The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sat 27 Apr 2024 10:52 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov 2011 03:00 AM 
Virtuoso

vp820fan wrote:
Quote:
I still have the VA912

I'm surprised no one from here has made him an offer for this yet... :)

TC

Email sent :-D

Just kidding, I already have 1 so have no real need for another apart from just to show off :P
Mind you I did make an offer on the one that K9 got. Got outbid by $5

Barry wrote:
Thanks for digging that up Johann! Very educational.
As for being a class act, well, yeah...Canadian, eh? :up: Image

Thanks from me as well :up: :up:
Corsair wrote:
So humbled!! :oops: Yes, indeed... go you good thing! :up:

+ 1

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov 2011 04:41 AM 
Virtuoso

I've got a feeling... :D ...that I will get some catalogs soon..... :wink:

GO CANADA GO! (sixteen "Canadian" guitars in my music room! My adress is: maple street 20! Think I need to get me four more... :lol: )

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov 2011 04:49 PM 
Virtuoso

While everyone is gushing about Mr Patrick's participation in uncovering this old Vantage info, and what a class act JAM Industries/Erikson music is, I can tell you that my recent experience with JAM Industries was not so positive.

I very recently purchased a 'brand new old stock' 2008 Washburn from an 'authorized' Washburn dealer in the US., via EBay. I am in Canada.

The guitar arrived requiring service - the tremolo arm assembly was so loose it required removing the Floyd Rose unit from the guitar completely, tightening the allen screw that holds the arm, then a complete re-setup. Nothing that a novice couldn't have fixed, except the routed cavity in the back of the guitar does NOT include access to the tremolo arm. The guitar HAD to be disassembled.

Short story long... Washburn's/JAM's warranty solution is to send the guitar back to the east coast (on my dime) have the Floyd removed and the allen screw tightened (for FREE) and then ship the guitar back to Alberta (on my dime). The rationale? The guitar was purchased from a US dealer - therefore, its warranty is void. In my case, the shipping for service (to and fro) would dwarf the price I paid for the guitar.

That is Washburn/JAM/Erikson's policy, which I have yet to see in print ANYWHERE, including via dealers who are selling Washburn stock across borders. Nor is this DETAIL mentioned anywhere on Washburn's site.

That is a warranty 'policy' that was obviously written before the invention of online shopping.

Further to this, there are several 'authorized' Washburn dealers, right here in town that COULD have easily handled my service/warranty request with NO shipping involved.

Mr. Patrick would hear none of this solution. Period. It is just not their POLICY. Lesson learned. Helpful? Hardly.

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov 2011 05:27 PM 
Virtuoso

Hmmm.... Not encouraging, really. I wonder what the story is with that?

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov 2011 07:21 PM 
Virtuoso

Normally, when you buy something, especially something that is sold as "new", and it turns out to be defective you return it to the dealer for either a refund or repair. Did you try that? If the seller won't give you satisfaction, you can complain to eBay, Paypal and/or the American distributor (from whom, presumably, the dealer obtained the defective guitar. I don't see how the Canadian distributor is any more responsible than, say, the Bulgarian distributor.

There are advantages to buying locally.

Anyway, I hope you can get this resolved. I hate to see anyone get burned.

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov 2011 08:48 PM 
Virtuoso

The Canadian 'distributor' is supposed to be my liason for 'local authorized service support' in instances like this.
Erikson Music is a division of JAM Industries. JAM is a Canadian company that OWNS Washburn.

The guitar is NOS - there are no more. And you can't buy it locally if it isn't in stock!

The solution should be simple, take it to a local authorized dealer for repair. Erikson refused to honor the warranty because the authorized dealer I purchased from is in the Unites States. And with that, a local Washburn shop loses out on the service revenue too. Because at that point, I am gonna take it to who ever can repair it quickly and affordably.

NO service dollars for Washburn or their dealer.

Washburn says 'call Erikson', Erikson says 'call the dealer'. The dealer actually sent me some stuff (strings etc.) to soften the blow and act in good faith.

Perhaps Washburn shouldn't be trying to sell like its 2011(meaning online and international), with a warranty policy written in 1975.

End of rant... back to the Vantages.
cheers

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov 2011 11:31 PM 
Virtuoso

I know a guy in Medicine Hat if you need service. I believe he's a member here as well. :cheers: