The Guitar Gallery Forums - The Guitar Legacy of Matsumoku

Q&A, discussion, and information for the labels covered by The Guitar Gallery (Specifically and exclusively guitars made by Matsumoku up to 1987)
It is currently Sun 05 Dec 2021 12:21 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Avenger.....
PostPosted: Fri 16 Aug 2013 09:43 PM 
Offline
Virtuoso
User avatar

Joined: Wed 29 Apr 2009 12:32 PM
Posts: 3516
Location: St. Catharines, Ontario Canada
Corsair wrote:
Yeah, I think you're right, but getting the Vantage dust overs off without damaging them s the neat trick that I don't know!!
You lost me John. Are the posts 'sloppy' (vertically) or the actual knobs themselves (horizontally)? If it's the knobs, I think Nevin is referring to the little 'crush washer' on the shaft, usually a white plastic thingy. No need to touch the dust covers matey.

_________________
G U I T A R S : http://legend.barryeames.com/guitars.html
M U S I C / P I X / V I D E O S : http://getback.barryeames.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Avenger.....
PostPosted: Sat 17 Aug 2013 01:43 AM 
Offline
Virtuoso
User avatar

Joined: Wed 05 Jul 2006 03:40 PM
Posts: 2594
Location: Mount Hunter, NSW, Australia.
No; it's inside the gear housing where the slop is and I remember Jesper saying that replacing the plastic washer inside was do-able once the dust cover had been prised off carefully.

I lack the bottle to attack the pristine dust covers with the requisite sharp, pointy thing...

_________________
FWIW, an after market esoteric nut is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, and a great way to convert your money into someone else’s.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Avenger.....
PostPosted: Sat 17 Aug 2013 10:33 AM 
Offline
Virtuoso
User avatar

Joined: Wed 29 Apr 2009 12:32 PM
Posts: 3516
Location: St. Catharines, Ontario Canada
Hmm, that's a new one on me. :unsure:

_________________
G U I T A R S : http://legend.barryeames.com/guitars.html
M U S I C / P I X / V I D E O S : http://getback.barryeames.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Avenger.....
PostPosted: Sat 17 Aug 2013 08:41 PM 
Offline
Virtuoso
User avatar

Joined: Sun 12 Sep 2004 04:02 PM
Posts: 2105
Location: Grand Absurdity, VA, temporary refuge of the Hollywood Avenger
A pair of graphite string trees would be another move I'd make...

je

_________________
...doing bad things to good Vantages since 1985...

1981 AV-320
1981 AV-320
1981 AV-325
1982 AV-320
1982 VS-695-12
1982 VSH-445
1983 AV-330
1995 VST 33 CE TBK


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Avenger.....
PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013 12:38 AM 
Offline
Virtuoso
User avatar

Joined: Wed 05 Jul 2006 03:40 PM
Posts: 2594
Location: Mount Hunter, NSW, Australia.
All over that one, thanks John!! Though I quite like roller trees, I saw some Tusq ones on Stewmac that looked very good.....

And I'll probably only need the one for the wee strings as there seems to be enough angle over the nut on 3 & 4....

_________________
FWIW, an after market esoteric nut is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, and a great way to convert your money into someone else’s.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Avenger.....
PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013 08:04 AM 
Offline
Virtuoso
User avatar

Joined: Sun 12 Sep 2004 04:02 PM
Posts: 2105
Location: Grand Absurdity, VA, temporary refuge of the Hollywood Avenger
Corsair wrote:
All over that one, thanks John!! Though I quite like roller trees, I saw some Tusq ones on Stewmac that looked very good.....

And I'll probably only need the one for the wee strings as there seems to be enough angle over the nut on 3 & 4....


Yeah, locating the one for the D & G is a little tricky. I used rollers on my AV330 (with standard strat-style trem) and the StewMac ones on my AV325 project. Just don't like the stock one you have, it's too low and tends to bind up or even cut the string.

je

_________________
...doing bad things to good Vantages since 1985...

1981 AV-320
1981 AV-320
1981 AV-325
1982 AV-320
1982 VS-695-12
1982 VSH-445
1983 AV-330
1995 VST 33 CE TBK


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Avenger.....
PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013 08:10 AM 
Offline
Virtuoso
User avatar

Joined: Sun 12 Sep 2004 04:02 PM
Posts: 2105
Location: Grand Absurdity, VA, temporary refuge of the Hollywood Avenger
Squid Head wrote:
Corsair wrote:
All over that one, thanks John!! Though I quite like roller trees, I saw some Tusq ones on Stewmac that looked very good.....

And I'll probably only need the one for the wee strings as there seems to be enough angle over the nut on 3 & 4....


Yeah, locating the one for the D & G is a little tricky. I used rollers on my AV330 (with standard strat-style trem) and the StewMac ones on my AV325 project. Just don't like the stock one you have, it's too low and tends to bind up or even cut the string.

je


Let's see if this works...my AV-330, trees a little crooked, but in the same locations as the originals:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=7077&hilit=av330&start=40#p53073

Edit- I'm gonna amend that, since these particular rollers actually pull down the strings a few mm away from the screw location, towards the nut a bit, which is a good thing especially for the D string.

je

_________________
...doing bad things to good Vantages since 1985...

1981 AV-320
1981 AV-320
1981 AV-325
1982 AV-320
1982 VS-695-12
1982 VSH-445
1983 AV-330
1995 VST 33 CE TBK


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Avenger.....
PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013 08:12 AM 
Offline
Virtuoso
User avatar

Joined: Sun 12 Sep 2004 04:02 PM
Posts: 2105
Location: Grand Absurdity, VA, temporary refuge of the Hollywood Avenger
Squid Head wrote:
Squid Head wrote:
Corsair wrote:
All over that one, thanks John!! Though I quite like roller trees, I saw some Tusq ones on Stewmac that looked very good.....

And I'll probably only need the one for the wee strings as there seems to be enough angle over the nut on 3 & 4....


Yeah, locating the one for the D & G is a little tricky. I used rollers on my AV330 (with standard strat-style trem) and the StewMac ones on my AV325 project. Just don't like the stock one you have, it's too low and tends to bind up or even cut the string.

je


Let's see if this works...my AV-330, trees a little crooked, but in the same locations as the originals:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=7077&hilit=av330&start=40#p53073

je


And, the AV-325:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7071&hilit=av325&start=60#p61504

je

_________________
...doing bad things to good Vantages since 1985...

1981 AV-320
1981 AV-320
1981 AV-325
1982 AV-320
1982 VS-695-12
1982 VSH-445
1983 AV-330
1995 VST 33 CE TBK


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Avenger.....
PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013 04:02 PM 
Offline
Virtuoso
User avatar

Joined: Wed 05 Jul 2006 03:40 PM
Posts: 2594
Location: Mount Hunter, NSW, Australia.
Good-oh; thanks for that link, mate! I think I'll go for what I know and plump for the rollers.

That's the 330 that appears on your latest video, yes?

_________________
FWIW, an after market esoteric nut is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, and a great way to convert your money into someone else’s.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Avenger.....
PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013 05:00 PM 
Offline
Virtuoso
User avatar

Joined: Mon 19 Mar 2007 08:50 AM
Posts: 1588
If the only problem with the standard string tree is that it screws down to close the the head, why not put a washer under it to raise it?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group