The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Mon 20 May 2024 05:41 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar 2012 04:58 AM 
Virtuoso

Hey up, y'all.... I was contacted via the PM service by an Australian with the following tale of woe... I post it here both as a reminder that not all people have pure motives, and in case any of our Aussies/kiwis can shed any light....

To whit...

Hi John, thanks for your prompt reply.

My name is Robert, and live in Adelaide, South Australia. I read your blog and looked at the pics of the Vantage VA900 Electric Guitar

and am glad to know you have enjoyed and looked after this wonderful instrument. I note that you bought it in Australia, in 1980 you say.

I am very interested to know exactly what date - if possible - and from whom you bought it from and how much you paid.

When I was 16 I bought my first 'real' guitar for $600 (with $300 I saved from 6 months working on paper rounds - my mum made up the rest.)

I bought it from Allans in Adelaide. This guitar was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen and heard and felt and smelt and played!

I had craved for years to own a decent guitar as I took to playing guitar when I was about 8 but my parents could not afford

any better than a $9.00 Kmart acoustic for my 11th Birthday.

I finally joined my first band in 1980/81 and had just played my third gig ever (a free Birthday party)

when my guitar was stolen from the boot of my car as we were packing up.

I'm almost certain it was from an uninvited guest who asked me about my guitar and wanted to play it on stage - I can't believe I let him.

After the gig this guy disappeared along with my treasured guitar as well as the blue Korg Electronic Tuner which was in the Guitar case.

I immediately reported to Police but they couldn't do anything. I was absolutely devastated and the pain of my loss has NEVER gone away.

(I'm sure there are many stories like this).

I recently had the idea to search for it online, and found it almost immediately.

Over the years I've searched Guitar shops, pawn shops, asked around, laid eyes on many VA900's and knew what I was looking for.

This Vantage VA900 that you now possess. I am 99.99% sure IS that very guitar. (0.01% there's another grain pattern identical???)

I instantly recognised the unique grain pattern.

Identifying features I remember:

Did it per chance come with a blue Korg Tuner?
I never forgotten the unique Grain pattern and instantly recognised it
"R L" or full name and/or phone number "3629815" inside plastic back plate or on edge of timber wall in main compartment
also possibly "R L" scratched on end of a tuning peg
A small 'cut' on topside of neck about fret 3 - 4
Sorry to freak you out John, this is not a prank or a joke.
Take your time if you need to think about this. I eagerly await your response and any questions you may have.

Sincerely, Robert.

Needless to say, mine is not Roberts guitar, but it might have been, and good on him for contacting me, and also for keeping the flame burning after all this time!!

I wish the best of luck... :up:

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar 2012 05:26 AM 
Virtuoso

Yeah.
We just recently had a BnE at the shop where amongst other guitars one of Oscars LS-800s was stolen together with the PS-150 DC that´s in members treasures. One thing is the burglar...what i fail to take to heart though are the ones buying this stuff.

...n TBH...if i happen to run into whoever it is that knocked on my door and decided to enter when i wasn´t around....he´s better wear some sort of ID...for his next of kins sake..

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar 2012 06:08 AM 
Virtuoso

Always good to write down the serial number of your guitar(s)!
(I don't think you can recognize a guitar by the wood grain after more than 30 years!)

A mate from Vienna was lucky to find his expensive PRS guitars in Poland, some months after they were stolen out of his car (in Vienna).
They were offered by a music store in Warsaw!
He could legitimate his ownership by pics and serial numbers, and got them back.

After that I started to write a list on my own (with more than 30 numbers..... :D )

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar 2012 08:09 AM 
Virtuoso

Wow... What a story...

I feel real bad for the guy. I find myself lucky since the only thing stolen from me was adapters, lead wires, microphones and a couple of pedals... Still not happy about it but its nothing compared to this guy VA900 or Jesper and Oscar's guitars... :o That guy even let the bast23456 play with it before he stole it from him... :x

Yep... I would hunt it down also.... :x Hell, it would be my Super Headless bass that would disappear from a gig :o and it is quite different compared to a stock one...

Mozart has the right Idea with the serial #... I also have a complete list of all my guitars and basses plus a library of pictures of each... this site has helped me build that... :wink: Nothing comes in without getting cleaned, set up and fully documented with pictures and serial #.... I actually have it on a DVD at a different location if ever fire hazard would happen :shudder: ...

Hope you guy's find them someday...

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar 2012 08:22 AM 
Virtuoso

Racing wrote:
One thing is the burglar...what i fail to take to heart though are the ones buying this stuff.

I hear you on that...

I bought a bass about 7-8 years ago from a shaddy person... it came from a local add and pictures were on the add... but never understood why I got it so cheap...This was a custom neckthru bass from a new manufacturer here in Montreal.... The bass serial number was also sanded off :-? I only noticed after I got it...

After talking about it with fellow musicians, I sent about 4 emails with pictures to that mentioned manufacturer and asked if any records of sales were kept or anything stolen reported and never got an answer from any.... Talk about customer service.... :down:

I still have the bass but I know some story is behind it... the price I paid for it just does not compute... :no:

I would not have gotten it if I had realized the serial was sanded off and the guy could not show prof of ownership... So... like me.. someone can buy a stolen instrument without knowing it.... No certain mine was stolen but a sanded Serial number kind makes it so .... I look for these things now...

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar 2012 08:32 AM 
Virtuoso

Frenchy wrote:
...Mozart has the right Idea with the serial #... I also have a complete list of all my guitars and basses plus a library of pictures of each... this site has helped me build that... :wink: Nothing comes in without getting cleaned, set up and fully documented with pictures and serial #... I actually have it on a DVD at a different location if ever fire hazard would happen :shudder: ...
+1 to that Pierre. I only have 26 guitars, a handful of which are worth any significant money, but if I was ever burglarized I would be beside myself with anger and grief. You just cannot put a price on your time and emotional investment, and the visual and playing pleasure they give.

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar 2012 06:26 PM 
Virtuoso

+1 to all...

I've just had my wallet pinched from my car, and while all it held was plastic, there were also pix of my kids taken years ago and the sense of violation even with a trifling event like this is stunning! The bastards got away with my Schrade Tool as well, which has been my trusted companion for 11 years...

I catch them, I'll probably do some time.... :x

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar 2012 06:38 PM 
Virtuoso

Sorry to hear that John. Hope the bastids burn in heck! :x

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar 2012 06:32 AM 
Virtuoso

Barry wrote:
Sorry to hear that John. Hope the bastids burn in heck! :x

I don't; I hope they get seven shades of sh1t kicked out of them while on this plane of existence! :evil:

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar 2012 07:29 AM 
Virtuoso

Corsair wrote:
Barry wrote:Sorry to hear that John. Hope the bastids burn in heck! :x

I don't; I hope they get seven shades of sh1t kicked out of them while on this plane of existence! :evil:

I would feel the same way... :x