct 2011 10:10 AM 
Virtuoso

My guess is 1986! (Sept ' 86 from the ser. no.)
But that's more a feeling than any knowledge. :D

We don't have enough information on the capital-prefix ser.nos! :evil:
We don't even have high resolution scans of the late ' 84 catalog!! :evil: :evil:
The late 84 - Feb.87 models are still mysterious..... :eek2:

Maybe Frenchy can shed some light on this guitar. He owns a Vantage guitar, or two!

J.